ExpressJet Interview 02/28/06

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started my training with HCC (they are partnered with UND). I didnt like the way they did things, so I left and came here to the Aviator (ari-ben aviator).

I was born and raised in Kailua. I still have family there.

Not only was that very nice of you to post, but it was extremely informative. Working for Continental Connection is as of now my ultimate goal so that I can get back home to the Lone Star State...so I really appreciate the great information! Congratulations my friend!

Flows are what we do prior to each checklist. Checklists in the 121 world are not read and do like Cessnas and Pipers. They are challenge/response. Meaning that your switches, etc. are already set up prior to beginning the checklist. The checklist mearly confirms switch position, that the task was done or the item is set properly. Flows are normally done just prior to reading the checklist, with a couple of exceptions.

The Receiving Flow (big set-up checklist) is done upon entering the cockpit. It is the most involved one since you're basically bringing a mostly shut-down airplane back to life (there is another one for power-up, but that's just to safely apply power). This is where the majority of stuff is set up for flight and most of the systems are checked. In the beginning, it'll take you about 15 minutes to do a receiving flow. Once you have the hang of it, you can do in about 5 to 7, depending on how long it takes for everything to align and if its First Flight of the Day.

99% of our Captains brief "run the flows when you're ready." That means when you feel it's about time for the checklist, get the flow out of the way. A good example is the Before Take-Off flow. If there's only a couple of airplanes waiting to go, I'll run my flow on the way to the runway (flight controls, xponder/tcas, notify fa, etc). If it's busy, I'll wait until I'm about number 5. This varies from day to day. If it's busy and we still have an engine shut-down, the taxi check needs to be completed prior to doing the before take-off flow. You'll soon get the feel for things and know when stuff should be done.

That's flows in a nutshell.

By the way, Congrats and welcome aboard!! Don't get down on the 69 airplanes. Something's in the works. Definately don't sweat it during training. You picked a great airline. You'll like it here.

bwade210 said:
Working for Continental Connection is as of now my ultimate goal...
Ummm... Just to clarify:

Colgan = Continental Connection
Commutair = Continental Connection
Gulfstream = Continental Connection
Cape Air = Continental Connection

ExpressJet = Continental Express

Bob

Captain_Bob said:
Ummm... Just to clarify:

Bob

And that is how you can tell when employees are proud of their company. Got me wanting to go there now...

Captain_Bob said:
Ummm... Just to clarify:

Bob
Thanks for the clarification Captain_Bob! There is only air carrier on that list I do not strive to fly for! That much I know!

"Working for Continental Connection is as of now my ultimate goal"

Isn't Gulfstream Continental Connection?

Timbuff10 said:
And that is how you can tell when employees are proud of their company. Got me wanting to go there now...

It is true--pretty much everybody I've met at XJT is quite proud of the company.

Captain_Bob said:
If you don't get the leather coat then invest in a nice black trench coat.

Personally, I'd hold off on buying the coat for a while. You'll be finishing training about the time when your short sleeved shirt will be to hot for IAH.

The leather jacket was too spendy for me right now so I bought the trench and it's mostly a hassle to haul around. There are times when it's nice to have, but for the most part the blazer does just fine.

As far as the studying goes, do what you've been told by HR and here. Study the flows--know them--sit in front of that poster and be able to do them all before you head to Houston.

Cav said:
I would say that option 1 is still possible although it seems that CAL wants to diversify their RJ feed. As much as it pains me to say it, this might be a good business decision on their part and over the past few years they have done many things to distance themselves from us. Obviously if that happens it's not good for me or the XJT pilot group. I don't buy into the argument many here at XJT maintain that we "do too good of a job for CAL" or that "we are too ingrained into CALs service and it would be too difficult to change." I think those arguments are a bit simplistic and ignores the cost savings that CAL feels they need to achieve. Just ask any AWAC, ASA, Commair, Mesaba, or Pinnacle pilot what they think of those arguments.

As for the option to find someone else to fly the 69 aircraft for in the states, I believe this really isn't very feasible since it is no secret that there is an overabundance of 50 seaters in the marketplace. I believe that it is far more likely any additional codshare flying will be found in Europe. If you listen to this past quarter's conference call with our CEO Jim Ream and investors, he clearly states that they believe that there is more opportunity in Europe than in the states and that is where they are concentrating their efforts. If that happens, we will not be flying them in my opinion because XJT is legally only allowed a 49% ownership in XJT Europe and our (the pilots) contracts scope only covers us for XJT flying that is covered by the Railway Labor Act (RLA)...in other words does 49% ownership in XJT Europe constitute XJT flying and does the RLA cover such flying in Europe that is questionably XJT flying? In opinion the answer is probably no on both accounts since there are too many potential loop holes. Anyone of us who thinks they will be flying over there anytime soon is drinking some REALLY good Kool-Aid!

Most likely, we will not keep the flying and the planes will go elsewhere. I have heard the company believes that they will not have to furlough because attrition will keep the company properly staffed. We'll see, I don't necessarily buy that either.

