Trump wants his personal Pilot to lead the FAA

Lots of pilots are good at other stuff, but being an amazing pilot doesn't make one automatically awesome in non-aviation related items.

Could you imagine an "I'm a high seniority, highly esteemed captain and I'm running a (marriage counseling/financial advisory) business!"

Lots of pilots are good at other stuff, but being an amazing pilot doesn't make one automatically awesome in non-aviation related items.

Could you imagine an "I'm a high seniority, highly esteemed captain and I'm running a (marriage counseling/financial advisory) business!"

No, unless the person was legitimately qualified in said field. Of which hopefully they wouldn’t use the fact that they are a pilot as their qualification.

No, unless the person was legitimately qualified in said field. Of which hopefully they wouldn’t use the fact that they are a pilot as their qualification.

Over the years, I've seen so many people use "airline pilot" as a accoutrement to their qualifications in non-avation related business ventures.

Hell, look at "The Moak Group". The guy was an ALPA MEC chairman and he built a consultancy around it. Can he balance a checkbook? Who knows.

Yes, that.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Yes, that.

*picks up PA handset*

"Captain Doug says when you're in Louisville and you need a no load mutual fund, go with the best, go with WidgetPilots Financial. You can get a quote, a sandwich and an Asian massage and we'll pick you up at the airport"

takemymoney.jpg

I hate to say it, but if you can’t find the idiot in the room...

You know, I was thinking the same thing, but for once I wasn't the guy who let it slip past the internal filter. :D

I’m taking issue with the statement that ‘pilots are terrible at doing other things.’ Maybe you have a reading comprehension issue, or you just fly with weird pilots. You don’t know me, but thanks for the insult. Always easy on the internet.

Back when I was an MEC officer I remember sitting down and talking to the airline's VP Flight Ops. I was giving him a hard time for not hiring more line pilots to do flight ops administrative work. His response:

"Todd, I was a line pilot, so I'd love to hire more line pilots to come in here and do work. But every time I try to give a pilot a job in here, they struggle to write an email with proper grammar and spelling, they can't put together a PowerPoint presentation to save their lives, and designing a complex spreadsheet is completely off the table. So I can either pay them $200k to do a horrible job, or I can pay someone else $50k to do a great job. What would you do?"

I never bothered him again about it.

You know, I was thinking the same thing, but for once I wasn't the guy who let it slip past the internal filter. :D

Back when I was an MEC officer I remember sitting down and talking to the airline's VP Flight Ops. I was giving him a hard time for not hiring more line pilots to do flight ops administrative work. His response:

"Todd, I was a line pilot, so I'd love to hire more line pilots to come in here and do work. But every time I try to give a pilot a job in here, they struggle to write an email with proper grammar and spelling, they can't put together a PowerPoint presentation to save their lives, and designing a complex spreadsheet is completely off the table. So I can either pay them $200k to do a horrible job, or I can pay someone else $50k to do a great job. What would you do?"

I never bothered him again about it.
Watching people send ACARS messages is painful sometimes. "No, it's definitely not spelled like that."

One thing I learned when I took a management training class is that this is not at all unique to aviation. There were folks in my class from IT, Sales, production, financial management, aviation...and almost to a T we were all in the same boat of excelling at our jobs and then being faced with a steep learning curve when transitioning to a more managerial/hands off role.

I’m taking issue with the statement that ‘pilots are terrible at doing other things.’ Maybe you have a reading comprehension issue, or you just fly with weird pilots. You don’t know me, but thanks for the insult. Always easy on the internet.

Chill man. It’s the internet and I was kidding....

You were a stock broker? Oh sheesh, now I really wouldn’t listen to your pilot investment advice ;)

I had no idea you were a career changer into aviation.

No one will ever get investment advice from me. Even family.

Third career.
1. Military
2. Finance
3. Aviation.

I have been flying airplanes since I was 5 years old. My dad was a fighter pilot in the AF, and then corporate aviation.

Watching people send ACARS messages is painful sometimes. "No, it's definitely not spelled like that."
Dude... literally painful.

Honestly pilots have some of the weirdest/wildest ideas about money sometimes. I think it’s a byproduct of too much free time.

That right there is another argument for the degree requirement.

It's an argument for a writing test prior to being hired.

If someone can't learn to write clearly after 12 years of grade school, 4 more years isn't going to help. I also know lots of people that didn't go to college and they write beautifully.

Back