Avelo

I think FITS is great. It gets you out of the training world sooner and into flying jobs sooner. FITS is also a known quantity as the sylabus is extremely specific every step of the way. So it’s a known quantity for the product that comes out of the training program. 500 hours and no flying job? Unless you’re being picky, I find that hard to believe.

Not being picky, I will literally take anything right now. It's SUPER competitive out there right now for low-time jobs. COVID like many things wreaked everything. At the start of COVID airline classes were being canceled and things were going backwards. People were staying at their regional, low-time job, or were lucky enough that their employer took them back when their class at say Skywest told them to go home. Mins rose and with more competition and less jobs, this is where we are now. Once airline hiring at all levels really is off to the races and people move up, (I hear sims are booked 24/7) creating a bit of a bottleneck) the lower time jobs (hopefully) will open up again and a job that used to be 250 hrs. for say aerial survey that is now 1500 tt. will rebound. Or not, who knows, insurance in some aspects seems to also be a huge driving force behind the low-time backlog.

I got a call to interview for a diver job dropping divers out of shorts and Otters, emailed and called him back an hour later and called (was in orientation) no answer. Called him back and emailed him the next day nothing. Finally got him to answer, he said they filled the poistion the next day after he sent out the emails, with someone with more hours/experience. It's super frustrating, but it is what it is. The sweet spot for low-timers seems to be 800-1000 tt. But how do you get there, if you can't get a low-time job to build hours? Okay, breathe Max, breathe. Lol. Anyway I've more or less moved on to wanting to instruct, and I'm studying for it as we speak. I start next month. But still half way keeping my eye open for anything else that comes along.

Wait....I vaguely remember that story. Damnit, off to the search function!

Was that the guy who was supposed to be reserve in base at ORD, but he was jumpseating from MIA to somewhere in South America? When pointed out that he was taking a huge risk by traveling on reserve days when he’s supposed to be in ORD, he basically told ‘em off.

Jumpseat anywhere on Atlas………:)

Not being picky, I will literally take anything right now. It's SUPER competitive out there right now for low-time jobs. COVID like many things wreaked everything. At the start of COVID airline classes were being canceled and things were going backwards. People were staying at their regional, low-time job, or were lucky enough that their employer took them back when their class at say Skywest told them to go home. Mins rose and with more competition and less jobs, this is where we are now. Once airline hiring at all levels really is off to the races and people move up, (I hear sims are booked 24/7) creating a bit of a bottleneck) the lower time jobs (hopefully) will open up again and a job that used to be 250 hrs. for say aerial survey that is now 1500 tt. will rebound. Or not, who knows, insurance in some aspects seems to also be a huge driving force behind the low-time backlog.

I got a call to interview for a diver job dropping divers out of shorts and Otters, emailed and called him back an hour later and called (was in orientation) no answer. Called him back and emailed him the next day nothing. Finally got him to answer, he said they filled the poistion the next day after he sent out the emails, with someone with more hours/experience. It's super frustrating, but it is what it is. The sweet spot for low-timers seems to be 800-1000 tt. But how do you get there, if you can't get a low-time job to build hours? Okay, breathe Max, breathe. Lol. Anyway I've more or less moved on to wanting to instruct, and I'm studying for it as we speak. I start next month. But still half way keeping my eye open for anything else that comes along.
Survey jobs are 1500tt right now??

I’ll never understand people who drop serious dinero, time, and effort to get into this career but then get caught surprised by the schedule or lifestyle. Umm….. did you not research this career beforehand?

I’d guess it’s not their money that was paying for their training…

I believe it.

Had a very sharp guy at jet U, hired at Pinnacle, 6 months later I noticed his name wasn’t on the list. I txt him to ask what’s up. He said the lifestyle just wasn’t for him.

Seriously.

I’ll never understand people who drop serious dinero, time, and effort to get into this career but then get caught surprised by the schedule or lifestyle. Umm….. did you not research this career beforehand?
I kind of wanted if this is a lot like being a doctor. I mean that in both professions you don’t really have a realistic view of what the lifestyle is REALLY like until you’re living it. By then it’s too late and you’re in too deep.

I kind of wanted if this is a lot like being a doctor. I mean that in both professions you don’t really have a realistic view of what the lifestyle is REALLY like until you’re living it. By then it’s too late and you’re in too deep.

