Avelo

It happens. People roll the dice on not getting called. At one company I worked for, the FA's lost short call because too often when crew scheduling called an FA for a short call assignment, they were multiple states away from base.

I mean to a point, I get it. Parents want their children to have better lives then they did. Sounds like the father wanted to keep the business in the family and pass it down as generational wealth. Admirable. But children are individuals, with their own likes and dislikes. It's wrong to assume that say just because you're a dentist, or a pilot. That your kids are also going to have the same interest. If I were a parent, I'd tell them to study what they love. But if they want to be an artist, be an artist. Be but aware of the many financial challenges that come with that field of work/study and be prepared to meet those challenges without regular parental assistance.
I don't have kids so I don't know what it would feel like, but if you did have a kid and they wanted to be an artist would you finance their education if they decided to pursue it versus any other field you thought might have a more beneficial return? I'm not sure what I'd do, or how I'd feel if I thought they were chasing unobtainable dreams.

I don't have kids so I don't know what it would feel like, but if you did have a kid and they wanted to be an artist would you finance their education if they decided to pursue it versus any other field you thought might have a more beneficial return? I'm not sure what I'd do, or how I'd feel if I thought they were chasing unobtainable dreams.

I'd let them life their life and fulfil their dream. But don't call me when the rent is late. I paid for university. The buck stops there. You're an adult now, have contingency plans. That's what Warren Buffet does with his kids and his extended family. No inheritance, but he will pay for their education. After that, you're on your own.

I'd let them life their life and fulfil their dream. But don't call me when the rent is late. I paid for university. The buck stops there. You're an adult now, have contingency plans. That's what Warren Buffet does with his kids and his extended family. No inheritance, but he will pay for their education. After that, you're on your own.
I like Buffets plan, in his situation it makes a lot of sense. What if the only major financial contribution you'll ever make for your kid is their college education? What if you started a college fund the day they were born and you'd been contributing to it as an overnight janitor at some •hole manufacturing plant for 30 years hoping your offspring would at least achieve more than you and they decided to study something you thought was frivolous, would you still fund their education?

I like Buffets plan, in his situation it makes a lot of sense. What if the only major financial contribution you'll ever make for your kid is their college education? What if you started a college fund the day they were born and you'd been contributing to it as an overnight janitor at some •hole manufacturing plant for 30 years hoping your offspring would at least achieve more than you and they decided to study something you thought was frivolous, would you still fund their education?

I don't know, that's a hard question, as I don't have kids. But I know in my case college was paid for. My mom refused to be a bank afterwards, when I had poor planning and rent was due, or I had little money for food. It's not that my mom wouldn't help me out financially after I was say 25. But she didn't want to always be my first call. She wanted me to actually have other options. Then when I completely exhausted those options, she might, might think about helping out. I don't know but sometimes falling on your face really helps, because its a lesson. It teaches you that you don't want to repeat the problem again.

I don't know, that's a hard question, as I don't have kids. But I know in my case college was paid for. My mom refused to be a bank afterwards, when I had poor planning and rent was due, or I had little money for food. It's not that my mom wouldn't help me out financially after I was say 25. But she didn't want to always be my first call. She wanted me to actually have other options. Then when I completely exhausted those options, she might, might think about helping out. I don't know but sometimes falling on your face really helps, because its a lesson. It teaches you that you don't want to repeat the problem again.
We're not that different you and I, I hope you understand that.

Stories like this are why I’m always really annoyed by the “just get a stem degree because engineers make good money out of college” people. Ok that’s great. I’m sure they do but if I had be an engineer I’d hate my life.

also dentists. It’s surprising how many dentists I know that hate their job and their life.

Not just dentists. MDs, DOs, DVMs, JDs, etc., etc.. Turns out adulting is hard, and, as it happens, a great big hassle.

You ever look up the statistics in people that spend money on law school vs actually practice it?

It’s the same thing. Being something that looks cool and only shows you the fun bits on TV only motivates you so far. Being successful at it in real life is a whole lot harder.

The WSJ did a couple pieces on this a few months ago. Only folks from the top 10 schools, and then only the top grads out of those get recruited to make the big bucks.

A vast, vast majority are on billboards, the sides of busses or in drone corporate jobs waiting for George Clooney to fire them, or working for the government. None of those pay more than six figures. Most have BIG student loans ticking on the meter.

