CFI Initial - Notice of Disapproval - Still waiting...

Cool story bro. I failed my CFI. I haven’t had another failed check ride or bent metal for the 15+ years. Lump me in with the poor applicant pile. That’s fine.

You know why I don’t care what you think? You don’t matter. Your job is a joke and aviation training is a dumpster fire. The FAA and everyone involved is something for professionals to laugh at.

Say what you want to make yourself feel better. Oh look. No one cares because you’re the aviation career equivalent of a bump in the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s pretty harsh. Fly_Unity seems like one of the good guys.

That’s pretty harsh. Fly_Unity seems like one of the good guys.

If the examiner had busted me on not knowing the dry adiabatic lapse rate or some other part of the oral? Fine.

But bust me on the hand eye coordination portion of the checkride? Haha. Then have me come out the next day and do it again for about 1000$ The exact same maneuver as before and have me pass? When I got back to the school with a failure my instructor asked if I had failed the power off 180. Then said don’t worry he will have you do it again tomorrow and you’ll pass.

It’s a corrupt system. The same one that gave us the 737 MAX debacle. No enforcement of 135 duty rules (24 hours on call is rest?). The horrible pilot mental health/medical situation.

But yeah if we talk about it we were probably unprepared students. That’s totally something a good person would say. That kind of attitude wouldn’t be one that props up a failed, corrupt system that enables slimy horrible operators and punishes good people. Nope not at all.

Probably could have studied more to nail that power off 180...

1612717571441.jpeg

If the examiner had busted me on not knowing the dry adiabatic lapse rate or some other part of the oral? Fine.

But bust me on the hand eye coordination portion of the checkride? Haha. Then have me come out the next day and do it again for about 1000$ The exact same maneuver as before and have me pass? When I got back to the school with a failure my instructor asked if I had failed the power off 180. Then said don’t worry he will have you do it again tomorrow and you’ll pass.

It’s a corrupt system. The same one that gave us the 737 MAX debacle. No enforcement of 135 duty rules (24 hours on call is rest?). The horrible pilot mental health/medical situation.

But yeah if we talk about it we were probably unprepared students. That’s totally something a good person would say. That kind of attitude wouldn’t be one that props up a failed, corrupt system that enables slimy horrible operators and punishes good people. Nope not at all.

There's a lot of conflation there. How long ago was it?

Cool story bro. I failed my CFI. I haven’t had another failed check ride or bent metal for the 15+ years. Lump me in with the poor applicant pile. That’s fine.

You know why I don’t care what you think? You don’t matter. Your job is a joke and aviation training is a dumpster fire. The FAA and everyone involved is something for professionals to laugh at.

Say what you want to make yourself feel better. Oh look. No one cares because you’re the aviation career equivalent of a bump in the road.

Just to make sure I’m following the conversation...

A guy tells his story about failing a checkride. Other people chime in with experiences, some complaining about DPEs. An actual DPE and longtime respected JC member tells about his experiences as an actual DPE. He makes a respectful post and concludes with wishing the OP luck and passing along advice. You respond to him with insults? I mean, he even said he doesn’t charge for retests.

Did I miss something?

And aren’t you the guy that bad stuff always “happens to?”

Last edited:
Just to make sure I’m following the conversation...

A guy tells his story about failing a checkride. Other people chime in with experiences, some complaining about DPEs. An actual DPE and longtime respected JC member tells about his experiences as an actual DPE. He makes a respectful post and concludes with wishing the OP luck and passing along advice. You respond to him with insults? I mean, he even said he doesn’t charge for retests.

Did I miss something?

And aren’t you the guy that bad stuff always “happens to?”

I don’t know. Looking back at my career I failed one checkride and flew with one awful group of humans.

I wouldn’t say that’s a bad run. But hey you can be as hyperbolic as you like. It suits you.

The thing about being unprepared was what got to me. I was unprepared to fork out more money and another airplane rental to a corrupt system with unethical examiners and a horrible government agency that is mostly responsible for this career being horrible.

