YOUR ATP experiences here....

Airdale

Since things got way off topic in the other thread, I figured I would start this thread to share experiences, good or bad, at ATP. Forget the marketing on their website. With the likes of JetU and Gulfstream and their marketing, I don't blame ATP for trying to attract some attention.

I was in training at ATP for a total of 7 months start to finish. Took 3 months for my PPL due to weather in Florida, and I did the self paced program at TTN. I flew Monday thru Friday with my instructor, Matt (now Xjet FO). Before ATP I was AD Coast Guard, and during my 4 year tour I actually started working on my PPL at 2 different local flight schools. My experience with the local schools was lack of structure, lack of standardization ( I was often bounced between different instructors), and a lack of consistency with how things are done in the airplane. One lesson I was doing stalls, the next we were tracking VOR radials with 3 hrs in my logbook. :rolleyes:

ATP on the other hand, was structured. Every instructor taught the same procedures and of course inflicted their own techniques. The program was well planned and laid out. I soloed in 12hrs and was flying solo x/c's 2 days later. The day after my I passed my PPL checkride, I was flying in solid IMC for 4hrs on a round trip flight to Ft. Lauderale with an instructor. I logged 15hrs actual during my "172 x/c time building".

I left Jax and headed home for NJ, where I started the ACPP the following week. Matt and I worked out a nice schedule, Mon-Fri I would train for 4-5hrs a day, bar tend on the weekends for cash. I passed my Pvt. Multi checkride after 7.2hrs in the Seminole. The very next day I was in the sim "offically" starting my instrument training. I worked on my instrument rating for almost 2 months, during November and December ('05). During that time I logged approx. 20hrs actual, thanks to Matt being a "cloud hunter". We mainly flew on crappy days during my IRA training so that I would get good experience. I actually caught bad windshear on one approach and saw a 1500fpm descent at 1200AGL that forced me into a go around. Winds were NASTY. I actually didn't want to fly, but Matt convinced me that it would make me more confident with flying in wind. No doubt, winds were 28kts gusting 37. My first day of IOE at Colgan the winds were 30kts gusting 40. :D

I passed my IR checkride on Dec. 22nd. It was actually a very hard checkride due to the weather, I believe is was gusting a little above 20kts and the ceilings were 1500 overcast, typical in NJ in the winter. The examiner was very good, he just gave me task directions and mainly observed. I shot a Loc. backcourse, and then an ILS with a 20kt tailwind (didn't land). Shot a partial panel VOR approach to a rejected landing, a GPS approach and a SE ILS to landing. It was a bumpy day, so I was beat when we landed.

After I got my IRA, I took about two weeks off around the holidays. Went back for a quick CRM flight with an instructor and was off on X/C's. All this talk about "safety pilot" time being worthless is total BS. I learned a TON while being a "safety pilot". You get paired up with another student, combined the two of you have less then 400hrs flight time. And now you are flying cross countries, real cross countries with 2-3hr legs, in real weather. You learn REAL quick how to work with someone and how to utilize CRM. Cross country flying made you figure things out, you learned from your partner and you worked together. I thought it was awesome experience, that now, as an FO, has payed off because when you're the PNF as an FO, your job is the same. Back up the guy flying.

So I flew cross countries for alittle over 2 weeks. Logged 14hrs actual during x/c's (winter time in on the east coast), shot 2 approaches to mins, accumulated a bunch of ice ( and learned a valuable lesson about reading weather reports properly ;) ). After x/c's I came back to NJ for week to prep for Commercial. The Commercial checkride was a walk in the park after the x/c flying. My confidence and skill was much higher then before, and the Commercial ride went well. A week later, I was on my way to Atlanta for CFI school. Studied my tail off for 1 week prepping for the CFI ride and learned how to "teach" what I was doing in the airplane. Took my CFI ride with a DE drawn out of hat in Ft. Lauderdale. Long oral, about 7 hours, then a 2hr flight. Finished at 5:00pm with a nice congrats by the examiner on being well prepared and flying sharp. X/C a Seminole to Jax that same night, and then to ATL the same night. I landed in ATL with a 80deg. crosswind at 15kts gusting to 20. That was the first time I ever landed in a crosswind and actually did it perfect. :D

Finished up my CFI ratings in a week, got hired by ATP, and instructed from April - '06 to November - '06. Left ATP, took care of some family things while enjoying a little R&R flying at our local flying club before getting hired to fly the Beech.

Overall, I was impressed with ATP's program. The training was very standardized and professional. I felt safe flying at ATP and my instructor Matt was a great instructor who really made sure I understood much more then what was required to "pass" the checkride. Matt taught me how to be a pilot and we did some real flying together in the Northeast during the most challenging time of year. I taught the 90 day program for 5 months, and did add-on ratings my last few months. I believe I took a lot pride and responsibility as an instructor. I took care of my students and made sure they knew what they needed and more. I actually typed up a 20 page instrument rating training guide for them to use and study.

Time at ATP as a student = Aug. 2005-March 2006 (60 day PPL - self paced ACPP)
Flight time upon graduating = 230TT - 155 Multi
Cost of program = $7,995 PPL , $37,995 ACPP , $2,500 in examiner fees = $48,490

I instructed for 8 months got hired with 450TT. For what I paid and what I got at ATP, I thought it was a great deal and in the end I feel like my training developed me into a pretty good pilot. They didn't guarantee me an airline job. I pretty much had absolutely no life for 8 months while instructing at ATP. I was at the office 7 days a week, and it was getting hard on my fiance because I had no money and no time. I got lucky we had an agreement with Colgan for 400/100, because instructing at ATP was hell, not sure how much of that I could have taken. :eek: But guess what, I've got 3 stripes on my shoulder, I get to hand fly a kick$$ turboprop with pax and I have almost 40hrs Turbine SIC 121 time in my logbook. I got complimented on a landing today too by a Pax....I love this stuff! :p Thanks to ATP for helping me get from point A to point B with no BS along the way.

Awesome write-up! Thanks a ton, as that is very informative for people such as myself considering ATP. I just scheduled a visit for June 16th at the Arlington, TX location and will hopefully be able to do the 90-day program beginning in August sometime!

Hey cig

I havent taken the tour yet but I am scheduled to start the 90 day Aug 13. Let me know what you think.

Nick

Back