Flight dispatcher...some question about learning this job.

Tom1999

Hello fellow aviation enthusiasts.
I've been reading the "FD" section for a long time in order to gather more ideas and informations on how to become a flight dispatcher.

Some background: I'm 22 from Italy and I would like to work in the aviation industry as a flight operation officier. This year I'll continue working as a Industrial Machinery Mechanic, then use the money I earn on FD courses. I have a good basic knowledge of aviation, thanks to my passion for flight sim, plane spotting and have RL friend that are airline pilots and gave me materials to learn about aviation (From aerodinamics to IFR rules), and I tried to become a pilot myself before being diagnosed with an eye disease.

Recently I've been looking for some organizations that provide training for this profession, willing to start in Q3/Q4 2022 and I also considered going in the U.S. since some well known organizations (Sheffield and Jeppesen) welcome International students and help them providing M-1 Visa. And going on the other side of the pond makes for a good experience and maybe a fresh start for me.

I wrote e-mails to both organizations, but they are stubborn in NOT answering some questions, meaning I've sent them multiple e-mails, some that have the same questions as the previous ones, and they for some reason avoid answering them.

1)Can international students, after getting the Part 65 FAA Flight Dispatcher Certificate, continue working in the U.S?

2.1)If yes, do organizations like Jeppesen and Sheffield help with finding a job or an internship?

2.2)If no, what's the purpouse of welcoming international students if they cannot work in the U.S after the course nor convert their licenses once they have to go back home?

I'm asking because I've read in previous topics that a lot of you studied at the aforementioned organizations and studied with international students (it was a topic from 2013, where somebody said that at the Jeppesen course in Denver there were 8 nationalities).

3) Are there other organizations that I may consider in the U.S?

4) And when it comes to Europe, does anybody knows a good organization I may consider? The only very good one that I know is BAA Training, and they also provide internship programs with affiliated airlines after the course.

Thanks to whoever is able to answer my questions and for the attention given to this thread.

There is almost no chance a 121 airline will hire a dispatcher on a visa, however, many foreign nationals come to the US to earn the certificate because it carries prestige in their home country. There were a few people from Saudi Arabia and Nigeria in my class who were sponsored by their home airline to come to America and get it. There are lots of opportunities to dispatch within the EU without all the hassle.

So you speak english and italien, I presume...So call Lufthansa/SWISS they have been running a huge training program for a few years in Basel.CH.
It's a great program. The entry requirements are tough but you might make it. Do you speak any German or Swiss-German? Also, talk to the folks at any of the EU shuttle carriers. You will do better over there. Unless you marry an american "person, place or thing"......

Back