Allegiant Airlines

This is where the management guys at allegiant might have an issue, I doubt they will fly (at least the ones I know/knew?) BUT they probably will be fire or demoted, pretty sure there is nothing in AAY's "agreement" that covers this situation.

These managers need to be having conversations with the Teamsters that if they are fired, if they will be included in a return to work agreement with their seniority restored as a line pilot.

If they get demoted from management, they will be seen as heros from those walking around in circles.

I confess to having had a bit of a sniffle at his bad luck, early on (can't believe I didn't somehow manage to post in the original thread, way back when...must have been on my week of not driving). But IMS, he got pretty thoroughly busted on his claim that he didn't know what he was doing on the outbound leg, yes? In which case, no, sorry, BURN THE WITCH. Seggy, ATN, and I may agree on very little else, but you'll see no cracks in our solidarity on crossing a line. Lines don't hold unless everyone knows that the consequences of crossing one are, er, to borrow the verbiage of the Austro-Hungarians when confronting the French Revolution..."PROFOUND". I, for one, hope he's found gainful employment washing dishes or some other menial task that can be entrusted to, well, someone who can't be trusted.

These managers need to be having conversations with the Teamsters that if they are fired, if they will be included in a return to work agreement with their seniority restored as a line pilot.

If they get demoted from management, they will be seen as heros from those walking around in circles.

We have at least 2 guys in management that can't give up their management positions. They burned their bridges with the pilot group early on and will not be accepted back on the line.

Is it typical that the union decides whether or not a management pilot can come back to the line? If a management pilot desires to return to the line rather than cross a picket line can the union say "no"?

Usually, when a carrier goes on strike, they have a strike center manned 24/7 during the strike to answer phone calls from pilots across the industry to answer the question, 'is this struck work'. It can get VERY complex, but there are resources out there to pilots to help get that question answered.

Say Endeavor was to go on strike. One of the routes Endeavor does would be DTW-ELM. But that same route is also done by ASA/XJT, and say Compass. Suppose Endeavor's flight was the 12pm departure and the 1:50pm return. You can bet Delta will replace this loss of flight by another Connection carrier, say XJT/ASA.

So isn't that flying struck work?

What legal right do the pilots of XJT/ASA (in the example) have to refuse this flight?

When it comes to strike and the regional airline industry, things can get very blurry.

Is it typical that the union decides whether or not a management pilot can come back to the line? If a management pilot desires to return to the line rather than cross a picket line can the union say "no"?

I am not sure of the situation described above, but at least with an ALPA Carrier, the union can take formal disciplinary procedures against a member (management pilots fall in this umbrella if they are on the seniority list, even if they aren't active). There is a very high bar for these disciplinary procedures. From the ALPA Constitution and By-Laws these charges can be brought for the following purposes...

A. Any member (including any Inactive member) may be disciplined, fined, or expelled for any of the following acts:

(1) Willful violation of this Constitution and By-Laws.

(2) Making a false statement or withholding material information when applying for membership.

(3) Disobeying or failing to comply with a decision of the Board of Directors, the Executive Board, the Executive Council, his Master Executive Council, or his Local Council.

(4) Misappropriating money or property of the Association.

(5) Performing work for or assisting an airline during a period when the members of this Association are on strike against such airline.

(6) Entering into an employment agreement, or any contract which might injure the Association.

(7) Improperly disclosing confidential matter of the Association.

(8) Refusing or willfully neglecting to pay dues, assessments, fines or financial obligations to the Association.

(9) Acting in any manner to circumvent, defeat or interfere with collective bargaining between the Association and an employer or with existing collective bargaining agreements.

(10) Doing any act contrary to the best interests of the Association or its members.

It is very, very, very rare for discipline to be handed out, or even brought to this point, however, one of the disciplinary results can be to expel the person from the organization. That would open a host of problems for the individual as they could be in violation of the agency shop rules. That would in turn make the pilot not eligible to be on the seniority list, which in turn could put the pilot's career at the airline in jeopardy.

So the answer is 'yes', but would need to follow a very formal procedure. More than likely, the pilot group would just make it known that the individuals wouldn't be welcome on the picket line and they would hope they wouldn't fly, while the group is on strike.

Back