Video of pilot taking down unruly passenger July 21...

I would have to the FA not to get physical. Do your best to block the door. But whatever you do, don't put your hands on him.

I would think that the FA is going to probably lose her job for over serving this guy, and the ensuing events. The pilot will probably have some explaining to do, have to sit through a few meetings with a union and their attorney, but will probably be okay.

There are no winners in a situation like this.

I would consider other medical factors that probably were not reported, if had had been on any prescribed or over the counter drugs, the effects of altitude, if had eaten or been drinking prior etc etc. Crazy. Glad the captain slammed him down!

I would consider other medical factors that probably were not reported, if had had been on any prescribed or over the counter drugs, the effects of altitude, if had eaten or been drinking prior etc etc. Crazy. Glad the captain slammed him down!

Kudos to the Captain. Had it been me I would have played the knock out game with him.

I would have just let this moron walk off the aircraft and hit the ground before the jet bridge even connected. I mean, he was really impatient...why not? This would have expedited deplaning

If he walks off, breaks a leg - can he sue? how does that work?

Yes, and it would be likely that the airline wouldn't fight it, but settle. Was the seatbelt sign off and why was the door open for so long waiting for the air stairs/jetway? It's idiots like that who happen to raise insurance premiums.

I would have just let this moron walk off the aircraft and hit the ground before the jet bridge even connected. I mean, he was really impatient...why not? This would have expedited deplaning

Except the CRJ has built in airstairs.

@Bob Ridpath yes, there could very well be extenuating circumstances that would preclude a rapid response and that's fine, but the frequency with which that sort of thing happens makes me wonder if their response plans and staffing levels are at all realistic.

There is a policy in CLT that if you call for EMS or Police on ramp frequency (which are Piedmont folks), or a gate agent calls for assistance, or anyone else associated with Piedmont, a Piedmont supervisor must come out and see what is going on. Then, after the supervisor determines if Police or EMS are actually required, they call them. Cardiac Arrest in the jet bridge or in the terminal, you must wait 15 minutes for the PDT supervisor to come out and see what is going on, and then they call for the Paramedics (which are always in the airport). Fuel spilling onto the ramp, same thing.

Anyone that has been in CLT for any amount of time has witnessed this, and will call the FAA (call on ground or tower freq.) and request that they roll the trucks and add an ambulance for a medical emergency, or just that they need law enforcement ASAP. They will roll assistance immediately.
Wow, WTF

It sucks when there is the need, no doubt. I would guess that at any given time of day JFK has the population of a small to medium city (tens to a hundred thousand?) people (passengers, staff, family members, etc) on the ground in the immediate response area of the airport paramedics (if such are dedicated), without taking into account inbound emergencies. EMS crews, even dedicated to the facility, can't just abandon a patient once contact has been without transferring care to an appropriate other provider, even if the first injury is of less priority than the inbound emergency.

Were the requested medical resources prior-committed? Was there a mechanical issue that slowed the response, or an emergency on their own responding crew, so another one (more distant) had to be sent? It happens, unfortunately.

Many on this website are property-owners who pay taxes for a range of public services, from administrative/governmental through police/fire/EMS and a host in-between. The balancing act between income and expense generally comes at the expense of public safety, rather than administrative support services. Who wants to pay more for increased staffing against the need it will be THEIR loved one or property at risk? It's a crap shoot, honestly, more often than most people realize.

It may be safer for a community to field three (or three hundred) cops per shift, but two (or two hundred) can usually handle the need. Six medics at the airport may provide a quicker response or redundancy when need exists, but four are less expensive and usually sufficient. Volunteers need time after dispatch to get to the rigs and then drive to the scene, but paid staff in sufficient numbers cost tax dollars no one really wants to pay until it's THEIR house on fire.

Unfortunately, the exact time of your emergency COULD be the moment the nearest timely resource is already committed to someone else's need.

I just figure a situation gets "sprung" upon me, I need stuff, I ask for help, I presume it's going to be there with enough notice.

"Sorry ma'am, you can't breath, the doctors say you'll make another hour but there's a shift change (from tribal knowledge) so we're going to hold until the new crew comes on, briefs, has their coffee and gets in position" says no one. :)

In general yes you are right you can learn to take someone down. But I wouldn't count on few hours of practicing at some course being the only training you're going to need to take someone to the ground.

From what I remember from watching the clip earlier. They did a pretty good take down, and hold procedure, until authorities arrived. It looked almost like what we do here. We're trained in non-violent CPI here at the level 1 psychiatric facilities, and it's largely b.s. Real talk. You do what you have to do (within' reason) to safely take the person down, and restrain them until help arrives. .

Except the CRJ has built in airstairs.

@Bob Ridpath yes, there could very well be extenuating circumstances that would preclude a rapid response and that's fine, but the frequency with which that sort of thing happens makes me wonder if their response plans and staffing levels are at all realistic.

