A little compassion by the flight crew goes a long way...

Avgirl

Saw this story posted on the Compass blog and thought it was such a nice gesture, that obviously created the most loyal of passengers based on just a little kindness during a less than ideal time. Well done, Captain Dunmyer and the rest of the Compass crew.

https://compassairline.blog/2017/01/27/passenger-blown-away-by-kindness-of-compass-flight-crew/

Passenger Blown Away by Kindness of Compass Flight Crew

above-and-beyond-logo-compass1.jpg

We received the below note from one of our passengers, who was blown away the kindness she was shown by a Compass crew on a recent flight. The passenger had received the worst possible news – her mother had suffered a stroke, and had only hours to live. She desperately wanted to get from Los Angeles to the hospital in Houston in time to say good by. However, her flight to Houston was delayed because another passenger was experiencing a medical emergency. She told a flight attendant about her situation and hoped for the best. As she relays below, the personal response that she received from our flight crew during the delay was beyond anything that she had ever experienced.

On December 3 of 2016, I received a phone call letting me know that my mother had less that 24 hours to live. She had suffered a severe stroke and it was imperative that I go to Houston immediately. I made my way to LAX and boarded the first flight I could get. We had left the gate and were taxiing toward the runway when a passenger took ill. It was decided that they should be taken off the plane.

I wrote a note which I gave to the flight attendant explaining that I understood about the emergency, but if there was any way to expedite the process, I would appreciate it as every minute counted. What happened next was so kind, touching, and heartfelt, that it has brought endless tears to my eyes … and those same tears to the eyes of everyone with whom I’ve shared this story.

A pilot came and spoke with me directly, introducing himself as Captain Seth Dunmyer. He thanked me for my patience and told me that they were doing everything they could. Shortly after that, a flight attendant asked me to come with her. She wanted me closer to the exit door. She took down my bag and I followed her to my new seat in First Class. I was given a box of tissues and made to feel comfortable. Once safely in the air, I was given a handwritten note. I would like to share with you the contents of that note:

Carol,

My name is Seth Dunmyer. I am your Captain on your flight this evening to Houston. First off, I want to thank you for your understanding and patience during the delay we experienced on the ground in Los Angeles. The passenger was in need of medical care according to an on board physician, and was unable to continue to Houston. Thank you again!

I also want to express my condolences to you and your family as you are all rushing to be by her side in the hospital. I promise you we are going to get you there as safely and quickly as possible.

I am not sure if you are a person who believes in God or not, but in these times … I wanted you to know that I have already said a prayer for your mother, and I do believe he will be looking over her. I believe I can speak for the entire crew in wishing the best for you, your mother, and your family as you all deal with this difficult situation.

With Deepest Sympathy,
Captain Seth Dunmyer

If we’re living in a world where acts of kindness will have increased value, Captain Dunmyer and his crew have taken that to heart. No amount of advertising, PR, well-placed articles, or high-end videos can begin to compare to the profound heart and soul of the words and actions of Captain Dunmeyer and his American Eagle crew.

Congratulations to you, and all the men and women at American Airlines, for the magnificent company you’ve created.

By the way, Mom is still with us. We are calling her Miracle Mary. Thank you for your prayers, Captain Dunmyer.

Captain Dunmyer and his entire crew will be entered in our Above & Beyond contest, a quarterly program that recognizes employees who have gone beyond what is required of them. We couldn’t be prouder of the kindness and humanity shown by these Compass employees.

Yea it was a nice gesture and all but it just wreaked of him trying to get attention.

Maybe he is just a good guy. There are a lot of genuine people out there, but a lot more that seem to want to discredit that. It's not everyday that you would ever get a written compliment from a passenger. That's an enormous compliment in of itself.

Seth is a very good friend of mine. I'm not surprised at all that he did those things for the passenger. He is a great person and this is a perfect example of his character. This world needs more people like him.

In absolutely no way whatsoever was he doing this for attention and I'm offended someone would even suggest it.

Back