Delta Psychological Eval Lawsuit?

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
Anybody heard anything about this? I've had two friends who failed the pysc screen at Delta in the past few years get calls today about being part of an out of court settlement.

It was only a matter of time. You hold a valid 1st class medical then technically you are medically (which means physically and psychologically) cleared to fly a 121 airplane. Where SJI stands to lose is the fact that everyone was hired on day 1 with a CJO and then on day 2 they specifically bust the psych portion. I'm not surprised if they settle out of court.

I don't know about United's psych eval portion. When is that during the interview process? Is this Hogan? Before the interview? Or after receiving a CJO?

It was only a matter of time. You hold a valid 1st class medical then technically you are medically (which means physically and psychologically) cleared to fly a 121 airplane. Where SJI stands to lose is the fact that everyone was hired on day 1 with a CJO and then on day 2 they specifically bust the psych portion. I'm not surprised if they settle out of court.

I’m not aware of anything, anywhere, that says a company can’t be MORE restrictive than the FAA.

I’m not aware of anything, anywhere, that says a company can’t be MORE restrictive than the FAA.

I'm not sure you can get away with that in the US anymore? I know in Europe that is definitely the case with BA's own medical standards being more stringent than the UK CAA. I would think the FAA 1st class medical and ADA rules would make it that you can argue you are medically qualified for the job?

I don't know about United's psych eval portion. When is that during the interview process? Is this Hogan? Before the interview? Or after receiving a CJO?

I'd psychologically restrict you. :p

Anybody heard anything about this? I've had two friends who failed the pysc screen at Delta in the past few years get calls today about being part of an out of court settlement.

I believe it was from what happened to the previous guy. About 4 years ago I think.

I'd psychologically restrict you. :p

1558752993642.png

I’ve had to send an employee to a psychiatric evaluation. The guidance from our HR professional was that I needed to thoroughly document the issues the employee was having and how it was negatively impacting the work environment, as I was required to show that it was a necessary step in order to prevent disruption at work. Granted, that was a current employee and not a prospective one, but I’m betting Delta has some level of exposure here if it goes to trial.

I’ve had to send an employee to a psychiatric evaluation. The guidance from our HR professional was that I needed to thoroughly document the issues the employee was having and how it was negatively impacting the work environment, as I was required to show that it was a necessary step in order to prevent disruption at work. Granted, that was a current employee and not a prospective one, but I’m betting Delta has some level of exposure here if it goes to trial.
There’s an ongoing trial concerning psych evals and unlawful retaliation there too.

There’s a big difference between documented workplace incidents and “we just think you’re not the right fit for the company.”

Odd that there is a requirement for a psych eval to be passed in order to be hired to fly Delta pax around. Yet the Delta code share regionals that have Delta written on those jets and have pax who think they are flying on a Delta jet, have pilots flying those same Delta pax around and not requiring a psych eval?

Last edited:
Odd that there is a requirement or a psych eval to be passed in order be hired to fly Delta pax around. Yet the Delta code share regionals that have Delta written on those jets, have pilots flying the same Delta pax around and not requiring a psych eval?

Shhhh you’re not supposed to point out any ironies or hypocrisy of the Delta system. But to answer your question, yes.

I really just want to know where I send the cake to.

But in all seriousness, psych evals prior to hire are kind of messed up.

Agreed they do seem kind of messed up. Just seems more messed up that there would be one as presumably some measure of maintaing some kind of quality standard in the pilot group to fly Delta pax around. Yet with the regional partners, theres no apparent quality standard of this same kind for those pilots to be flying these same pax around, even though everything else looks the same to the average passenger of being on a Delta flight. Be interesting to, in some way, find out how many code share regional pilots who applied for Delta, didn't pass the exam, and by extension, don't have the mental fitness presumably (whatever that is) to fly Delta pax around. :)

Back