Air America Phone Interview

Does anyone know,what kind of times and experience have pilots from years past had. He asked how I would feel about flying an approach during a cross country move down to minimums, hell I know guys that have 1500 hrs that wouldn't be exactly thrilled with that idea. I told him I could do it but I wouldn't be too excited.

Does anyone know,what kind of times and experience have pilots from years past had. He asked how I would feel about flying an approach during a cross country move down to minimums, hell I know guys that have 1500 hrs that wouldn't be exactly thrilled with that idea. I told him I could do it but I wouldn't be too excited.
If you're not comfortable with an approach to mins at 1500 hours as a professional pilot, you need to just stop and find a new career.

The reason he asked is because there's a good chance it will actually happen.

I think the real question is how many actually have mountain flying experience. Unless you did your training west of the Mississippi then you probably don't.

Zilch. Trained in Florida and Southern Virgina. Like someone above mentioned, he asked about shooting an approach to mins, single pilot, unfamiliar airport. Of course you'll always have apsome pucker factor in a situation like that, lol!

I wouldn't have a problem also taking it down to minimums if I had a good amount of hours in that plane and was comfortable with its nuances. It's a very situational question and they are looking for good ADM and proper judgement in my opinion.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I wonder how many actual phone interviews they did. Said they got 300 apps but didnt say how many phone interviews. Has to be less.

Yea, exactly. I know they gave me a few options to do my interview, and it seems like they start Monday or Tuesday. Couldn't have been more have a dozen a day.

Hey everyone... first post.

I had my phone interview Thursday morning as well... It was really casual. Talked a little about my flight times. As previous posters mentioned, I was asked about my level of comfortability shooting an approach to minimums to which I replied I was very comfortable (I actually find it to be fun). He asked me about my mountain-flying experience of which I have about 20 or so hours. I flew a bunch into NC06 (Elk River Airport) and KAVL on Part91 Charter stuff. He asked me about an emergency situation I've dealt with and I told him about the time I experienced hydraulic failure/ gear extension issues in the Tecnam I used to fly. I've also experienced an engine failure in-flight and had to dead-stick the airplane in but I didn't mention that one haha. He asked me about the way I would handle certain emergency scenarios and we talked a little about airspace. Nothing too crazy. My flight times are 325TT, 185ME, 197Complex, 15Turbine, 90IFR, 95CxC, 20Night, and I have a Tailwheel endorsement. Not so up there with the total time, but I have a lot of "useful" time and real-world commercial experience diver-driving, traffic watch, and some 91 KA200 flights. Best of luck to us all. Hopefully someone gets a call-back for the in-person interview.

Does anyone know if the "flight" portion of the interview is an actual flight or in a sim?

Hey everyone... first post.

I had my phone interview Thursday morning as well... It was really casual. Talked a little about my flight times. As previous posters mentioned, I was asked about my level of comfortability shooting an approach to minimums to which I replied I was very comfortable (I actually find it to be fun). He asked me about my mountain-flying experience of which I have about 20 or so hours. I flew a bunch into NC06 (Elk River Airport) and KAVL on Part91 Charter stuff. He asked me about an emergency situation I've dealt with and I told him about the time I experienced hydraulic failure/ gear extension issues in the Tecnam I used to fly. I've also experienced an engine failure in-flight and had to dead-stick the airplane in but I didn't mention that one haha. He asked me about the way I would handle certain emergency scenarios and we talked a little about airspace. Nothing too crazy. My flight times are 325TT, 185ME, 197Complex, 15Turbine, 90IFR, 95CxC, 20Night, and I have a Tailwheel endorsement. Not so up there with the total time, but I have a lot of "useful" time and real-world commercial experience diver-driving, traffic watch, and some 91 KA200 flights. Best of luck to us all. Hopefully someone gets a call-back for the in-person interview.

Does anyone know if the "flight" portion of the interview is an actual flight or in a sim?

Riddle?

I'd say out of those 300 apps, only about 50% would actually take the job. It's still pretty competitive, but lots of people throw an app in just because it's the first job they actually qualify for. If given a choice of finishing school/CFI or going on the road, I'd choose school every time and most others do too.

No... I started flight training through a local community college and finished through a school called Airline Training Solutions purduepilot2012. And thats my take on it Shiner... I think a lot of people applied, but few would actually take it if given the opportunity. I'm in the process of finishing up my CFI training now so I should have it finished before the job starts if I were to get it. I'll also have closer to 350 to 375 TT by then as well.

I used to be a musician and I spent several months a year for about 3 years living out of hotels and on people's floors so the traveling doesn't bother me one bit. And my last job had me travel a lot so I'm rather used to it.

I'm on the other end of that group. I'd take this over getting a CFI. I would hope in the 8-month season I could get the time for a full ATP as well, that's really wishful thinking. Never really had a desire to get/be a CFI.

Back