World's Scariest Runways

I don't know about the other post you two are talking about, but there is a big difference between mistakingly saying something and making an outrageous claim.

I don't know about the other post you two are talking about, but there is a big difference between mistakingly saying something and making an outrageous claim.

I know. But still, there's no need to get angry and "attack" or "diss" someone for it. A polite and respectful correction is all that is asked.

The scariest runway I have flown into is Wolf Lake in Wasilla:panic:

Wolf Lake is the 3rd best strip in the Valley what are you smoking (j/k)

There's no FBOs up here pretty much either. THere's one in Fairbanks, One (maybe two) in anchorage, and a chain of "AeroServices" down in south east. I guess you could count brothers Pizza in Bethel, a rundown pizza place that happens to be on PABE.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Lukla yet, VNLK.

It is a sloping 1600' runway that has a 2000' drop off the lower end of the runway. So you take off going down the hill and land going up it, regardless of what the wind is like. If you want to climb Everest, its pretty much your only option unless you want to take another 7-10 days walking in.

On top of everything mentioned above there is no: metar, TAF, VOR, NDB, or radar coverage. It is also at 9100' and there is no missed approach or "going around". Once you are on final you are committed to land or else you will be flying into the mountain at the end of the runway. Tragically this happened just last week.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27078421/

I thought you were a DEN FO? TEX is only served out of PHX. You make it sound like you have done it.

I've flown both systems, as have most Dash pilots. They have denver guys sitting reserve quite often in Phoenix and paradoxically also Phoenix guys sitting reserve in Denver. I have also flown into TEX in a 402.

It's a small one, but a DEADLY one.

North Las Vegas Airport.

Anyone going into there be careful. Look up the history,

Not LAS or Henderson, but North Las Vegas.

Take it from me.

Respects to all who visit any dangerous airport. Stay safe! :rawk:

You can't.
You only go in uphill and go out downhill. Somewhat like the one in Nepal by Everest.
It's one of those you'll have the "go-around improbable" comment in the A/FD.

Here's some places in my neck of the woods

Here's port lyons on Kodiak, it was a pretty easy strip

Here's Dutch, that was always fun, not really short, but rough as hell all the way in.
DUT-b.jpg

Here's Nikolski, down the chain from Dutch,

Here's Kong, never been there but heard the stories

DUY-a.jpg

Kwethluk, flown over it plenty of times, kind of a hell hole.

KWT-a.jpg

Whittier, flown in, and drove in plenty of times, its spooky to fly in here
IEM-c.jpg

Cordova, probably my favorite place in all alaska

CKU-a.jpg

Here's the link for more: http://www.alaska.faa.gov/fai/airports.htm

:D St. Barths: 2100X50 The Ranch-Gardiner, NY: 2400X20 with twin otters!

Attachments

• DSCN2692.jpg
    DSCN2692.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 77
  • ranch.jpg
    ranch.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 77
scariest runway....HAS to be at the old "Members Only" warehouse. that walkoff between Zoolander and Hansel was EXTREME!

Attachments

• zoolander.jpg
    zoolander.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 106
33R at BOS with a full boat, remaining clear of the 27 approach end. :D

2557', not bad.

Back