Is PSA a good regional?

airviationpapii

airviation
Hi all!

Just wanted to know if PSA is a good as a regional to start dispatching. The goal is to end up at a at a major as quickly as possible (obviously). Also not to fond of moving to Dayton Ohio coming from a big city but can definitely manage it haha.

I just want to be sure if PSA is a good regional to consider before making any big decisions.

Any advice helps! Thank you!

Cost of living in Dayton is lower compared to where some of the other regionals are based. But I’d say the old adage of “whoever hires you first” still stands. Best of luck! 😎
The “cost of living” is roughly equivalent to Phoenix right now.
I know you look online and see rentals for around $800…the reality is, if you don’t want to live where you risk having your car stolen or bullet holes in your walls…you’ll end up paying a minimum of $1250 for an apartment. Living on $20.66 an hour starting pay is a little rough with the Dayton numbers.

Not all regionals are the same. Im sure you know that much. Having said that, I would just rate them based on management and then flow thru to the majors. Forget about where they are or the pay. I worked at 3 regionals trying to find a good fit. #1 Skywest. you will get interviews at all the majors. #2 Enovy if you want AA. What sits between #3 and #10? A lot of crap. Nasty crap. And PSA (yes i did work there) is way down on that list. I wouldn't work there if rent was Free in Dayton.(Vandalia).
Endevour and Republic are not too bad. Lots of those folks at the majors as well.
I woulld just say for any regional, get in, head down, hang in there 2-3 yrs min plan, (you migh get lucky sooner).

I just started my Dispatch Career with PSA and I'm grappling with concerns about the safety and the complexities of multitasking, specifically for a brand new dispatcher. The concept of being pulled away from my primary duty of “flight following” to handle secondary tasks as assigning the flights to the various dispatch desks for the next day on some Excel Sheet raises red flags, all while dealing with WX IROPS, where quick decision-making and focused attention are paramount. This creates a daunting feeling and at the same time I am trying to get familiar with the different dispatch software programs that the airline uses.
During my 2nd day on the desk, I was already asked by a shift manager to provide the Flight Assignments for the next day, something that I wasn’t trained on during indoc.

Is this a norm for other regionals?

@C172Flyer That's crazy man especially since you were not even trained on it and I assume not even mentioned to you. Something like desk assignments should be specific to one or a few people. For us we have three dispatchers that do it on the side and its 5 days x2 a month and you get a comp day the following month. No stress doing that, but to do it on the floor with it being MANDATORY is insane with an irop going on.

I just started my Dispatch Career with PSA and I'm grappling with concerns about the safety and the complexities of multitasking, specifically for a brand new dispatcher. The concept of being pulled away from my primary duty of “flight following” to handle secondary tasks as assigning the flights to the various dispatch desks for the next day on some Excel Sheet raises red flags, all while dealing with WX IROPS, where quick decision-making and focused attention are paramount. This creates a daunting feeling and at the same time I am trying to get familiar with the different dispatch software programs that the airline uses.
During my 2nd day on the desk, I was already asked by a shift manager to provide the Flight Assignments for the next day, something that I wasn’t trained on during indoc.

Is this a norm for other regionals?
I would be putting in an ASAP each time they try this. Active flights always take priority, the regional I worked at as well as the other shops I have been at had you either trained or a committee set up to handle flights. Those people haven't been expected to be dispatching at the same time.

I would be putting in an ASAP each time they try this. Active flights always take priority, the regional I worked at as well as the other shops I have been at had you either trained or a committee set up to handle flights. Those people haven't been expected to be dispatching at the same time.
The training to do such task of assigning the flights for the next day is honestly a joke, not the type I would expect from an American Airlines owned regional. The training is mostly done by one specific dispatcher who has a very questionable temperament. He created the Excel File and the coding or formula that runs it, the training is done in between flights/calls/ACARS Messages, something you really can’t focus on to properly learn it.

This is not the beginning I was expecting for my dispatch career, with Excel….

I feel like i remember shift managers doing flight allocations at the old country.

The training to do such task of assigning the flights for the next day is honestly a joke, not the type I would expect from an American Airlines owned regional. The training is mostly done by one specific dispatcher who has a very questionable temperament. He created the Excel File and the coding or formula that runs it, the training is done in between flights/calls/ACARS Messages, something you really can’t focus on to properly learn it.

This is not the beginning I was expecting for my dispatch career, with Excel….

Your multi-tasking and cost cutting efforts helped to boost the AAG profit margins and give us mainline dispatchers a pretty nice profit sharing check this week.

I feel like i remember shift managers doing flight allocations at the old country.

They did, once upon a time. Then they were asked to take over desks if they had too many callouts, which would roll over to the next day, etc etc. I'll side with everyone above on this one: ASAP that shenanigans and keep track of your active flights. Do the best you can to stay ahead with that yellow and red board, but active flights take priority. You want to come tell me how to do my job? Come take over. Let me see your license before I assign you these 30 flights.

Hey Burrito...Remeber that story you told me about crashing and Burning the De-ice truck in Manchester?
OMG...that is the funniest shifft ever!!! I busted all of my gut stuff

Back