ExpressJet Interview 02/28/06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah no kidding. The Holiday Inn Expresses we stay it in Mexico are nicer than most Hiltons and Doubletrees stateside. Most US corporate franchise type hotels in Mexico are super-clean.

Fiesta Inns and Camino Reals are usually pretty nice too.

That is pretty interesting... I think I would be game for something like that actually. 1-3 nights a month down there would actually be fun I would think. I was afraid they would just stick you on that route and that is all you would be flying or something.

Bob, I'm not quite that anal about the water and shower deal, but it is good to know that expressjet doesn't get all pissy about crews snagging water bottles like some other airlines I have heard about.

buffalopilot said:
All this takl about XJT makes me want to head in that direction. If you live where you are based, how often are you home?
Living where you are based is the shiznit! Commuting works... but it isn't always fun. As long as you know that, and plan ahead going into it... then you'll be OK.

If you live in Base while on reserve then you have the potential of being home 30 to 31 days a month and getting paid for 75 hours! ;)

For XJT: You are guaranteed 11 days off on 30 day bid periods and 12 days off on 31 day bid periods. Any day that scheduling doesn't call you... is another paid day at home.

While on reserve many pilots commute to their base/crashpad the day before their reserve time starts, and can't commute home until after their last day of reserve for the week... if you do the math... worse case scenario means you spend very little time at home if you don't live in base while on reserve.

When you become a line holder then you get between 12-18 days off a month based on seniority. But you also have more control over your schedule. You can trade trips and drop trips (coveragle allowing). For example... I currently attempt to drop and trade so as to fly only about 60 or so hours a month, commutable trips, and around 16+/- days off to spend with my family.

Hope that helps,

Bob

buffalopilot said:
All this takl about XJT makes me want to head in that direction. If you live where you are based, how often are you home?

I live approximately 30 minutes from EWR where I'm based so I'll bite. This month I have 14 days off built into my line. It is worth over 90 hours of pay which is higher than usual, but typical of this month's lines. It is made up of 2 day trips and 1 day trips so I'm home as much as possible. In fact, I'm only gone 5 nights in March. The best part is having Fri.-Sun. or Sat.-Mon. off each week. Typically I do not do a lot of day trips because I hate doing 4 leg days (most day trips are either 2 legs which is good but generally senior called "turns" or 4 legs which well, stink) and I don't like to spend too much time in the car and parking lot bus. 2 day trips generally are 3 legs per day which I really like. Usually a 2 day line will put me away from home 8 nights a month, put some extra per diem in my pocket, and cut down on gas money.

Captain_Bob said:
Tim,

You have to relax a bit... Mexico is not that bad. Yes we do have guys who are super freaky about it and try to bath in bottled water... but those guys are... well... those guys. I've never bathed, brushed my teeth, washed my hands, etc... in bottled water. A lot of what you hear is pure paranoia from folks who may have had one bad experience or who have heard "stories" about it.

We also have guys who refuse to leave their hotel rooms on long overnights for fear of the unknown. Like I said... Mexico is probably some of the best overnights I've had... I've gotten to experience Culture, Markets, Pyramids, History, Beautiful Cathedrals, Fantastic Dining, and wonderful people... But you have to be willing to take a few steps outside your room.

Speaking of rooms... Mexico Hotels are typically nicer than a lot of the stateside hotels.

Bob

I brushed my teeth with bottled water while I was deployed in Southwest Asia a few years ago. I am in the Air Force, by the way. We were told not to use the tap water for brushing our teeth. LOL

Alchemy said:
Yeah no kidding. The Holiday Inn Expresses we stay it in Mexico are nicer than most Hiltons and Doubletrees stateside. Most US corporate franchise type hotels in Mexico are super-clean.

Fiesta Inns and Camino Reals are usually pretty nice too.
Thats b/c all of teh house cleaners here in the US are the "Minor" Leagues and are just here learning the skill. Then they go back to the majors. :)

Kingairer said:
Thats b/c all of teh house cleaners here in the US are the "Minor" Leagues and are just here learning the skill. Then they go back to the majors. :)
Doh! badump bump! He'll be here all week folks... don't forget to tip your waiter... ;)

kind of off topic, but how hard is it for a normal pilot without any of those bridge programs to get on at mins now a days???

Bridge programs are for suckers. Get some quality time, study hard, apply, apply, apply, and you'll do fine.

Hey Bob, I'm with you on the Mexican hotels being nicer than stateside. I did the PVR overnight a long time back, and holy crap! I slept with the patio doors open, and listened to the surf all night. Awesome.

