AA high speed aborted takeoff at DCA, near miss 5/29/24

What waste of resources compared to other places? I legitimately don’t understand this position - does this mean you also believe DAL should be closed down too? MDW? SNA?

Metering traffic I can understand. The idea of “two perfectly usable airports in the area” simply doesn’t track though. The ability to cross the Potomac (major choke points) and limited highway (vs traffic needs) make that a non-starter for the area. Too densely populated.

It would be theoretically possible to close DCA and shift all of that traffic to IAD and BWI but the level of infrastructure required to make THAT practical is, I believe, massively prohibitive.

If DAL, MDW, SNA, etc… appeared to be trying to push more flights than they should through their facility because a small handful of people felt they were too important, or were too influential to drive 30 to 90 minutes, or take public transport to a suitable airport then yes, the issue should be addressed.

Not everyone gets to live in the exact part of town that they feel they should, if they don’t like the transportation time to the airport they’re free to move to a more convenient area.

As far as the airport itself, I don’t feel it is inherently dangerous to fly in and out of as a facility, but the operations tempo and use of crossing runways with the security and noise abatement concerns that come with DCA can make it a real disappointment to see it on your schedule…. Unless you live there and that is the most convenient airport for you I guess.

Opinion

My Boston approach brief can be summed up with “we are landing on one of these… probably. And taxi in via, we’ll, some of these… I guess.

I used to think this about Boston, but after flying there a whole bunch, it is surprisingly predictable. The biggest risk in my mind isn't approach or departure, it's taxi. There are a lot of runway to cross.

I used to think this about Boston, but after flying there a whole bunch, it is surprisingly predictable. The biggest risk in my mind isn't approach or departure, it's taxi. There are a lot of runway to cross.
Yeah, I think that’s my main issue with it… lots of runway crossings to get to the gate and I 1, don’t routinely get out there, and 2, when I do it’s typically at the end of a 12 hour duty day when I’m not at my finest

You must have done Track and Field growing up. Everything is about race to you. :eek2:
Track and field? Are you saying that because I'm black and the stereotype about Blacks being good in sports???

I don't like grape soda, watermelon and chicken either.

:D

Getting serious though, I just thought I'd do as bad of a joke as yours was in poor taste.

Stop with the DEI jokes... they're in poor taste and they've never been funny. Never. Like, ever!

Track and field? Are you saying that because I'm black and the stereotype about Blacks being good in sports???

I don't like grape soda, watermelon and chicken either.

:D

Getting serious though, I just thought I'd do as bad of a joke as yours was in poor taste.

Stop with the DEI jokes... they're in poor taste and they've never been funny. Never. Like, ever!

You do realize my own skin color when I make the DEI jokes, right? I mean, right? :)

Btw, DEI I've heard now stands for Didn't Earn It - an idea that has been floated here by more than one person and more than one occasion in regards to my career. Not that I care now, since I have nothing to prove or impress someone.

My Boston approach brief can be summed up with “we are landing on one of these… probably. And taxi in via, well, some of these… I guess.

Right?

Once we land, we’ll listen closely to our taxi instructions and do what they say. If we don’t hear it right, we’ll ask them to clarify.

Some guys will fully brief every single runway in operation and then brief the taxi from each of them like we’re supposed to memorize it. LOL

You do realize my own skin color when I make the DEI jokes, right? I mean, right? :)

Btw, DEI I've heard now stands for Didn't Earn It - an idea that has been floated here by more than one person and more than one occasion in regards to my career. Not that I care now, since I have nothing to prove or impress someone.

Max took the bait and didn’t ignore you like everyone else did.

It gets old. Cut it out.

chill out, dude

JetU didn’t ask what color your(?) money was

Right?

Once we land, we’ll listen closely to our taxi instructions and do what they say. If we don’t hear it right, we’ll ask them to clarify.

Some guys will fully brief every single runway in operation and then brief the taxi from each of them like we’re supposed to memorize it. LOL

Guys do that for PVG and now having been there you know how ridiculous that is.

"our runway is fairly short, our glideslope is steep, and if you don't exit by B8 you go to purgatory because 98 SWA and DAL planes just skull f****ked their brakes"

okay okay B8 isn't that hard to make, but holy hell, that airport is like a carrier flight deck......there is absolutely no room for anything. Just when you thought things were gonna get moving, some delta yahoo lands, there is nowhere for them and their hats to go, and you end up in the Mexican standoff, 3 planes, all jets that can't undo being in a 3 way nose to nose situation. Throw in a couple tug operators in training that threw towbars in the alleyway, and things grind to an immediate stop. And then 5 more southwest planes land

B8? Why so long? GA traffic has to clear by C6 or else you’re hosed waiting to taxi back on B and then cross B4/C4 to the FBO.

"our runway is fairly short, our glideslope is steep, and if you don't exit by B8 you go to purgatory because 98 SWA and DAL planes just skull f****ked their brakes"

okay okay B8 isn't that hard to make, but holy hell, that airport is like a carrier flight deck......there is absolutely no room for anything. Just when you thought things were gonna get moving, some delta yahoo lands, there is nowhere for them and their hats to go, and you end up in the Mexican standoff, 3 planes, all jets that can't undo being in a 3 way nose to nose situation. Throw in a couple tug operators in training that threw towbars in the alleyway, and things grind to an immediate stop. And then 5 more southwest planes land
It's always sporty doing it in a 757-300, especially if full. That thing already lands like a lawn dart on a normal glideslope, let alone the steeper ones. Plus it likes to eat runway. At the end of the day it's still a 757 and will make B8 but doing it without smoking the brakes takes way more work than what I consider pleasant.

It's always sporty doing it in a 757-300, especially if full. That thing already lands like a lawn dart on a normal glideslope, let alone the steeper ones. Plus it likes to eat runway. At the end of the day it's still a 757 and will make B8 but doing it without smoking the brakes takes way more work than what I consider pleasant.
Every time I ride on one of those I just assume they never leave on time trying to deplane and board that many people in one aisle.

Back