Local airports close as General Aviation wanes

Addressed already.

""We live in a country that has over 100 airports for every state in the union."

= false.

Justify it however you like. It is not true.

Not false. Depending on your source, it's about 104 airports per state. Sorry that you can't do math.

Hawaii, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Utah, West Virginia, Wyoming......... all less than 104 airports. Far less.

Twist the numbers however you wish. This is my last post in this thread on this topic.

You can't admit you are wrong.......... ever. And that is your problem. And at ANY hint of someone questioning you, you respond with an *immediate* personal attack/insult (re: dumbass comment). You can play and act like an adult or a child, but you can't have it both ways.

Good day!

The fact is, there is an overall decline, in both operations as well as aircraft ownership as well as new manufacturing of light GA aircraft. Doesn't take much to see when Cessna no longer mass produces light singles, and instead builds them to order, that the demand isn't there for them. Same for other manufacturers. The volume of GA flying around just my area, who is doing the majority of what flying there is here, and other factors, all point to a shift that has been going on for some time, and is only getting worse. You can't look at one factor or one number, and call that a broad picture of what's going on, because it is hardly indicitive of any kind of totality of circumstances.

We're talking past each other. I'm not disputing what you're saying about those facts. I'm disputing that those facts represent some sort of poor environment for GA. I believe the prior environment, much like pilot contracts pre-9/11, was unsustainable and artificial. What we have now is much more realistic for what really can't be expected to be an inexpensive hobby.

U.S. economy = $17.41 trillion.

U.S. population = 318.9 million.

Ergo, we live in a country in which every man, woman, and child receives $54,493.92. Every one of 'em. There is no poverty in the U.S.

Hey, it's true because it's an "average." :bang:

Yeah . . . right. I'll take "I Got It Wrong" for a hundred, Alex. :stir:

Much like home prices and personal income, the difference between mean and median is important here.

I think airports per capita or square miles per airport might be better measures of "airportiness."

hook_dupin said:
Much like home prices and personal income, the difference between mean and median is important here. I think airports per capita or square miles per airport might be better measures of "airportiness."

By any of those measures, this country is flooded with airports that virtually no one uses.

By any of those measures, this country is flooded with airports that virtually no one uses.

This is actually the case. The whole country is filled with airports that are barely used. Airport usage and airport number is not an accurate portrayal of the health of GA. There are countless airports with very few (and sometimes zero) daily operations scattered throughout the country. You didn't really rebut any of the points in the article before, you simply said:

Again, you're starting from the false assumption that those levels are what is necessary for it to be considered a strong community. Just because the levels are below what they once were does not make the current environment unhealthy. I would say that the peak numbers were an aberration. We live in a country that has over 100 airports for every state in the union. We should consider ourselves very fortunate.

To which I'll say, "what to you constitutes a healthy level of GA activity." If we're going to debate semantics, let's debate semantics.

To which I'll say, "what to you constitutes a healthy level of GA activity." If we're going to debate semantics, let's debate semantics.

I would say a healthy level of GA activity is whatever the free market supports. GA is already subsidized by the airlines paying pretty much everything into the Trust Fund, so I'm not too much interested in more artificial market enhancers.

Back