You ever look up the statistics in people that spend money on law school vs actually practice it?

It’s the same thing. Being something that looks cool and only shows you the fun bits on TV only motivates you so far. Being successful at it in real life is a whole lot harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You ever look up the statistics in people that spend money on law school vs actually practice it?

It’s the same thing. Being something that looks cool and only shows you the fun bits on TV only motivates you so far. Being successful at it in real life is a whole lot harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. I can sit here and accurately describe what life is like as an airline pilot. Unfortunately the gap between hearing it described and actually experiencing it is a few miles wide. Motivation can cover a big part of that gap but never all of it.

I had a dude in my creative writing class, back when I was in college, he had to be in his middle to late 20's. His parents paid for him to go to med school. He went the full track and had been practicing. Then he just quit his job and gave it all up, he told us. Because he always wanted to be a writer, but his parents wouldn't let him. They were only willing to pay for certain degrees, that led to specific career aspirations. He said he was miserable working as a doctor, but he said he was happy now that he was starting to do what he always wanted to. I bet that his parents were pissed after paying for his education. Lol. Why do parents always mess their kids up?

I had a dude in my creative writing class, back when I was in college, he had to be in his middle to late 20's. His parents paid for him to go to med school. He went the full track and had been practicing. Then he just quit his job and gave it all up, he told us. Because he always wanted to be a writer, but his parents wouldn't let him. They were only willing to pay for certain degrees, that led to specific career aspirations. He said he was miserable working as a doctor, but he said he was happy now that he was starting to do what he always wanted to. I bet that his parents were pissed after paying for his education. Lol. Why do parents always mess their kids up?
Stories like this are why I’m always really annoyed by the “just get a stem degree because engineers make good money out of college” people. Ok that’s great. I’m sure they do but if I had be an engineer I’d hate my life.

also dentists. It’s surprising how many dentists I know that hate their job and their life.

Would FITS be a good thing in today's world with the 1500 hr. rule? I'd suspect not as I have 500 tt and not making any real head way towards a low-time job. I really think that the FAA really needs to do something about this. They can get you to 250 with a commercial, but afterwards, there's no defined plan. Which is yet another reason in talks with other low timers in groups on FB, people are frustrated and giving up on going the airline route, or any route really.
Why "build time" while paying for a CFI to watch you do stalls.

Stories like this are why I’m always really annoyed by the “just get a stem degree because engineers make good money out of college” people. Ok that’s great. I’m sure they do but if I had be an engineer I’d hate my life.

also dentists. It’s surprising how many dentists I know that hate their job and their life.

We had a dentist check-in for detox services at my previous psych job. He was Korean in his early 30's and he had been a dentist. His parents would only pay for him to be a dentist, turns out that his dad was a dentist and owned his own business and he wanted his son to be a dentist, to take over the business. He too went to undergrad, then dental school and started in his dad's dental practice. He said he was depressed and hated his life. He started drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana and moved to meth and eventually fentanyl to cope. His father fired him and now he's homeless and his parents disowned him. He said that they consider him to be an embarrassment.

We had a dentist check-in for detox services at my previous psych job. He was Korean in his early 30's and he had been a dentist. His parents would only pay for him to be a dentist, turns out that his dad was a dentist and owned his own business and he wanted his son to be a dentist, to take over the business. He too went to undergrad, then dental school and started in his dad's dental practice. He said he was depressed and hated his life. He started drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana and moved to meth and eventually fentanyl to cope. His father fired him and now he's homeless and his parents disowned him. He said that they consider him to be an embarrassment.
Sometimes I think parenting is hard. Then I read some of your stories and start to think maybe a lot of parents are just complete jackasses.

Sometimes I think parenting is hard. Then I read some of your stories and start to think maybe a lot of parents are just complete jackasses.

I mean to a point, I get it. Parents want their children to have better lives then they did. Sounds like the father wanted to keep the business in the family and pass it down as generational wealth. Admirable. But children are individuals, with their own likes and dislikes. It's wrong to assume that say just because you're a dentist, or a pilot. That your kids are also going to have the same interest. If I were a parent, I'd tell them to study what they love. But if they want to be an artist, be an artist. Be but aware of the many financial challenges that come with that field of work/study and be prepared to meet those challenges without regular parental assistance.

Back