World's Scariest Runways

I would also say that the equipment you are flying may make some runways scarier than others. Like Chester (O05) in a 95,000lb plane, Pohang, ROK, Kodiak, and McCall Idaho are my least favorites to fly in and out of.

I didn't mind Gib, but I was in a C-12 (BE-200) at the time so that may be why.

Fallbrook..eh, no biggie. Big bear is a good time and on a windy day just getting there through the valley over the lake is a challenge with wind shear and mountain wave.

KGKY, especially when solo students are in the pattern... I'm not sure if I miss those days or not?

I received a bulletin tonight that now daytime opearations at KAKR are just about as bad as a night. Brett (Maurus) released his first student for solo today!

:nana2:CONGRATS MAN! :nana2: Keep me informed earlier next time so I can make sure my plane stays in the hanger!

KGKY, especially when solo students are in the pattern... I'm not sure if I miss those days or not?

Yeah like one little gem that cut me off on final the other day, never talked to tower until AFTER exiting the runway asking for taxi to park!

JFK? Please its a cakewalk! The Canarsie Approach has to be my favorite apporach into JFK, whats so scary about it? The 5-10 degree turn around the Belt Parkway, OMG!:panic:

If any of you have flown into St Barth's, You are a true pilot! (MikeOH58);)

JFK? Please its a cakewalk! The Canarsie Approach has to be my favorite apporach into JFK, whats so scary about it? The 5-10 degree turn around the Belt Parkway, OMG!:panic:

How many times have you flow this approach? (and by flow I mean as a pilot)

I know the answer is zero.:panic:
Fly a approach a few times then call it a cakewalk.

Because of the diminutive 1,312-foot-long runway perched at the edge of a couloir at 7,550 feet, becoming airborne at the end of the tarmac is virtually impossible. Instead, you drop down the face of a 2,000-foot cliff until you start flying.

Now that is something I would love to try at least once...:rawk:

Apples and oranges, guys! Keep in mind that this article was written from a pax standpoint. DCA is not that bad when you're sitting up front - heck, I would even call it fun - but have you ever sat in the back during the River Visual or the visual/ILS 1 land on 33?? You're looking at the runway the whole time you're 'yanking and banking' coming thru 500agl and often times, the only thing that the folks in back can see is water. Don't forget they can't see forward and there are many airports that the first part of the airport they see is when you cross the threshold. Same principle with the approach into JFK. Pax have become accustomed to long, stabilized final approaches and become a little skittish when you start manuevering close (or what they consider close) to the ground or when all they can see is water or cityscape with no glimpse of the airport.

I was just gonna mention that. I did the river visual to 1, circle to 33 and it's a ton of fun; but it's gotta look pretty gnarly from the back. Of course I didn't help the pax by performing a carrier landing on 33 and getting us off the runway at Juliet.

...but I brought this into this forum to discuss it from a pilot standpoint.

If I wanted to discuss the whole thing from a passenger standpoint, I would have called my dad. God knows, he's flown everywhere.

I'd say PADU is pretty bad too. That's always spooky. NDB/DME-C to a medium length strip with bad weather every time. Plus you have to go around ballyhoo if the winds are wrong. Further, you can have the visibility and cx mins for the approach and hit the 4DME fix and think you can continue in because you think you have the runway insight because there tend to be very oddly lit ships on the approach cooridor. Dutch is spooky.

How many times have you flow this approach? (and by flow I mean as a pilot)

I know the answer is zero.:panic:
Fly a approach a few times then call it a cakewalk.

Do you think the Canarsie approach is the most scariest/difficult in the world? You don't have to fly an approach to know that the Canarsie approach is in no way as difficult than St Bart's, Honduras, even Quito! and I am pretty sure YOU have not flown (as a pilot) to those places...

Same could go for Algebra/Calculus... You don't have to do each problem to know by plain sight that Calculus is way harder. Could the Canarsie approach be more difficult than other approaches? Sure. Does that mean it is the hardest in the world? I doubt it.

I really can't stand the hostility lately with all this " I fly a ERJ and its way harder than a B1900" or "Your job is not as hard as mine" is the economy really making people this mean? O.k. I am not a pilot, not even a PPL, but that does not mean you have to throw it in my face! You could have simply said " well kid, I have flown the approach and it ain't no cakewalk!" but noo, its basically "what the hell do you know, your not even a pilot" For really, if we youngsters are inaccurate or saying something dumb, why not just simply guide us in a respectable way instead of dissing us such as coa787 was... That is what i call professional!:banghead::(

Do you think the Canarsie approach is the most scariest/difficult in the world? You don't have to fly an approach to know that the Canarsie approach is in no way as difficult than St Bart's, Honduras, even Quito! and I am pretty sure YOU have not flown (as a pilot) to those places...

Same could go for Algebra/Calculus... You don't have to do each problem to know by plain sight that Calculus is way harder. Could the Canarsie approach be more difficult than other approaches? Sure. Does that mean it is the hardest in the world? I doubt it.

I really can't stand the hostility lately with all this " I fly a ERJ and its way harder than a B1900" or "Your job is not as hard as mine" is the economy really making people this mean? O.k. I am not a pilot, not even a PPL, but that does not mean you have to throw it in my face! You could have simply said " well kid, I have flown the approach and it ain't no cakewalk!" but noo, its basically "what the hell do you know, your not even a pilot" For really, if we youngsters are inaccurate or saying something dumb, why not just simply guide us in a respectable way instead of dissing us such as coa787 was... That is what i call professional!:banghead::(

Relax man, it's all just opinions. Don't get too worked up about it.

As for the "dissing us" bit - I wasn't. Other people have said what I have said and they continue to say it! You can go and tell them that they're "dissing us" if you need someone to get angry at...

Relax man, it's all just opinions. Don't get too worked up about it.

As for the "dissing us" bit - I wasn't. Other people have said what I have said and they continue to say it! You can go and tell them that they're "dissing us" if you need someone to get angry at...
No no no, I said people dissing us ,as in you, me, etc. You know... That thread where you talk about 20k a year...;)

No no no, I said people dissing us ,as in you, me, etc. You know... That thread where you talk about 20k a year...;)

Huh? The way you have it written, it would seem that I'm to blame. My bad. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I do agree with what you have to say about people getting their panties in a bunch just because we youngsters made a mistake in what we've said. We're people, not robots... expect mistakes!

Seriously, I'm sure that there are sites that are specifically for pilots, so join them if you can't handle yourself because someone that's not a pilot said something wrong. I thought this site was supposed to be about "edutainment," not "eduflamement."

Back