Called back up to the big leagues

greg1016

Trustworthy Source
So I don't post a lot of personal stuff here. I started my career at ZNY Oceanic in 2010, it took nearly four and a half years, but I failed to complete my training there and they sent me down to the minors (AGC). Turns out the radar is not for me, but I love the tower. Training here went a lot more smoothly and after another 4.5, three at full performance and 2 as a trainer myself it is time to move on. Today is my last day at AGC. It is a bit surreal with the pandemic, I haven't seen 2/3 of my colleagues, my mentors and friends in two months. It is not the exit I envisioned.

However, I am happy to announce that the reason for my exit is that I've been called back up to New York, this time to JFK. Although the new normal is cause for a lot of uncertainty as far as training at my new tower, I am excited for the opportunity and am looking forward to working some large jets and no doubt talking to some of you again eventually.

Yeah I haven't seen an LJY since February. Sorry, wasn't exactly proud of leaving ZNY so I didn't talk about it much around here.
There’s no loss of dignity in learning that one is not good at something; every one of us is not suited for a whole host of things. The key is to find the thing that one excels at and enjoys, and then become the best at whatever that thing may be. Sounds like you’ve found your niche in the tower: congratulations!

Id love working a place like KPCA tower. Slow and easy.

sounds nicer than it is. Slow traffic is boring traffic and makes the day take fooooorrrreeevvveeerrr. if you want an example, turn your tv off and then just stare at it for 2 hours. Give me a push every session without VFR’s checking in with their life story 20nm from where they say they are and I’ll be a happy controller.

sounds nicer than it is. Slow traffic is boring traffic and makes the day take fooooorrrreeevvveeerrr. if you want an example, turn your tv off and then just stare at it for 2 hours. Give me a push every session without VFR’s checking in with their life story 20nm from where they say they are and I’ll be a happy controller.

Well, this would explain 100% why the guys at PCA tower always seem happy to talk to me and with great customer service when I’m transiting their area. They’re not even a formal Class D, but having a tower, they have to be treated like one. I give them a call, for that as well as to get some current winds and a local altimeter setting, and man do they want to make conversation on the air....about anything. Lol. :). Great group of Army controllers out there, always friendly and helpful. Last time I flew over, it looked like them and the Crash rescue crew were doing a concurrent BBQ or some kind in front of the tower, while having fire hose wars.

Id love working a place like KPCA tower. Slow and easy.
Yeah it sounds a lot nicer than it is for sure. Hell, at least up here in Pittsburgh I have grass to watch grow, rain to watch the pavement dry, and occasionally snow to watch melt. Probably don't have any of that at PCA. :cool:

Congrats! AGC was my second home from 2013-2016, it felt like we were there 3x a week with those pesky Lear Jets. There were many missed beer opportunities.

Oooooh I have an idea.
Next time my EWR or LGA doesn't cancel imana ask you for a practice no gyro approach

Back