There's always San Luis Potosi for a counterpoint, but it's certainly no worse than, say, Lubbock.

Worst hotels? Quebec's shoeboxes. I hate Quebec; buncha miserable human beings that want you miserable too. Ottowa's great, and the people friendly. But something about Quebec makes me grouchy. I think the people are just pissed that the rest of Canada hates them, the French look down on them, and America just ignores them as being something somewhat worse than the French. They're the Rodney Dangerfield of provinces.

CapnJim said:
Bridge programs are for suckers. Get some quality time, study hard, apply, apply, apply, and you'll do fine.

Hey Bob, I'm with you on the Mexican hotels being nicer than stateside. I did the PVR overnight a long time back, and holy crap! I slept with the patio doors open, and listened to the surf all night. Awesome.

There's always San Luis Potosi for a counterpoint, but it's certainly no worse than, say, Lubbock.

Worst hotels? Quebec's shoeboxes. I hate Quebec; buncha miserable human beings that want you miserable too. Ottowa's great, and the people friendly. But something about Quebec makes me grouchy. I think the people are just pissed that the rest of Canada hates them, the French look down on them, and America just ignores them as being something somewhat worse than the French. They're the Rodney Dangerfield of provinces.
Im sure Quebec Loves you too..Its really a great place.

I just have some general questions regarding ExpressJet. With respect to being on reserve, how much flying is actually done? I'm sure this probably depends on certain things. As I think to myself for future purposes (hopefully), "When is scheduling going to call." :) Oh yeah, does anyone have any extra Mexico approach plates or a popular approach plate asked at an XJT interview :) laying around that they don't need anymore? I've never really used Jepp plates so trying to transition from the NOS to Jepp.

If any current XJT pilot's fly into Chicago Midway on a trip, let me know. I work in Operations at KMDW for Continental. If anybody knows Sr. Director George Semak for XJT out in IAH, he's the man. I plan to apply to XJT at the end of the summer.

XJT at the end of the summer, eh? You may be waiting a while to get that interview. But who knows?

Reserve flying depends on a lot of different factors. Just know that if you want to fly, you won't and if you don't, you will. That's how reserve works. FWIW I fly about 30 hours/month and I want to fly.

NOS plates aren't all that different from Jepps these days, but you'd do well to study the introduction closely. I used NOS till working at XJT and the transition was no problem. I had not seen Mexican plates until my interview, but they are the pretty much same as any US plate so don't stress over those.

I make it through MDW every once in a while so, I'll PM you if I make it through--I'll even brings some old mexican plates from the next revision.

I'll be happy to just get an interview with XJT but I'll try my luck by applying at the end of the summer. Since applicants apply online, where and when do we submit any letters of recommendation?

Thanks for the offer on the mexican approach plates, definately buzz me if you make it through KMDW again.

i was hoping to apply after the summer as well, 600/100 right, and do you guys think they will still be hiring then too?

I think I remember that they will continue with a new class (16/class) starting up every monday till July. I think they are hiring for June classes now.

Most people are talking about the last classes being in july or august form what I've read. But, I'm just a daily JC reader/poster, and do NOT work there. I would advise that you "kick it up a notch" and build those hours faster if your close, you still might have a few months. Most XJT employees seem happy with their regional choice!

Diamnd15 said:
and what happens after july, no more classes?

That's the official word right now. Though things change daily. You do know that we'll be loosing a good chunk of our flying to CHQ beginning 12/07, don't you?

Diamnd15 said:
kind of off topic, but how hard is it for a normal pilot without any of those bridge programs to get on at mins now a days???

I think it's unlikely to get hired at 600/100 without doing something like ATP's RJ course, though it never hurts to try--though at 600/100 you are gonna have your hands full transitioning to a jet! Most of the folks that I met in training had 1200+, FWIW.

AaronPilot4life said:
I'll be happy to just get an interview with XJT but I'll try my luck by applying at the end of the summer. Since applicants apply online, where and when do we submit any letters of recommendation?

Unfortunately, I don't think you can. BUT, bring them to the interview. I asked that same question to a couple of friends that are FOs at XJT, and was told they don't accept LORs until you walk into the interview. Then they can help a pretty decent bit, though.

Actually if you know someone in the company they can email the Sr. Director of Flt Ops (Chief Pilot) at Expressjet with the resume and record locator number and it can help you get an interview more quickly.

However, it won't help you if you don't have the mins/quals they're looking for. It will usually only help qualified people get the interview faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back