Air America Phone Interview

Just about 400/110. Approx. 220 PIC, 50 IFR (mostly SIM), etc etc. Basic basic. No mountain/cold weather, which they asked about. I guess my eagerness to travel and be on the road was a plus. I'm heading down the 18th (from SoCal) interviewing the 19th. Basic flight test with some turns, climbs, etc, a hold and an approach. Luckily I did 75% of my training in DAB so I'll *hopefully* remember the area, haha. Looking forward to it.

Anyone have any idea of what no call for in person interview yet but never received "thanks but no thanks" email means at this stage? A entirely separate bank? just wondering...

Anyone have any idea of what no call for in person interview yet but never received "thanks but no thanks" email means at this stage? A entirely separate bank? just wondering...

It means that we are not their number 1 choice but we are still in the running if someone doesn't make the cut or they don't accept the job offer. I called today to ask.

Has anyone interviewed yet? Mine is still over a week and I'm already getting the jitters.

Mine is next Friday, I'll try and remember to give you the skinny after I'm done if I remember and no one else posts details

Just had the interview today... Not an orthodox interview from my experience, but I know everyone has a way of doing things. Got there at 9:00AM and flew first thing. Went out and did a power-on and a power-off stall then to a local airport for some touch-n-go's and a simulated engine-out in the pattern. Pretty standard I guess. Hold over the OMN VOR (which came up quick, even for a 172 because of it's short distance from the airport we departed...) then shot an approach in. Taxied back and shut down, then back to the offices to take the test. 170 question test with a 1 hour time limit but most of it was pretty basic and it was a mix of everything. Wx, IFR, Commercial, Wx Services, Procedures, etc... Nothing you shouldn't already know but there are some tricky ones on there so be sure to read it carefully. Then the rest of the interview was just a review of the test and the questions you missed and some cross-country flight planning questions over mountainous terrain. I was surprised that there wasn't really any sit down "face-to-face" interviewing with questions about resume and experience. So I don't know if that means that they weren't happy about something previously in the flight and were just going through the motions to get me out the door or if they never planned on that from the get-go but that was the only thing I found strange. Other than that it was all pretty standard and I think most everyone will do fine. Good luck!

Just had the interview today... Not an orthodox interview from my experience, but I know everyone has a way of doing things. Got there at 9:00AM and flew first thing. Went out and did a power-on and a power-off stall then to a local airport for some touch-n-go's and a simulated engine-out in the pattern. Pretty standard I guess. Hold over the OMN VOR (which came up quick, even for a 172 because of it's short distance from the airport we departed...) then shot an approach in. Taxied back and shut down, then back to the offices to take the test. 170 question test with a 1 hour time limit but most of it was pretty basic and it was a mix of everything. Wx, IFR, Commercial, Wx Services, Procedures, etc... Nothing you shouldn't already know but there are some tricky ones on there so be sure to read it carefully. Then the rest of the interview was just a review of the test and the questions you missed and some cross-country flight planning questions over mountainous terrain. I was surprised that there wasn't really any sit down "face-to-face" interviewing with questions about resume and experience. So I don't know if that means that they weren't happy about something previously in the flight and were just going through the motions to get me out the door or if they never planned on that from the get-go but that was the only thing I found strange. Other than that it was all pretty standard and I think most everyone will do fine. Good luck!

you never know what they are thinking, keep us updated and thanks for the gouge, goodluck!

Thanks for the info on the interview, I was just contacted today for the face-to-face. Sounds like their still going down the list.

Yeah, anyone in the pool, I turned down the in person interview, so good luck to anyone who gets a call to go down!

Northbound departure from DAB. Slow flight (bottom of the white arc not 55 kts), power off stall, power on stall, steep turns. Then we went to XFL for landings and power off 180's. Depart XFL, intercept and track a VOR w/a hold, then transitioned into the VOR16 DAB with a circle to 7L. It was thorough checkout, but fun. Peter was great to fly with and would be easy to work with.

Northbound departure from DAB. Slow flight (bottom of the white arc not 55 kts), power off stall, power on stall, steep turns. Then we went to XFL for landings and power off 180's. Depart XFL, intercept and track a VOR w/a hold, then transitioned into the VOR16 DAB with a circle to 7L. It was thorough checkout, but fun. Peter was great to fly with and would be easy to work with.

When did they say you would find out if you were selected?

Back