I was not unprepared for my checkride.

Being unnecessarily #triggggered aside, I did my IFR/CP ASEL/ASES/AMEL/CFI/CFII with two DPEs, split about evenly, just depending on who was available on fairly short notice. Both were considered to be on the harder side of the local spectrum, both I found to be completely fair. They are also friends to the best of my knowledge.
That being said, the two have COMPLETELY different idea of how a power off 180 should be performed. One was giving me crap about mine, the second one thought them to be exemplary. Same maneuver, performed identically. One’s philosophy was that the PTS (back then) allows you a window of error for altitude (I forget what it was now and too lazy to look up. 100 feet up or down?), err on the side of high in the beginning, and then fly the power off 180 as close to a standard pattern as possible. That same guy also had me do it all on 2300ft runway that I thankfully went to before like once for cheap fuel. In retrospect, that was a good thing, as I concentrated and stressed about it just enough to up my motivation to give the best I could. There were people have also failed just by stressing over that runway being shorter, than what they were used to. Chalk it up to the guy’s fight against the puppy mills. The other guy agreed with me on power off 180 being a “point it at the numbers asafp and then bleed off the extra energy when/if needed” maneuver. Two DPEs, both with “he’s hard” reputation, knew each other very well, completely different understanding of how the maneuver should look like.

I don’t know. Looking back at my career I failed one checkride and flew with one awful group of humans.

I wouldn’t say that’s a bad run. But hey you can be as hyperbolic as you like. It suits you.

The thing about being unprepared was what got to me. I was unprepared to fork out more money and another airplane rental to a corrupt system with unethical examiners and a horrible government agency that is mostly responsible for this career being horrible.

so $500 in 2000 still gets to you?

I still don’t understand - what does your failed checkride have to do with you insulting fly_unity?

You want to grind an axe against the DPE programs, you do you.

In THIS thread, you go double-live-gonzo jerk on someone who is a long-standing member of this community (like you) and offered some reasonable insight. Why can’t you reciprocate?

Please don’t be like one of those awful humans you flew with. Tone deafness is hard to detect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You want to grind an axe against the DPE programs, you do you.

In THIS thread, you go double-live-gonzo jerk on someone who is a long-standing member of this community (like you) and offered some reasonable insight. Why can’t you reciprocate?

Please don’t be like one of those awful humans you flew with. Tone deafness is hard to detect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The reasonable insight was that applicants who failed were unprepared? Maybe I read that wrong? So pardon the pun but I had some beef with that.

It doesn’t seem like reasonable insight to me. That’s gaslighting.

The reasonable insight was that applicants who failed were unprepared? Maybe I read that wrong? So pardon the pun but I had some beef with that.

It doesn’t seem like reasonable insight to me. That’s gaslighting.

It's not your position I have a problem with, it was your delivery and your tone.

Also - I should have said, "who offered some reasonable insight" - referring to FlyUnity - instead of saying "and offered some reasonable insight."

It's not your position I have a problem with, it was your delivery and your tone.

Also - I should have said, "who offered some reasonable insight" - referring to FlyUnity - instead of saying "and offered some reasonable insight."

Why the ever loving F would I give a hoot about my tone or delivery with a group of people who bring up the worst moment of my life, almost constantly?

Why the ever loving F would I give a hoot about my tone or delivery with a group of people who bring up the worst moment of my life, almost constantly?

Perhaps because you keep acting like the very people you decry.

Whatever. You've heard this before.

Hey @Autothrust Blue. What thread was it where you were talking about how you don’t have to be an introvert to be socially awkward?

Beef’s delivery is pretty bad but he’s not necessarily wrong about a lot of DPEs out there.

Yeah, but that’s like yelling at the waiter during a good meal about a bad experience you had at burger Kong 9 years ago.
Plus I think @Fly_Unity would probably agree and made a rather informative post about how it seems the FAA is trying to improve.

Back