I caught a guard meower today

Not even close to ICAO phraseology that often leaves foreign controllers confused.
Copy. Concur. In the immortal words of R.L. Burnside, "It's bad, you know". Funny how 'Muricans can't even be convinced to speak standard English. Must rankle their sensibilities 'bout thar raaaaaights in the global hegemony.

Last edited:
That's all likely true. And humans really are pretty decent vocal discriminators. Just like humans are pretty good facial discriminators. Still, eye witnesses have been proven notoriously inaccurate as evidence in courts of law, as I suspect could be proven similarly about aural witnesses in courts of law. And a court of law is likely where throwing out specific information would go if the guilty party ever determined they'd been outed. Worse, if the innocent party found they'd been wrongly outed. Despite what you hear from certain bombastic folks in the news lately, investigations into wrongdoing are almost always best done quietly.

But, hey! Dis is Joysee! If dis is da guy, follow 'im to the hotel room with a pillow case full a' soap. Know what i'm talkin' bout?
I agree with "quiet investigations" being best.

Have spent a lot of years working radio in a different career field with maybe seventy (give or take) response agencies, multiple counties, and two states. Don't mind stating unequivocally that you learn who you're talking with during and after a call (landline/cell), who the newbies are coming up through the ranks, and so forth - over time. Until you get to know a name, voices and mannerisms become familiar, recognizable, and comfortable. I still occasionally listen to radio traffic on the scanner and generally know many of the voices after four years retirement.

Not suggesting an exact equivalence with ATC and the airlines but noting that voices and mannerisms of radio use are recognizable, especially if one would fly regularly through the same airspace and despite the large numbers of people doing so, given enough time. Would it hold up in a court of law? IDK. It might with the recordings certainly available; maybe it wouldn't.

Not trying to be adversarial but simply provide a different perspective.

Last edited:
Execute them with Extreme Prejudice. This is Sanctioned by The Company. The less said, the better. Cement shoes are recommended.

Obviously, I don't know who you are and did not participate in this supposed "chat" on "The Internet".

I can confirm this. Ask me how I know… :D

I agree with "quiet investigations" being best.

Have spent a lot of years working radio in a different career field with maybe seventy (give or take) response agencies, multiple counties, and two states. Don't mind stating unequivocally that you learn who you're talking with during and after a call (landline/cell), who the newbies are coming up through the ranks, and so forth - over time. Until you get to know a name, voices and mannerisms become familiar, recognizable, and comfortable. I still occasionally listen to radio traffic on the scanner and generally know many of the voices after four years retirement.

Not suggesting an exact equivalence with ATC and the airlines but noting that voices and mannerisms of radio use are recognizable, especially if one would fly regularly through the same airspace and despite the large numbers of people doing so, given enough time. Would it hold up in a court of law? IDK. It might with the recordings certainly available; maybe it wouldn't.

Not trying to be adversarial but simply provide a different perspective.
You're good with me. You just laid out a concurrence with my opinion. I agree that voices are relatively easy to recognize, much more so over time with repetition and practice. I have no argument with that at all. I hope that's pretty much what I said to @NovemberEcho. My second point, however, was only that it's one thing to recognize a voice, and a whole other thing to indisputably prove that you recognize a particular voice beyond a reasonable doubt. So, you know, speak softly, carry a big stick, and wait 'til all the evidence coheres to use that big stick. (We don't want good folks like our late fall shot caller from Jersey getting hamstrung in some jackpot... Shoot, I don't even know who he is, but I'm sure he's done yeoman's work cranking my sorry tail into TEB. Approach at TEB is my kind of controllers. You know, actually controlling! Some will disagree, but I love those guys and gals. They get 'er done, with precision and alacrity. And if you don't do what they telll ya pronto, they spin ya out into Pennsylvania someplace!)

Last edited:
It’s quite a shame all the DF Steer equipment in the lower 48 was decommissioned back in 2007. Repurposing it for finding the guard meowers would have been hilarious.

FCC used to staff monitoring stations too and fine people for transmitting outside their designated band, but I’m not sure what the current status of those is.

This is part of the reason I use UHF guard when needed.

You don’t get some jackass in a C17 going “you’re on gaaaaRD!” While you’re trying to transmit a no kidding emergency because your flight of 6 just punched into weather and are executing an IIMC breakup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back