AA high speed aborted takeoff at DCA, near miss 5/29/24

All fair points on DCA.

Location aside, I’ve found IAD to be hostile to one’s time. The transport is antique and the distances between things can be really painful for passengers. It’s big and sprawling like DFW or ATL but without any of the efficiency.

But that’s just me.

Some guys will fully brief every single runway in operation and then brief the taxi from each of them like we’re supposed to memorize it. LOL
ugh. Absolutely not. Fortunately, some airlines are slowly starting to learn that, in all honesty, I’m pretty much done listening to your briefing about 10 seconds in to it.

Yeah, I think that’s my main issue with it… lots of runway crossings to get to the gate and I 1, don’t routinely get out there, and 2, when I do it’s typically at the end of a 12 hour duty day when I’m not at my finest
I’m doing BOS all month 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
All fair points on DCA.

Location aside, I’ve found IAD to be hostile to one’s time. The transport is antique and the distances between things can be really painful for passengers. It’s big and sprawling like DFW or ATL but without any of the efficiency.

But that’s just me.
It’s been a long time, but I would take the parts of IAD I’ve seen over any of DFW any day and twice on Sunday. Granted, we don’t have to take the sand crawlers to our gates.

I’m doing BOS all month 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

It’s been a long time, but I would take the parts of IAD I’ve seen over any of DFW any day and twice on Sunday. Granted, we don’t have to take the sand crawlers to our gates.
im not certain I can disagree. I partial to dfw mostly because of home field advantage, you know? With that said dfw has an awful lot of local knowledge and lore that’s definitely it’s own thing and ground tends to get really salty when you mess it up. Woe unto you that calls ground taxing in with a gate number and not a spot.

Definitely no sand crawlers in dee dub but damn the train can sure f you over when it feels ornery.

im not certain I can disagree. I partial to dfw mostly because of home field advantage, you know? With that said dfw has an awful lot of local knowledge and lore that’s definitely it’s own thing and ground tends to get really salty when you mess it up. Woe unto you that calls ground taxing in with a gate number and not a spot.

Definitely no sand crawlers in dee dub but damn the train can sure f you over when it feels ornery.
That drives me nuts that every big airport operates like this. LGA wants you to know if your gate is open as soon as you clear the runway.

That drives me nuts that every big airport operates like this. LGA wants you to know if your gate is open as soon as you clear the runway.
With the local customs or the train? Either way I hate it too. If the former, fine correct me if I say the incantation wrong or some •, but leave the attitude when you talk crap about me in the break room. If the latter, yeah I’m ready to burn down most airports with a train.

With the local customs or the train? Either way I hate it too. If the former, fine correct me if I say the incantation wrong or some •, but leave the attitude when you talk crap about me in the break room. If the latter, yeah I’m ready to burn down most airports with a train.
The tribal knowledge. You can walk all of DFW, no train needed.

San Diego gets by with 1 runway. Why can't DCA?
You can't run tighter patterns with adequate separation because of P-56 and the longer entry procedures gives additional time for NCRCC to monitor airplanes for unusual behaviour. IAD has no such restrictions (plus they're outside the FRZ). And even though La Jolla residents have lobbied FAA on route changes, SAN lacks such hard restrictions as DCA.

Why the anti-DCA stance?A
As if airports around the NCR haven't been screwed hard enough by post 9/11 restrictions. If anything the convo should be and has mostly been loosening restrictions. ADW can be made into a joint civ-mil airport for relief into DCA.

"our runway is fairly short, our glideslope is steep, and if you don't exit by B8 you go to purgatory because 98 SWA and DAL planes just skull f****ked their brakes"

okay okay B8 isn't that hard to make, but holy hell, that airport is like a carrier flight deck......there is absolutely no room for anything. Just when you thought things were gonna get moving, some delta yahoo lands, there is nowhere for them and their hats to go, and you end up in the Mexican standoff, 3 planes, all jets that can't undo being in a 3 way nose to nose situation. Throw in a couple tug operators in training that threw towbars in the alleyway, and things grind to an immediate stop. And then 5 more southwest planes land

I freakin love this description of Lindbergh ops. 😂 What you don’t want to exit at B10 and end up in a clusterf*** with traffic holding on spots 1 thru 4?

F9E18E55-67C9-420B-9784-B0257D85CC9E.jpeg

Surely they must have some kind of record for smallest piece of pavement requiring a ramp tower.

Back