40 years ago today....

Buzz Aldrin recently called the race to the moon a dead end in a Washington Post editorial. Instead of re-living a program that ends in a series of moon landing, he proposed a focus on establishing a human colony on Mars.

I think that would be truly innovative (and seems nearly impossible from what little I know). It doesn't appear that we're going to land on the moon for an order of magnitude-cheaper cost per pound than the Apollo program or anything, and in some ways, sitting on the surface of the moon is even more complicated than working in a station in low-Earth orbit (the energy required to get there, the uniquely-abrasive dust, radiation).

I've had the honor of meeting Colonel Aldrin and I've got to say good for him! (I've never seen that video before though.)

Not an American Badass... just American. We get things done :)

fatuswoman.jpg

I think that would be truly innovative (and seems nearly impossible from what little I know). It doesn't appear that we're going to land on the moon for an order of magnitude-cheaper cost per pound than the Apollo program or anything, and in some ways, sitting on the surface of the moon is even more complicated than working in a station in low-Earth orbit (the energy required to get there, the uniquely-abrasive dust, radiation).

That is a great plan. But we need the moon first, to prove that we've got equipment, programs, people and logistics figured out. I'm sure the first 747 didn't just blast off across the Atlantic, without doing some short range flying first, to test everything out. The moon doesn't have much ROI (return on investment) other for than R&D on systems to get to Mars.

If God meant for man to fly, he'd have given him wings!

Oh, wait... gotta wrap this internet thing up real quick and get to brief. JFK-BRU tonight.

Some believe that we never made it to the moon. Do we have any nay sayers on here?

There was a guy here a while back who said he worked at NASA as a guide or something, but quit once he "realized" the landings were faked. Can't remember who it was.

Back