Future freight dog

I'll agree with some of what has already been said. But there are certainly exceptions to the typical CFI experience. I got the opportunity to teach under a chief that was big into aerobatics and routinely grabbed us CFIs to come learn a thing or two when he went up to practice a routine. I think this depends on where you teach, not just if you teach. I would say dip your hand into as many different types of flying as you can. If you teach at a puppy-mill type of school, your experience and growth will suffer. If you can teach or fly at an FBO where you have the potential to hop in multiple types of airplanes, and maybe do other things like banner towing or traffic watch, or the occasional oddball flight that may have you digging through the books to ensure its legality, it will add to your experience - as well as keep you from getting bored and frustrated. I think it is possible to get a flying education in the civilian world that's as good as that in the military (minus the exceptional, mil-specific skills), but it is entirely up to you to seek out those opportunities. Sounds like you're on the right track though!

Last edited:
Would you know of any companies in the Socal area that I should look into? P.S.. My cats breath smells like a dead animal
No idea. The survey flying I'm talking about has you on the road for 7 months straight. Location wouldn't matter. :) Probably doesn't sound all that appealing, but it is challenging, a ton of fun, and you'll make A LOT of money. (Relatively speaking) Look at the "pictometry thread" in the jobs available forum.

No idea. The survey flying I'm talking about has you on the road for 7 months straight. Location wouldn't matter. :) Probably doesn't sound all that appealing, but it is challenging, a ton of fun, and you'll make A LOT of money. (Relatively speaking) Look at the "pictometry thread" in the jobs available forum.
Ill check it out...thanks

I'll agree with some of what has already been said. But there are certainly exceptions to the typical CFI experience. I got the opportunity to teach under a chief that was big into aerobatics and routinely grabbed us CFIs to come learn a thing or two when he went up to practice a routine. I think this depends on where you teach, not just if you teach. I would say dip your hand into as many different types of flying as you can. If you teach at a puppy-mill type of school, your experience and growth will suffer. If you can teach or fly at an FBO where you have the potential to hop in multiple types of airplanes, and maybe do other things like banner towing or traffic watch, or the occasional oddball flight that may have you digging through the books to ensure its legality, it will add to your experience - as well as keep you from getting bored and frustrated. I think it is possible to get a flying education in the civilian world that's as good as that in the military (minus the exceptional, mil-specific skills), but it is entirely up to you to seek out those opportunities. Sounds like you're on the right track though!
Excellent advice... Thanks

Haha! You've got a sense of humor, excellent! Resume@kasurveys.com. Doesn't hurt to throw it in! I can't promise anything at the moment, get those times up a bit but at least you'll be on file!
Ok I'm working on those hours. I tried to send out my résumé in the mail today but its so light the wind blew it away before I could put the little red flag up. Maybe next week will be better.

Great thread. . I'm in the same boat, I don't want to instruct right now, but I'm not seeing many other options. I'll keep flying and looking for work.. My medical is still on hold due to the govt closure.

Great thread. . I'm in the same boat, I don't want to instruct right now, but I'm not seeing many other options. I'll keep flying and looking for work.. My medical is still on hold due to the govt closure.
And a small boat at that, actually its more like a halfway flat swimming pool floaty. Are u in the SoCal area by any chance my friend ?

If you are looking for time, check out chalk2 up in APV. Good experience and time building. Guys have gone from there to freight, charter, etc.

Another +1 for aerial survey. While my buddies were babysitting pre-privates in the traffic pattern of the airport they learned to fly at, I was visiting new airports all across the country. Also, being a California pilot (as I am) you really need to get out to other parts of the country that have actual weather every day. Threading thunderstorms in the midwest and southeast and learning all about ice in the northwest with crazy high MEAs will be valuable experience.

Mowing lawns in the sky gets tedious, but it is a great time builder and the in between flying is great. Try Aperture Aviation in San Jose or Martech out in Jacksonville FL. I flew with both companies and they were great experience. I even got fly all over Alaska one month with Martech. Pretty great stuff for a low time commercial pilot.

Another +1 for aerial survey. While my buddies were babysitting pre-privates in the traffic pattern of the airport they learned to fly at, I was visiting new airports all across the country. Also, being a California pilot (as I am) you really need to get out to other parts of the country that have actual weather every day. Threading thunderstorms in the midwest and southeast and learning all about ice in the northwest with crazy high MEAs will be valuable experience.

