EU flying for retired 737 capt?

Mister G

I’m turning 60 very soon and I’m going to retire from my US 121 airline job as a B-737 captain in the next 2 years or so. Maybe sooner maybe later. I have dual citizenship with Italy. I have only an FAA ATP with B737 type. Commercial SES, SEL and Helicopter. No EU licenses. I would like to live in Europe for a while when I retire and improve my language skills and learn the culture. I have family in northern Italy that I would like to be closer to. I have traveled all over the EU as well as other parts of the world. (45 countries) I’m looking for options of part time flying based in the EU. Something fun and interesting. F/O or small plane would be fine. I don’t have much float time or R/W time but over 23,000 hrs TT with 10,000+ in B-737. + ETOPS exp. 5000 hrs in small planes but not current. Does anyone know of what opportunities that might be available? Is it worth starting to work on getting an EU licenses just for a part time or seasonal Gig? Are there many "N" (US) registered a/c operating in Europe? May consider other parts of the world also.

Is this a crazy idea?

Thanks

Yes, it's crazy. Enjoy retirement. Find an island hopping job, or some other retirement job, if necessary. The European licensing is insane with the tests. It's not worth it for a couple of years of work, in my opinion.

To each his or her own, but when I retire, I will not be strapping on a jet to work for the man. At most, I'll be doing some islands hopping, but going it's just personal island hopping.

Thanks, I tend to agree with your statement about EU licensing. I really don't need a big plane or jet. Island hopping would be great. Early in my career I worked for a small airline and flew multiple short legs to a challenging Island airport. It was some of the most fun flying I've ever done. Too bad the company sucked. They went out of business owing wages to everyone. It was one of the many dues paying jobs I had. Perhaps Flying for some charity or non profit, and doing something for the greater good. I still enjoy flying. Just contemplating options on how to make use of the freedom I hope to have when I no longer have to show up for a regular job. Taking out elephant and rhino poachers in Africa could be rewarding. I am guilty of being a life long airplane geek.

Mister G, I worked with many guys over 60 at Evergreen/Erickson doing overseas contracting. If you want to get out and see the world, and don't mind working in some questionable areas, the money is great and the time off you get is even better.

Do you have instructing experience in your airline, either line or sim?

That's where the majority of opportunity lies for "retired" guys.

Either that or try to talk somewhere like Turkish or Ethiopian into a month on/month off type of line flying gig.

TP

If you have more than 3000hrs (1500 PIC) in aircraft with max takeoff weight of something like 60k pounds there is not any real conversation necessary outside of dealing with one of the national aviation authorities. The Irish Aviation Authority are supposed to be helpful because they are used to dealing with conversions because of Ryanair being based there (who also happen to hire direct-entry 737 Captains and have bases in Italy). Smaller operators, I always thought Zimex Aviation based in Geneva but working in Africa mostly (5 weeks on/off) sounded like a fun job and open to expats.

Last edited:
If you have more than 3000hrs (1500 PIC) in aircraft with max takeoff weight of something like 60k pounds there is not any real conversation necessary outside of dealing with one of the national aviation authorities. The Irish Aviation Authority are supposed to be helpful because they are used to dealing with conversions because of Ryanair being based there (who also happen to hire direct-entry 737 Captains and have bases in Italy). Smaller operators, I always thought Zimex Aviation based in Geneva but working in Africa mostly (5 weeks on/off) sounded like a fun job and open to expats.

My understanding is that is incorrect information. That will only get you a one year validation. Within the year you would still have to complete all 14 exams in order to obtain a full EASA certificate.

TP

Sorry, typhoonpilot is correct it seems. Still thought JAA type exception was in place for foreign pilots with experience and that the individual aviation authorities still had some leeway. New rule seems kind of crazy at first glance anyway.

Sorry, typhoonpilot is correct it seems. Still thought JAA type exception was in place for foreign pilots with experience and that the individual aviation authorities still had some leeway. New rule seems kind of crazy at first glance anyway.

Yea agree, it's a ridiculous minefield over in Europe. I had heard about what you mentioned and it must have been possible at some point in the past (pre-EASA perhaps), although I think you still had to take 4 of the 14 exams.

I actually did some training for the head of the Irish Aviation Authority's brother a few years back. Was secretly hoping he could get me a Irish license for being such a nice guy :).

TP

Yea agree, it's a ridiculous minefield over in Europe. I had heard about what you mentioned and it must have been possible at some point in the past (pre-EASA perhaps), although I think you still had to take 4 of the 14 exams.

I actually did some training for the head of the Irish Aviation Authority's brother a few years back. Was secretly hoping he could get me a Irish license for being such a nice guy :).

TP

That was possible and quite common, pre-EASA, pre-JAA. Probably ended at some point between 2005 and 2007. Before then, a commercial operator could apply for a 12 month validation for a pilot, that allowed you to start flying and just do some checkrides within this year to get an unrestricted license, but not the crazy 14 written tests. Each country had their own rules what tests you had to pass, depending on your experience. The quality of the pralines you accidentally could have dropped at the desk of the person in charge could have maybe influenced your paperwork processing times.

You can still get a 12 month EASA validation but would have to pass all tests within this year. I have heard of some ways to extend it for another six months to a year in rare cases, but that's it.

Even if in Good health passing the initial medical for a European Class 1 at age 60 is going to be very very hard. In Switzerland it is the same exam they do for fighter pilots, except they have a bit higher tolerance for vision.

Find an island hopping job, or some other retirement job

In most of the Caribbean you can't fly single pilot above 60, in a crew environment up to 65, but between 60-65 you need to fly with a co-pilot/captain that is less then 60 years old.

Last edited:
I’m turning 60 very soon and I’m going to retire from my US 121 airline job as a B-737 captain in the next 2 years or so. Maybe sooner maybe later. I have dual citizenship with Italy. I have only an FAA ATP with B737 type. Commercial SES, SEL and Helicopter. No EU licenses. I would like to live in Europe for a while when I retire and improve my language skills and learn the culture. I have family in northern Italy that I would like to be closer to. I have traveled all over the EU as well as other parts of the world. (45 countries) I’m looking for options of part time flying based in the EU. Something fun and interesting. F/O or small plane would be fine. I don’t have much float time or R/W time but over 23,000 hrs TT with 10,000+ in B-737. + ETOPS exp. 5000 hrs in small planes but not current. Does anyone know of what opportunities that might be available? Is it worth starting to work on getting an EU licenses just for a part time or seasonal Gig? Are there many "N" (US) registered a/c operating in Europe? May consider other parts of the world also.

Is this a crazy idea?

Thanks

The issue is not much getting the licenses but the fact you can't even applied for them unless you are a resident or have a valid permit to live and work. And if the airline operates flights to any non EU state then you are out of age.

The trainings costs for anything reg and operated in Europe are crazy high, so no one wants to hire someone to fly part time. Some airlines do have seasonal contracts because in some areas flights increase during the summer months, but it`s rare.

Are you rated one any specif helicopter, Brazil is in huge shortage of helicopter pilots, while according to the law foreigns can't fly commercially they do give special permits for crews they can't find locally (like for helicopters). As long as you can keep your medical current there is no age limitation for domestic flights.

Back