Future freight dog

I can't believe the backlash at this thread that's anti-CFI time. Teaching is a great way to perfect your abilities as a pilot. Nothing like not being able to touch anything and having to verbalize how to make the other guy reach the end result you're looking for. If you want to move into airline flying your ability express yourself verbally and effectively will be enhanced by working as a CFI.

I can't believe the backlash at this thread that's anti-CFI time. Teaching is a great way to perfect your abilities as a pilot. Nothing like not being able to touch anything and having to verbalize how to make the other guy reach the end result you're looking for. If you want to move into airline flying your ability express yourself verbally and effectively will be enhanced by working as a CFI.
It wasn't fair for me to lump ALL CFI experience together as it's very diverse. To clarify, I just don't value MY CFI time.

It wasn't fair for me to lump ALL CFI experience together as it's very diverse. To clarify, I just don't value MY CFI time.
And that's understandable. I've met several CFIs that seem to have not enjoyed much of their time instructing and say they didn't learn much from it... I enjoyed my time immensely because I had challenging students (MEIs, ATPs, PVT ME, CFIIs) and it forced me to go above and beyond what I think your average "instruct to 1500 hours and move on" flight instructor deals with at one of the pilot mills. I taught in Skymasters, a Tecnam, and even got to hop in a Lockheed Electra. I also taught tail wheel in a MIcco and did some basic aerobatic training in a SuperD. So I had a wide array of great experiences with instructing.

Just to clarify , when they say "pilot mills" or "puppy mills" without mentioning any names are they referring to the fast track zero to hero type schools?

it may not have been obvious, but my entire post was sarcastic.

I went from CFI to AK 135 pilot and haven't gotten myself killed, violated or fired yet.

I'm definitely not anti-CFI as I was one for 3 years. Where someone flies as a CFI can cause some negative transfer to single pilot IFR stuff. I taught in NE Ohio so actual IFR happened a lot. Many popular places to CFI and build time would allow for .3 actual IFR experience for the entire year.

Everyone is different but people that come to the single pilot stuff with 0 actual IFR experience typically have a rough time.

Jump pilot doesn't really fit well but aerial survey can provide a bit of real world experience when flying to and from jobs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

I'm definitely not anti-CFI as I was one for 3 years. Where someone flies as a CFI can cause some negative transfer to single pilot IFR stuff. I taught in NE Ohio so actual IFR happened a lot. Many popular places to CFI and build time would allow for .3 actual IFR experience for the entire year.

Everyone is different but people that come to the single pilot stuff with 0 actual IFR experience typically have a rough time.

Jump pilot doesn't really fit well but aerial survey can provide a bit of real world experience when flying to and from jobs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
For me, the survey job entailed being efficient and had an element of "having to go", so to speak. It was the managing and coordinating everything, by yourself, that was the most challenging. Particularly FBO personel that weren't all that enthusiastic to deal with a 172. Or getting into busy/restricted/prohibited airspace. If that doesn't build up your people and communication skills, I don't know what will. I'll never forget that first day. Fresh from being a hotshot UND and free-lance instructor, showing up in Daytona and being told, "you have an hour to leave for Pittsburgh. I want you there early enough to work the next day". Talk about being tossed out of "the bubble".

Perfect primer for a part 91 corporate or 135 pax job, but it transferred to freight as well. I imagine, it'd be useful in 121. People skills also. You're not just working with strangers, you're LIVING with them for months at a time. Just like freight, survey was an additional and unique perspective outside of the norm. That's a GOOD thing to have. Whatever I guess.. :)

I retract my statement about not valuing my CFI time. That too was another perspective and it taught me patience and acceptance. Which transferred well into being a training captain. One training captain I flew with didn't possess that skill, and to this day, I can't figure out why he wanted to do an arc to ILSs his way so damn bad. :)

Last edited:
For me, the survey job entailed being efficient and had an element of "having to go", so to speak. It was the managing and coordinating everything, by yourself, that was the most challenging. Particularly FBO personel that weren't all that enthusiastic to deal with a 172. Or getting into busy/restricted/prohibited airspace. If that doesn't build up your people and communication skills, I don't know what will. I'll never forget that first day. Fresh from being a hotshot UND and free-lance instructor, showing up in Daytona and being told, "you have an hour to leave for Pittsburgh. I want you there early enough to work the next day". Talk about being tossed out of "the bubble".