Mowing lawns in the sky gets tedious, but it is a great time builder and the in between flying is great. Try Aperture Aviation in San Jose or Martech out in Jacksonville FL. I flew with both companies and they were great experience. I even got fly all over Alaska one month with Martech. Pretty great stuff for a low time commercial pilot.
I'll NEVER forget the long cross countries. Serious exercises in judgement(or lack there of sometimes). Learned where my absolute limits for fatigue are and what it looks/feels like too. Oh, and it will test your sanity on some days. :) I'll NEVER forget Spokane(part 1 and 2). @Jfk-Pilot was with me for part one. We are probably the only two people on the planet to hate that place. :) Part 2 was 10 hours of flying a day. 238 hours that month. UGH!

I'll go ahead and throw in my .02...

I have had almost every low-time commercial job under the sun. I flew skydivers, traffic watch, CFI'd for about 500 hours, and now I fly for an aerial survey company.

Diver-driving is fun but almost worthless time. Single-engine piston (usually) and no night/Cxc time. Same can be said for traffic watch.

I loved/love being a CFI. And contrary to what many have said, it is not worthless experience. Sure it is experience that is shrouded within the relative safety of a flight school but it will teach you many invaluable lessons along the way. It will reinforce all of the fundamentals that you learned through training and will take with you the rest of your career. I am a much better instrument pilot than many of my peers because of having shot hundreds of approaches and getting into actual IMC before getting into the"real world" of flying. I'm also much more Multi-proficient than many of the around me because I spent 200 hours teaching single-engine procedures, Vmc demos, and single-engine ops in a Multi. I think the most important thing you learn as a CFI though is something that will serve you throughout your career. How to be in the cockpit with another person and how to teach AND learn at the same time. Can't stress that one enough.

And I also agree with many of the other poster's sentiments. Aerial surveying has taught me a lot in a short period of time about "real world" flying. Flying single-engine piston equipment in night IMC in the mountains will make it hit home quick that this job can definitely be for keeps. And you will learn and reinforce a lot of valuable stick and rudder skills, shoot approaches at various airports all over the country, fly in/around all types of wx from thunderstorms and icing to mountain turbulence. And you will also deal with things breaking from time to time and other Mx issues. Real world stuff that requires you to put to use all the things you learned throughout your training. Not just practice them like when you are instructing or being instructed. It will certainly ring new life to the term ADM and make you a great, we'll-rounded pilot.

I'll go ahead and throw in my .02...

I have had almost every low-time commercial job under the sun. I flew skydivers, traffic watch, CFI'd for about 500 hours, and now I fly for an aerial survey company.

Diver-driving is fun but almost worthless time. Single-engine piston (usually) and no night/Cxc time. Same can be said for traffic watch.

I loved/love being a CFI. And contrary to what many have said, it is not worthless experience. Sure it is experience that is shrouded within the relative safety of a flight school but it will teach you many invaluable lessons along the way. It will reinforce all of the fundamentals that you learned through training and will take with you the rest of your career. I am a much better instrument pilot than many of my peers because of having shot hundreds of approaches and getting into actual IMC before getting into the"real world" of flying. I'm also much more Multi-proficient than many of the around me because I spent 200 hours teaching single-engine procedures, Vmc demos, and single-engine ops in a Multi. I think the most important thing you learn as a CFI though is something that will serve you throughout your career. How to be in the cockpit with another person and how to teach AND learn at the same time. Can't stress that one enough.

And I also agree with many of the other poster's sentiments. Aerial surveying has taught me a lot in a short period of time about "real world" flying. Flying single-engine piston equipment in night IMC in the mountains will make it hit home quick that this job can definitely be for keeps. And you will learn and reinforce a lot of valuable stick and rudder skills, shoot approaches at various airports all over the country, fly in/around all types of wx from thunderstorms and icing to mountain turbulence. And you will also deal with things breaking from time to time and other Mx issues. Real world stuff that requires you to put to use all the things you learned throughout your training. Not just practice them like when you are instructing or being instructed. It will certainly ring new life to the term ADM and make you a great, we'll-rounded pilot.
Thanks for the excellent points

Don't CFI, all you ever do is laps around the traffic pattern in CAVU. You certainly never go into class B airports at night, in weather, while trying to keep the knucklehead in the other seat from killing you or getting you violated. You definitely won't learn ANYTHING about ADM or CRM. You'll never get a chance to fly IFR or special VFR, no one except a regional will let you touch their airplane, and if by some miracle they do you'll be dead, violated, or fired before you're off probation. Besides that, if you're looking for the pay bump that comes with company instructor or check airman at a 135 op having CFI time looks terrible.

Back