Captain Positions Offered to New Hires

I didn’t prep for it either, people put so much weight into what they look like on paper then show up to interviews like robots. I just showed up, smiled, talked to everyone I could and told them my story, the good, the bad and what I’ve learned so far in life as a pilot and a human. Seemed to work, and it didn’t feel like I faked my way into a job either. If I’m myself, and a company doesn’t want me then it’s best for both of us. As hard as it is to see all that potential money on the table walk away.

Say it again and say it LOUDER.

Since you (like literally everyone other than 8 people) are senior to me I think you should definitely take this attitude into a southernjets interview 🤣🤣

The grass is plenty green enough in my current pasture, but I can appreciate your attempt to climb that seniority ladder a little faster

The grass is plenty green enough in my current pasture, but I can appreciate your attempt to climb that seniority ladder a little faster

I did tell the other captain "Don't you want to finish up your career seeing America? I mean, you're just going to do your fini flight, get stuck in customs on your last day and be tired all day. I mean the 767 goes everywhere!

I did tell the other captain "Don't you want to finish up your career seeing America? I mean, you're just going to do your fini flight, get stuck in customs on your last day and be tired all day. I mean the 767 goes everywhere!

Well played

Maybe I’ll change in the long term, but I did my first JS ride last night SEA KTN JNU and it definitely confirmed to me that that is the flying I want. Was grinning from ear to ear watching the CA stick the landing in gusty KTN and the FO take us through the Channel in JNU

Maybe I’ll change in the long term, but I did my first JS ride last night SEA KTN JNU and it definitely confirmed to me that that is the flying I want. Was grinning from ear to ear watching the CA stick the landing in gusty KTN and the FO take us through the Channel in JNU

Oh no, I'm certainly a 'choose your own adventure' kind of guy, but I joked with the other, more senior captain, about moving off the jet as he approaches retirement purely for my own selfish reasons! :)

Like: "Bruh, have the buffalo wings here?"

RNP is a beautiful thing.

Oh no, I'm certainly a 'choose your own adventure' kind of guy, but I joked with the other, more senior captain, about moving off the jet as he approaches retirement purely for my own selfish reasons! :)

Like: "Bruh, have the buffalo wings here?"

Who doesn’t want a retirement flight to PAWG?

That's what attracted me to the airlines—sitting in the 73 jump coming into JNU. :(

Who doesn’t want a retirement flight to PAWG?

I think the Juneau-Gustavus turn is a severely underrated flight. We always talk about the Petersburg Wrangell but that one is just about as short. And it probably involves a long JNU overnight, which is thus far, hands down my favorite of anywhere we go. From an aviation perspective, I also really enjoy landing at KTN. Something about goosing the throttles when you get the wind shear next to whatever those mountains are, reminds me of a carrier approach. You don't get to saw the 737 throttles very often, but you can there :)

I think the Juneau-Gustavus turn is a severely underrated flight. We always talk about the Petersburg Wrangell but that one is just about as short. And it probably involves a long JNU overnight, which is thus far, hands down my favorite of anywhere we go. From an aviation perspective, I also really enjoy landing at KTN. Something about goosing the throttles when you get the wind shear next to whatever those mountains are, reminds me of a carrier approach. You don't get to saw the 737 throttles very often, but you can there :)
I just visited my family in Southeast recently and took the milk run home. It was my first time going through Petersburg and Wrangell. Thats quite a run! You work way too hard.

I just visited my family in Southeast recently and took the milk run home. It was my first time going through Petersburg and Wrangell. Thats quite a run! You work way too hard.

That is definitely working too hard, though I'm not involved with that work very often. I'm a fair weather SE bidder, to say the very least. One day I will regret that if I ever do CA OE

For some reason this summer the JNU GST turns for ANC were built into 4 days with min rest in SEA each night. As much as I enjoy that flight, it kinda sucked the fun out of it.

I didn’t prep for it either, people put so much weight into what they look like on paper then show up to interviews like robots. I just showed up, smiled, talked to everyone I could and told them my story, the good, the bad and what I’ve learned so far in life as a pilot and a human. Seemed to work, and it didn’t feel like I faked my way into a job either. If I’m myself, and a company doesn’t want me then it’s best for both of us. As hard as it is to see all that potential money on the table walk away.
I’m terrible at this. That’s why some people, like myself, needed prep. I wasn’t given any answers, they just helped me communicate my story better.

I used very minimal "prep", as I am somewhat philosophically opposed to the concept, at least in the sense that I see it as a cottage industry that is ripping off pilots. But it is useful for some people, I know. Of course I only applied to one place, and the interview here is super chill, so who knows?

I’m terrible at this. That’s why some people, like myself, needed prep. I wasn’t given any answers, they just helped me communicate my story better.

Most pilots are.

In fact, socially, we are probably the worst creatures. Thanks to a heavy type A personality, and the general fact that as pilots we know information about every subject.

Most pilots are.

In fact, socially, we are probably the worst creatures. Thanks to a heavy type A personality, and the general fact that as pilots we know information about every subject.

I'd guess the major hurdles to overcome are 1) not getting stage fright, 2) keeping your answers concise and to the point with a logical flow and finite end, and 3) not saying insane stuff that highlights what a nutjub you might be.

Thanks everyone for attending my Ted talk, go ahead and save the $500 now and use it for something more useful

Back