As an emergency first responder and a 911 dispatcher, I ABSOLUTELY agree that staffing levels are inadequate. My concern is that those who approve the budgets (politicians) play with the lives of people for the sake of those tax dollars. Engine companies are shut down, medic positions are understaffed, fewer police patrols cover larger areas ... Maybe someone could reference a source where politicians salary and benefits (often for part-time work) are cut, or raises unapproved, to save tax dollars.

The extenuating circumstances were meant to suggest inadequate staffing, not to serve as a justification. The only time someone legitimately needs our services is in an emergency. Historically we staffed properly against what MIGHT occur, and in order to insure safe operations. That has changed dramatically within my lifetime. People die, generally strangers to the decision-makers, because immediate help is spread too thinly.

Politicians, dependent on the good will of the electorate, cut finite funding (though rarely, at best, their own). Taxpayers applaud the reductions, until they need EMS/Fire/Police that has to come mutual aid or from the far end of a jurisdiction/district. Increased response times result in more deaths, longer recovery times and greater property loss.

I want to make this clear: I agree one hundred and ten percent with those who think this is a travesty. I meant simply to point out the reality (generally due to funding resources), NOT to justify that this situation is OK.

Last edited:
As an emergency first responder and a 911 dispatcher, I ABSOLUTELY agree that staffing levels are inadequate. My concern is that those who approve the budgets (politicians) play with the lives of people for the sake of those tax dollars. Engine companies are shut down, medic positions are understaffed, fewer police patrols cover larger areas ... Maybe someone could reference a source where politicians salary and benefits (often for part-time work) are cut, or raises unapproved, to save tax dollars.

The extenuating circumstances were meant to suggest inadequate staffing, not to serve as a justification. The only time someone legitimately needs our services is in an emergency. Historically we staffed properly against what MIGHT occur, and in order to insure safe operations. That has changed dramatically within my lifetime. People die, generally strangers to the decision-makers, because immediate help is spread too thinly.

Politicians, dependent on the good will of the electorate, cut finite funding (though rarely, at best, their own). Taxpayers applaud the reductions, until they need EMS/Fire/Police that has to come mutual aid or from the far end of a jurisdiction/district. Increased response times result in more deaths, longer recovery times and greater property loss.

I don't think that is across the board...because I have been a passenger on a Southwest flight from ABQ to ATL somehow connecting in LAS. After we departed LAS, an older passenger started to have difficulty breathing, and they followed all the protocol with dispatch and doctors and it was decided to declare an emergency and get on the ground, the closest airport at that point being ABQ. We were on the ground and met by emergency personnel and medics who were on the plane within five minutes of us landing (the door was opened and they promptly jumped on) and within 30 minutes the crew had been briefed, the passenger was on their way to the hospital and we were back on our way to ATL. The only painful part of that process was the fact that we stopped at the origination point, and we got into ATL late enough that the plane train wasn't running. You don't realize how large that airport is until you don't have the option to use it.

There is a policy in CLT that if you call for EMS or Police on ramp frequency (which are Piedmont folks), or a gate agent calls for assistance, or anyone else associated with Piedmont, a Piedmont supervisor must come out and see what is going on. Then, after the supervisor determines if Police or EMS are actually required, they call them. Cardiac Arrest in the jet bridge or in the terminal, you must wait 15 minutes for the PDT supervisor to come out and see what is going on, and then they call for the Paramedics (which are always in the airport). Fuel spilling onto the ramp, same thing.

Anyone that has been in CLT for any amount of time has witnessed this, and will call the FAA (call on ground or tower freq.) and request that they roll the trucks and add an ambulance for a medical emergency, or just that they need law enforcement ASAP. They will roll assistance immediately.
I had this issue in YVR one day with a man physically beating a small child. A supervisor from the airline had to come to the gate, and informed us "we don't want to get involved if it's a family issue." The supervisor decided to do something once the guy threatened the gate agent, though.

I had this issue in YVR one day with a man physically beating a small child. A supervisor from the airline had to come to the gate, and informed us "we don't want to get involved if it's a family issue." The supervisor decided to do something once the guy threatened the gate agent, though.

Normally a kid brings everybody running. We had a guy beating his girlfriend's 2 year old child in flight once. A Marine was able to keep the guy in his seat against the window while we diverted in to STL but by the time we rolled up to the gate there were about 30 police officers and FBI agents (still not sure why they were there) waiting for us. Pretty impressive to see.

Normally a kid brings everybody running. We had a guy beating his girlfriend's 2 year old child in flight once. A Marine was able to keep the guy in his seat against the window while we diverted in to STL but by the time we rolled up to the gate there were about 30 police officers and FBI agents (still not sure why they were there) waiting for us. Pretty impressive to see.

The logic of people is just baffling. It is bad enough that people do that behind closed doors, but in the presence of others? Do you really think anyone is going to stand by and let that happen? Maybe that was a good thing in the case of that child, and one can hope that boyfriend is out of the picture.

Back