Computer's On The Road

drummerboy

Hey everyone,

My current job has had me doing fairly short parings. Unless I'm training it's usually just one or two nights away from home at a time. I have a blackberry that keeps me in touch with all my email, friends, facebook, and the odd bit of internet surfing. I've been happy with this set up and don't like hauling around too big of a laptop. I currently use a larger laptop as my main computer and I can take it with me on the odd occasion if needed.

I'm going to be starting a new job that will be giving me more of the standard 4 day pairings and be international at times. The added time away I would like to have something a bit more substanstial to take on the road with me and not rely on my phone when out of the country.

I don't want something too big and bulky and I don't need a full computer. Just something that will let me do some basic apps and spend time on the internet. Maybe watch movies and play some games as well. I am thinking maybe some kind of netbook or possibly an ipad. I'm not crazy about the ipad but am taking a look at it, leaning towards a netbook.

Just wondering what some of you take with you for these sort of things without lugging around a giant laptop all the time.

I am really happy with my netbook. They are sub-$300 now. The reduction in weight from a standard size laptop is substantial.

If you go netbook, which I highly recommend, look into a 12" option. That is what I have, and I liked it over the smaller ones. The keyboard is 99% of a regular full size keyboard, but the computer as a whole is compact as well. I like that the screen display is fairly wide and therefore you do not have to horizontally scroll. Cost was also sub $300.

With ya on that! 10 inch screen Netbook works great for me as well! Got a reconditioned Asus for under 200. Been going for over a year!

With ya on that! 10 inch screen Netbook works great for me as well! Got a reconditioned Asus for under 200. Been going for over a year!

I pad, Asus transformer, blackberry Playbook, alienware net book. Of those the pads and often MacBook air don't have to come out in security.

Get a tab with 3g. If you have verizon service, get the galaxy tab 4g, or the xoom.

Otherwise get the I pad, or whatever you like. They are all very convienient

2535.jpg

iPad on the road. If I need to use a full computer I use the logmein ignition app to remotely access my home computer from wherever I am. Dropbox to xfer files between the home computer and the iPad. The iPad doubles as my cell phone as ive ditched the cell phone. Calls are free to the US and Canada from everywhere in the world with google voice and talkatone. Skype if you need to call other countries for a nominal cost. I use the iPad as a jepp plate reader.

I guess you could do something similar with a netbook for cheaper.

Netbook for sure, I would recommend spending a little extra and getting Windows 7 Home Premium instead of Starter. I recently bought a closeout netbook on Newegg and we love it, it's easy to pack, came with Home Premium, has a dual core processor, 500 gig hard drive, and I think it was about $279. I hate to plug businesses, but they have a great compare feature and you can find outstanding deals if you check frequently.

Newegg ftw. Guess I am out of the loop, I don't understand the computer desk at all......

I love my netbook.

Apostrophes are important ("Computer's On The Road" / "Black Kid's Computer Desk"). :)

I've been using an Asus 1005PE netbook (running the netbook remix of Ubuntu) for my mobile and plopped-in-front-of-the-TV needs and I'm very happy with it. The battery life, speed, and size/weight are great. However there are two caveats:
  1. The 1024x600 screen size will slowly drive you insane as you encounter dialog boxes that disappear off the bottom of the screen (almost all web browsing is unaffected by this weird size).
  2. You cannot play 720 or 1080 video with an N450 Atom processor. It just isn't going to happen.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm still leaning towards a netbook because I'm not a fan of typing on an Ipad.

Going to do some shopping around in the next couple days to see how I like the feel of some of them.

I have a Dell mini 9, its small and takes a beating, I got it like 4 years ago. Also no moving parts so I never take it out at security, about 1 in 50 times someone says can you take your computer out.

Back