Perfect primer for a part 91 corporate or 135 pax job, but it transferred to freight as well. I imagine, it'd be useful in 121. People skills also. You're not just working with strangers, you're LIVING with them for months at a time. Just like freight, survey was an additional and unique perspective outside of the norm. That's a GOOD thing to have. Whatever I guess.. :)

I retract my statement about not valuing my CFI time. That too was another perspective and it taught me patience and acceptance. Which transferred well into being a training captain. One training captain I flew with didn't possess that skill, and to this day, I can't figure out why he wanted to do an arc to ILSs his way so damn bad. :)

Hit the nail right on the head! I've been wondering where to next after 3yrs of CFI now 3yrs of survey. Maybe now survey pilots will be recognized just as equal as any other type of ops! I think we need a show on Discover or History channel...call it, Sky Mappers..wow could you imagine how much drama and great prime time tv could ensue?!

Hit the nail right on the head! I've been wondering where to next after 3yrs of CFI now 3yrs of survey. Maybe now survey pilots will be recognized just as equal as any other type of ops! I think we need a show on Discover or History channel...call it, Sky Mappers..wow could you imagine how much drama and great prime time tv could ensue?!
Doubtful, aerial survey conjures up images of mowing the grass in perfect VFR. Yep, the weather is usually clear and a million on a survey day, but the course is 129 feet wide on both sides(ILS is 300 feet wide on each side at the threshold), the altitude is +/-50 feet. That's just the flying. Not to mention all the EXTENSIVE coordination required with ATC, the military, the police/secret service/FBI(SFRA for instance). I've seen first hand what poor "soft skills" do in that situation. You're not working... :) Oh, and the 3000 mile cross countries, weather be damned, get there. Even if takes diverting several states/days. Too many other ADM/"CRM"(we weren't IN the same plane but there are still issues) scenarios to list.

I will not accept anyone saying that CFIing is better. I will accept arguments about SOME CFI opportunities being equal, but better, proper, or the ONLY way a low time pilot SHOULD get their time is ridiculous. It is a fantastic alternative.

I think a show would be just a bunch of behind the scenes interviews of guys expressing how much they HATE the other guy, hangovers, and partying. :)

I think a show would be just a bunch of behind the scenes interviews of guys expressing how much they HATE the other guy, hangovers, and partying. :)

What company did you work for? :p I know nothing of the sort! :rolleyes: I'm talking inter office drama, maintenance issues, plus the plethora of crews on the road... I think it would be cool. If not for mainstream tv there's a ton of talented photogs and videogs who work for us that could make an equivalent vid. I'm sure it would boost morale. Especially for the FNGs

I'm quickly approaching a whopping 300 hours. I can fly an airplane in a straight line most of the time, I can turn left and right. I like long walks on the beach and my aspirations are to have a flying job driving that caravan with friendly boxes in the rear, and also to live at the beach in a van. And I am dead serious too. Is anyone hiring for a maniac such as myself ?

Also I'd like to share my situation and see what advise you all might have. RIght not I am studying for my CFI, but I really just want to get out there and start my adventure. I would travel anywhere at this point including alaska, however my employer now gives me full time benefits at part time status. It makes it harder for me to ditch my plan of working my job now part time keeping the benefits, then instructing after my shift is over and applying to a company that offers benefits once I have my hours. BUT at the same time I am a 31 year old guy who is single and eager to have an adventure. I can pack all of my belongings in 3 seconds and be on my way. I am getting this feeling in my stomach that says " Just do it", or maybe i'm just looking at my shoes. What do you think?

Does anyone know if era alaska or any alaskan operator still offer that caravan SIC apprenticeship... If so then I'm g o n e!

Does anyone know if era alaska or any alaskan operator still offer that caravan SIC apprenticeship... If so then I'm g o n e!
I'm pretty sure no one does that anymore. It's hilariously worthless time to. Locking you into that company forever because no one will count a bunch of your time towards a better job. ACE and Ryan hire some pretty low time guys as SIC's on CASAs and 1900s though. Penair has a couple of Saabs under 135.

Back