Flight crew mooning cars on highway etc.

It's actually pretty common for the perp's profession to be included in news reports about criminal activity IME. Why it's necessary, I don't know, but I guess it's just info to put out there like age, gender, and ethnicity.

It's actually pretty common for the perp's profession to be included in news reports about criminal activity IME. Why it's necessary, I don't know, but I guess it's just info to put out there like age, gender, and ethnicity.

right but what i think we're saying is, out of how many hundreds of drunk bozos that were arrested over the weekend for bozo things like, mooning, peeing in public, public intoxication.... how many of those reports get printed?...the one about the airline pilot of course!!:panic:

right but what i think we're saying is, out of how many hundreds of drunk bozos that were arrested over the weekend for bozo things like, mooning, peeing in public, public intoxication.... how many of those reports get printed?...the one about the airline pilot of course!!:panic:

I don't know, in maryville, tn they probably report all of it. In my hometown (20k peeps) they had a section in the local rag devoted to arrests in which they'd publish the name, age, and offense of every single person arrested that week. It'd take up a full page of the paper most of the time.

I don't know, in maryville, tn they probably report all of it. In my hometown (20k peeps) they had a section in the local rag devoted to arrests in which they'd publish the name, age, and offense of every single person arrested that week. It'd take up a full page of the paper most of the time.

Some newspapers and radio stations include all of that and their street address.:)

Some newspapers and radio stations include all of that and their street address.:)

Our small town in MS did that. Funny was when someone with my wife's name was arrested, tooks weeks to convince people it wasn't her. That and everyone letting me know when they saw our car drive north of town when then knew she worked south. :cwm27:

Because people expect more of pilots since it is a job of high responsibility.

And yet they only want to pay peanuts for their plane ticket :banghead::banghead: Isn't it amazing, honestly, I don't think the company has any grounds to discipline anyone not on the companies clock. Last I checked airlines ain't the military. Of course they are too broke to get a decent lawyer.

So what

And yet they only want to pay peanuts for their plane ticket :banghead::banghead: Isn't it amazing, honestly, I don't think the company has any grounds to discipline anyone not on the companies clock. Last I checked airlines ain't the military. Of course they are too broke to get a decent lawyer.

Who cares what they want to pay.

Do you?

I don't care what they want to pay for a ticket. Hey, I'd want to pay peanuts for a ticket too, wouldn't you? If a ticket is for sale for a massive discount, I'd be more likely to buy it if it's the same product as a pricier ticket.

What the public wants to pay for airfare has no relevance on how a flight crew should conduct themselves at work.

Notice I said at work -- this event was not at work so I am not sure that it is all the media has made it out to be. However, it made the news because flight crew was in it and that's a more exciting story than a bum mooning traffic for the third time in a month.

Pilots, police officers, politicians, members of the military, celebrities, some government employees (like someone who works at the Pentagon), and probably a few more will have their professions listed in the newspaper when they get arrested.

It is what it is. Don't do stupid bleep.

Read that FOM very carefully.

Wise words, Doug...wise words.
It still amazes me when some of my coworkers bitch and moan about the company's rules and regulations, choose to ignore them, then get all pissy when they get reprimanded or written up for violations. Do people honestly think THEY'RE going to be the one to make the company change its policies? :banghead:

Kids, you KNEW the rules (or shame on you if you DIDN'T read them) before accepting employment. If you can't or don't want to adhere to your airlines "stupid" policies, JUST SAY NO to employment. :rolleyes:

Ha my favorite was the story about pilots in full uniform going to the office to sign up for food stamps. Our FOM now reads 'A pilot will not allow his personal finances to reflect poorly upon the company' or something similar.

Pilots, police officers, politicians, members of the military, celebrities, some government employees (like someone who works at the Pentagon), and probably a few more will have their professions listed in the newspaper when they get arrested.

It is what it is. Don't do stupid bleep.

I realize it hits a sore spot with all of us when this happens, but clocks is right. Any position in the public eye will get mentioned. I am a fireman by career, and a pilot for fun, but both jobs are jobs looked highly upon by the public, and as a result the public is curious to read about when we get out of line...not sure why, but it is what it is. Sometimes in my field, this public microscope is what keeps some people in line. When you sign up for any of these jobs, you realize that this is part of it. If we want people in the public to look up to us and look at our profession as honorable, we also have to remember that at times, the opposite is true. Someone who works in a factory, although they are very hard working, generally isn't talked about in either light...good or bad. Pilots, teachers, cops, fireman are looked upon with respect, but what comes with it is the opportunity to be looked upon as the opposite. We need to all own up to it and remember this anytime we step out into the public. I realize this particular situation is a bunch a crap, but many others arent. Just my .02.

Mark

People do this and then they wonder where the respect for the profession has gone...

I agree. It is a disgrace.

Granted 99% of crews have the judgement to know when to stop drinking or know when it's not even an option on a layover, but it's involuntarily vocal minority that makes the headlines. And when 100% of the crew fits that bill there's nobody in the group to take charge and know any better I guess.

Watch the video on the right side of this page:

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=9086280&nav=menu7_1_7

Yeah, and where has the pay for the profession gone also? The public also believes we all rake in the big money with such a huge responsibility. Every crew should start saying cheers with some bourbon on the rocks to every passenger walking off on that +8 hours from next flight. FO should hold the tip jar in the other hand!

I don't drink on trips for several reasons.
1) Alcohol reduces the quality of sleep and can cause insomnia.
2) Your buddy you may have just met may get you into trouble by association.
3) There will never be a question of FAR or FOM compliance.

Captain here seems to have pooched this one and probably deserved it.

I don't see why the FO had to be arrested. He wasn't mooning the cars, and he didnt seem to be the one who got into an argument with the staff at the restaurant? According to the report he was arrested because he admitted to having 5 drinks. Public intoxication laws basically gives the cops leeway to arrest anyone in public that has had anything to drink. Whether or not they are out of control.

Back