I don't really like our options but I accept the idea that what is good for XJT the company might not coincide with the best interests of its pilots. I don't like it but that's life and it's out of my control so why lose sleep over it? If you want to listen our CEOs comments last quarter go to the company website and look for quarterly conference calls.

100% what I've thought all along. Sadly.

Is there any way you can fly for expressjet and not have anything to do with IAH and Mexico flying? Do EWR based crews end up doing those border runs from time to time?

Any rumors on California flying at all?

Tim,

Mexico and IAH are not bad at all... Mexico is in fact some of the best flying and overnights that I've had since I started. All bases travel through each hub and all bases go to Mexico and Canada.

When you are on reserve then you are at the mercy of scheduleing... however once you have a line, then you can place your bid preferences into the scheduling program and bid around Mexico flying if you think it't really that bad. For example, I have my bid preferences set to look for DFW/DAL/PWM/GRR overnights for me. DFW/DAL so I can spend a night at home in the middle of a trip, PWM because I have lots of friends up there, and GRR because that where my parents live. But you can set your preferences however you want... to avoid things or to look for things.

As far as the rumors go... everythings a rumor until we see it happen on our bid packet. ;)

Bob

All this takl about XJT makes me want to head in that direction. If you live where you are based, how often are you home?

Sounds pretty good, I am always a bit uncomfortable leaving the country for some reason. I have heard some stories from one of your co-workers (Szanto) about some overnights down there. Kinda hard to go 18 hours without drinking water.

Do they tend to put you guys up in good hotels? Or are they more like the "ATP econo lodge" sort of places?

DE727UPS said:
"Working for Continental Connection is as of now my ultimate goal"

Isn't Gulfstream Continental Connection?

Yeah...Captain_Bob already coprrected me on that. I meant to say Express Jet...but if your implying that I want to work for Gulfstream because I stood up for students at that school or because I live in Ft. Lauderdale, then your wrong! Glad to see you are keeping tabs on my progress mom.

"but if your implying that I want to work for Gulfstream because I stood up for students at that school"

Oh...well....you can understand my confusion, then. You're post was in response to me blasting Gulfstream at another site. Gulfstream doesn't get much positive press here. That's why I like it here so much...

DE727UPS said:
"but if your implying that I want to work for Gulfstream because I stood up for students at that school"

Oh...well....you can understand my confusion, then. You're post was in response to me blasting Gulfstream at another site. Gulfstream doesn't get much positive press here. That's why I like it here so much...

Your telling me.....the place that I train at right now is located 2 blocks from Gulfstereams HQ at KFXE. I see plenty of the b.s. that is associated with GA on a daily basis, including lots of my fellow students walking out our door and over to Gulfstreams.

"including lots of my fellow students walking out our door and over to Gulfstreams"

Tell them to check out jetcareers, first.

Kinda hard to go 18 hours without drinking water.

The company provides you with as much bottled water from stateside as you care to carry. I think the bottles we get are 2 liters each, I carry one for a short overnight and two for a long one in Mexico. I use it to brush my teeth and drink. I'm sure I've accidentally swallowed some Mexico water from time to time in the shower and whatnot, and it's never really hurt me. I also make it a point to try out some of the local cuisine if I get a chance to. Never gotten sick yet (although some of the food has been pretty bad). As an IAH based pilot I spend about 3 nights a month in Mexico on average. I'd imagine it'd be one night a month or less for a CLE or EWR based pilot.

So far in my year and a half here, I've flown into Aguascalientes, Chihuahua, Ciudad Del Carmen, Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Leon-Guanajuato, Mazatlan, Mexico City, Monclova, Monterrey, Oaxaca, Puebla, Saltillo, San Luis Potosi, Tampico, Toluca, Torreon, and Villahermosa. I think there are still a dozen or so COEX destinations in Mexico I haven't been to; it's nice to have the variety of flying into a new city every so often. Later this month I'll get to go to Cabo San Lucas for the first time.

The non precision approaches down there tend to keep you pretty sharp as well, especially since they're often at night and almost always in the mountains. Add some bad wx into the mix and things really get interesting.

Timbuff10 said:
Sounds pretty good, I am always a bit uncomfortable leaving the country for some reason. I have heard some stories from one of your co-workers (Szanto) about some overnights down there. Kinda hard to go 18 hours without drinking water.

Do they tend to put you guys up in good hotels? Or are they more like the "ATP econo lodge" sort of places?
Tim,

You have to relax a bit... Mexico is not that bad. Yes we do have guys who are super freaky about it and try to bath in bottled water... but those guys are... well... those guys. I've never bathed, brushed my teeth, washed my hands, etc... in bottled water. A lot of what you hear is pure paranoia from folks who may have had one bad experience or who have heard "stories" about it.

We also have guys who refuse to leave their hotel rooms on long overnights for fear of the unknown. Like I said... Mexico is probably some of the best overnights I've had... I've gotten to experience Culture, Markets, Pyramids, History, Beautiful Cathedrals, Fantastic Dining, and wonderful people... But you have to be willing to take a few steps outside your room.

Speaking of rooms... Mexico Hotels are typically nicer than a lot of the stateside hotels.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back