Man duct-taped to seat after allegedly groping Frontier flight attendants

Does the contract of carriage include a clause that says the airline will evac someone who was restrained due to asshattery though?

um-yeah-im-gonna-have-to-get-back-to-you-on-that.jpg

By the book, you’re not supposed to tie down someone to an airplane structure itself.

But in this case, that guy had it coming.

MikeD has a good point, if something went wrong during landing and he didn’t evacuate and died, F9 would be in trouble, maybe even the FAs.

Details are probably SSI, but some airlines use a system like this. Also, it's not unusual to put an eye mask on the passenger, as well as secure their feet to the seat. I have no idea about evacuation protocol once a passenger is secure.

DSC00672.JPG

By the book, you’re not supposed to tie down someone to an airplane structure itself.

But in this case, that guy had it coming.

MikeD has a good point, if something went wrong during landing and he didn’t evacuate and died, F9 would be in trouble, maybe even the FAs.

These bleeding heart liberals always worried about the rights of criminals

Oh jeez, they make the disruptive passenger weary khakis and a polo?!

Edit: if there's danger to the restrained passenger, that kinda balances against and danger from immediately removing them from the aircraft, doesn't it?

Moreso curious the liability issues that would be involved.

OK, I should have tagged my post as sarcastic.

You see, Cherokee comes across as heavily conservative, thus, when I sarcastically call him out as a liberal, it's a veiled insult like a backhanded backhand.

It's not as funny when i have to explain it.

Thanks for killing the joke. /s

(see, that last part is tagged now for clarity)

You see, Cherokee comes across as heavily conservative, thus, when I sarcastically call him out as a liberal, it's a veiled insult like a backhanded backhand.

?

I said the guy had it coming. And simply pointed out from a liability aspect, the airline would have gotten in trouble if things went bad during landing/evac.

Never explain your humor.

I’d say no more so than the straight back passengers which can’t evac them self.

“Many characteristics of maritime travel were carried over into the fledgling aviation industry, and captain’s authority likewise became one of aviation’s basic tenets. FAR 91.3 (a) states:“The pilot-in-command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.”FAR 121.535 (d) further states:“Each pilot in command of an aircraft is, during flight time, in command of the aircraft and crew and is responsible for the safety of the passengers, crewmembers, cargo, and airplane.”
Case law (much of it in connection with liability suits) also firmly supports this principle and grants broad (although not unlimited) discretion to the captain in fulfilling this responsibil- ity. For example, any assessment of a captain’s decision must be weighed in view of information known to the crew at the time (not after the fact) and must be balanced against the probable risks and consequences involved, the availability (or lack thereof ) of options, and the short amount of time available for decision-making. To be sure, a captain may be called to defend his or her decisions, but the regulations and case law frame a strong presumption that the captain is exercising sound professional judgment in these situations.” - Air line pilot, 2007

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a trade off. You can be guaranteed if he was left free and caused harm to additional passengers or crew when there were known means to restrain him those civil suits would be filed. The back office is likely to decide the odds of him suffering harm in the unlikely event of an evacuation where said restraints were inhibiting his ability to egress doesn't outweigh the liability of leaving him free to roam the cabin after assaulting crew members.

That’s a good question. :)
I believe most, probably all, airlines have a policy that you do nut cuff or tie passengers to the seat. Specifically for evacuation purposes.
Personally this guy is the last person I’d be concerned with evacuating, but we are still responsible for their safety.

I just figured it was an interesting thought experiment, especially in todays litigious society. Ultimately, the guy’s own actions in making himself an immediate and unpredictable safety threat to the cabin crew and by extension, other passengers, necessitated some means of detention and control.

I just figured it was an interesting thought experiment, especially in todays litigious society. Ultimately, the guy’s own actions in making himself an immediate and unpredictable safety threat to the cabin crew and by extension, other passengers, necessitated some means of detention and control.
Yes absolutely so. And I’m not faulting the crew for what they did. It’s a good learning experience to analyze this.

It's a trade off. You can be guaranteed if he was left free and caused harm to additional passengers or crew when there were known means to restrain him those civil suits would be filed. The back office is likely to decide the odds of him suffering harm in the unlikely event of an evacuation where said restraints were inhibiting his ability to egress doesn't outweigh the liability of leaving him free to roam the cabin after assaulting crew members.

To be honest, I can’t think of a single means of restraint which don’t render him unable to self rescue. It’s not like he can undo a seatbelt, or, what good is the restraint if you leave him the ability to get out of it solo?

Even if the belt is the only thing holding him in, assuming nobody wants to undo the crazy guy and he stays buckled and dies, result isn’t the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO OFFENSE TO OUR F9 FRIENDS!

but…

If daddy is worth $2 million, why the hell is he flying Frontier?

Weird flex, bro.
Millionaires didn't get to be millionaires by wasting money on.....uh.....STRETCH seating (available in the first three rows).

Back