Not just dentists. MDs, DOs, DVMs, JDs, etc., etc.. Turns out adulting is hard, and, as it happens, a great big hassle.

The WSJ did a couple pieces on this a few months ago. Only folks from the top 10 schools, and then only the top grads out of those get recruited to make the big bucks.

A vast, vast majority are on billboards, the sides of busses or in drone corporate jobs waiting for George Clooney to fire them, or working for the government. None of those pay more than six figures. Most have BIG student loans ticking on the meter.

All of the above is true. 141 programs are tailored/unique. UND and ERAU have these kinds of programs for sure. The one I teach in is similar and we do have a FITS program that - for the right applicant (and I do not know what the pre-requisites are) they can earn CSEL in less than 190 hours. I haven't had a candidate in that program yet but our Chief/Owner is will be giving us more details on that in a month. Also our rotary-to-FW program.

Wow. Some kind of retro-irritation here.

Back before the asteroid hit the Yucatan, I was an asst. chief CFI at a mom-n-pop. My buddy, who was the chief, and I got super tired of dealing with Jepp's stupid syllabus, so we decided to re-write the whole thing from scratch using the then-new desktop publishing (on my state of the art ZEOS 386, no less!). We made up some nice stuff....a new tracking system, new briefing guides, the works.

Mind you, we weren't changing any of the time requirements, lesson requirements, standards, or anything like that. Just re-working it to make things flow better.

We called our POI and let him know what we were planning to do. Wow, you would have thought we were changing the Bible or something.

Well, they couldn't stop us from doing it, but they sure could slow us down. It took moving heaven and earth to get it approved.

Wow. Some kind of retro-irritation here.

Back before the asteroid hit the Yucatan, I was an asst. chief CFI at a mom-n-pop. My buddy, who was the chief, and I got super tired of dealing with Jepp's stupid syllabus, so we decided to re-write the whole thing from scratch using the then-new desktop publishing (on my state of the art ZEOS 386, no less!). We made up some nice stuff....a new tracking system, new briefing guides, the works.

Mind you, we weren't changing any of the time requirements, lesson requirements, standards, or anything like that. Just re-working it to make things flow better.

We called our POI and let him know what we were planning to do. Wow, you would have thought we were changing the Bible or something.

Well, they couldn't stop us from doing it, but they sure could slow us down. It took moving heaven and earth to get it approved.

Notice I didn’t say it was good or bad. Just that the programs existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you seen the level of impatience with the new crowd of pilots? They'll absolutely jump on something like this regardless of the cost if it means they'll go from a clapped out C-one-five-two-heavy to a 737. I bet flight school students are already buying LW stealth 22's without side pockets in anticipation of this program. There was a similar period in the early 2000s (right around the Lost Decade) but era of time building just to become a flight engineer are over. Hell, you don't even have to become a MEI for that coveted ME-PIC anymore. Classes are filling with candidates that barely have 25 hours MEL and they're getting typed in passenger jets.

I get it, our industry is basically a rat race (get to your preferred major or cargo carrier in the shortest time with least investment possible) and you always take the the shortest line in a race. However, those of us that are further along in our careers think this is crazy, but this is how the industry goes now. This is just the modern JetU or Gulfstream Academy but without the stigma with those programs.
I'll just say I didn't have an MEI and went into my first airline job with 30 hours multi-PIC. I didn't think it was crazy, certainly never affected my training (why would it, a piston multi vs a turbine jet isn't the same anyways). I think I've managed well for myself in my career. Don't know what a MEI would have changed other than my time building being slower. No doubt flying twin engine pistons is a challenging task, probably the hardest imo. But it's not like we are stick and rudder guys in airlines...

Last edited:

When I was a student and I'd taxi left or right of the center line my instructor would say; "You think those line are for airline pilots?".

Yes, Roger, I guess those lines are for airline pilots.

At KFAT I saw a PSA 727 do the same right in front of the tower. The right main sank so far in the mud the nose wheel came off the ground. Sat like that for three days.

Mercedes is cracking me up!
They drove the plane off the tarmac and tried to pull it off the ditch. Something popped big enough that the food trays opened. Maintenance tried pushing it and they couldn’t because…it’s a plane…

Back