ATP Written Prep Question

I just read the syllabus. Six hours in a sim in one day. OUCH. That would suck. 2 hours as PIC and 2 hours as SIC is about the longest that my attention span will last.

Frankly, I've experienced a lot of the aviation training industry in the seventeen freaking years it took me to reach an employable state, and I was very pleased with my experience with ATP. @LoadMasterC141 suggested I give them a try, and I wasn't at all disappointed. In some ways, I always looked forward to the opportunity to go back and do more with them.

Especially after some of my other experiences.

So yeah. Maybe I'll give them my business one final time. Regardless, I have no idea what the industry will look like in the year+ it'll take me to get to ATP mins... and I don't feel a ton of pressure on that front.

Or maybe I'm an idiot, I dunno!

-Fox

I just read the syllabus. Six hours in a sim in one day. OUCH. That would suck. 2 hours as PIC and 2 hours as SIC is about the longest that my attention span will last.

I suspect that the CTP sim sessions will be a bit tamer for most of the time spent... but what do I know? I still think it sounds like fun. ^.^

~Fox

I went through Sheppard Air in about 6 hours this morning. Hit all the questions with only the correct answer shown, memorized their memory aid, and took the test after lunch. 93%.

I really wish they had been around (maybe they were and I just didn't know about them) a decade ago when I was knocking out writtens every few months. Gleim can't compare.

I could be wrong but I thought shepperd was 135, but still gets the job done for 121

Kinda. They still have both 121 and 135, but use the 135. 121 is pretty much defunct. The 135 question bank is much more robust. It doesn't matter which test you take; You satisfy the reqs with either. So take the path of least resistance. 135.

I went through Sheppard Air in about 6 hours this morning. Hit all the questions with only the correct answer shown, memorized their memory aid, and took the test after lunch. 93%.

I really wish they had been around (maybe they were and I just didn't know about them) a decade ago when I was knocking out writtens every few months. Gleim can't compare.

Congrats on getting in just under the wire!

Anyone else take the test on the last day?

Joe

Kinda. They still have both 121 and 135, but use the 135. 121 is pretty much defunct. The 135 question bank is much more robust. It doesn't matter which test you take; You satisfy the reqs with either. So take the path of least resistance. 135.
Actually, 121 is the one Sheppard uses. 135 is the defunct test.

Joe
I'd like to elaborate on that question...is there anyone who intended to get it in last minute who missed the boat? After all, the sky officially falls in less than 2 hours.

Don't know how Gleim is now, but I much preferred them back in the day (02-04). Never got below a 95.

Joe

I have one friend who took it and failed by 1 point and another friend who barely passed. They both said it was very hard and had not seen many questions before. They used Kings and Gleim respectively. I was initially scheduled to take it on the 31st because it was the only date available at my nearest location. Since I was nervous about that I decided to make a reservation elsewhere last Friday which required me to drive a further distance but I was happy I did. I used a combination of Gleim and Sheppard Air and passed.

A coworker waited till the last minute and he called every test center in a 400 mile radius and they were all booked.

One guy walked in to my school yesterday with an ATP exam fail (50%) looking for an endorsement. Sat down with me for two hours before his retake and I signed him off, he went back in and passed with a 75%. He made it under the wire. I was relieved because I thought he was totally going to fail again.

But I already have the Gleim book! And I've always used King! Why would I use Sheppard Air?

(THEY ALL TEACH THE FREAKING TEST. I love and respect the Kings, and but the amount of teaching the subject that goes on in their courses is negligible. If you're going to "cheat" with ANY test prep, just use Sheppard.)

-Fox

But I already have the Gleim book! And I've always used King! Why would I use Sheppard Air?

(THEY ALL TEACH THE FREAKING TEST. I love and respect the Kings, and but the amount of teaching the subject that goes on in their courses is negligible. If you're going to "cheat" with ANY test prep, just use Sheppard.)

~xoF

Passed yesterday (thanks Sheppard Air), but had a really odd issue pop up at a PSI contracted test center. Submitted the test and saw I got 2 wrong on the review page so figured I was set for high 90%. Proctor saw the same, but when he went to print the result was 70%; he shrugged and mumbled that maybe the wrong answers weren't displaying correctly on the review page. For whatever it's worth, I had the testing software freeze up half way through, but a good recovery and all answers were filled in when I submitted.

Anyone experience similar issues? I get that a pass is a pass, but is it worthwhile to write to OKC to ask for a hand score?

I'd like to elaborate on that question...is there anyone who intended to get it in last minute who missed the boat? After all, the sky officially falls in less than 2 hours.

That was my plan, but I found I was about $50 short of the exam fee, so... different boat missed

I took it yesterday and got a 93%. I used Sheppard Air, and while it wasn't anything groundbreaking, it's a good, useful program. I didn't see any questions on the test that weren't covered in Sheppard Air. I read through all the questions with single answer, then through each group with all answers, marked my incorrect ones and redid those. I memorized the answers for the flight planning portion, but nothing else as I didn't really have the time or care haha.

Passed yesterday (thanks Sheppard Air), but had a really odd issue pop up at a PSI contracted test center. Submitted the test and saw I got 2 wrong on the review page so figured I was set for high 90%. Proctor saw the same, but when he went to print the result was 70%; he shrugged and mumbled that maybe the wrong answers weren't displaying correctly on the review page. For whatever it's worth, I had the testing software freeze up half way through, but a good recovery and all answers were filled in when I submitted.

Anyone experience similar issues? I get that a pass is a pass, but is it worthwhile to write to OKC to ask for a hand score?

No! Because the score could go down to 68 if the computer really screwed up! If that happened you would be really screwed.

Joe

-Fox

I tried to use the King system for both my instrument and my commercial. It simply didn't work for me. They teach a different style and it doesn't work with my brain.

Dauntless and Sheppard Air both worked for me.

Joe

Back