Weighing my options, need advice :/

westonw

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums so if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it :)

Anyways, I'm a senior in HS this year, and have been accepted into the University of North Dakota for a major in commercial aviation. Had my heart set on it since I toured the school my junior year. Recently tho, I've been looking into other more affordable options that will get me the same result but will be cheaper and won't require me to move 1100mi away to the tundra! From UND, I would graduate (class of 2016) with about 270 hours, with about 50 multi (from what I understand). I've also heard that the grads have to compete for instructor spots. With out of state tuition it would be about $170,000. I've done some research and talked to some aviation buds about it, and have figured I can attend the University of Kentucky (I live about 5min away from campus), get half off in state tuition (both parents went to pharmacy school there and mom teaches pharmacy school now.. hello legacy benefits ;) ) get a degree in management, all while I'm working on my private and building hours. I could graduate in 3 years with summer classes (once again, 5min away from campus), and after graduation attend the atp 90 day fast track program at Bowling Green which is about 2 hours away from Lexington. I would be 21, so assuming the 1500 hour rule doesn't get amended, I couldn't get hired by a regional (my end goal.. then move up of course :) ) until I'm 23 anyways, so I could instruct there for a while to build time. Theyre desperate for instructors from what they told me, and fast track grads are guaranteed an instructor job, so that seems like a perfect opportunity to build time before I'm even eligable to be hired.

So.. the way I see it, and I could be totally wrong, which is why I'm coming to you guys, is that I could go UND for $170,000 then at 22 graduate with 270~ hours and a degree I really couldn't use outside the aviation world, OR.. go to UK, get my PPL/build time in college, Then graduate at 21 with a degree I could use almost anywhere and do the atp shindig and get guaranteed a job to build up hours, all for less than $80,000. The decision seems somewhat obvious to me, but there's probably tons of info I'm missing and stuff I don't know , so I was just wondering what you guys would do if you were in my spot. UND, UK+ATP, or something totally different?

Sorry I had to rain words on you guys, just trying to figure out what I want to do with my life after HS, and the best way to achieve my goal of being a commercial pilot.

Any and all help is appreciated :)
Thanks!
Weston

I was going to go to UND until I found out about an in-state community college that had a program that linked in with another colleges 4 year program. In the end I got my Commercial Multi, CFI and CFII and they hired me on as an instructor after I was done with the two year program. Because I taught at the school the rest of the credits were cheaper and I ended up paying $23,000 for flight fees and $8,000 for classes. My instructors ranged from a bush pilot, airline captain, lear captain to a weather mod pilot. Nothing that UND could touch and for $100,000 less. The school is Big Bend Community College. www.bigbendaviation.com or checkout your local community colleges for similar programs.

Don't compromise your college experience based on a perceived career goal. It could change with time, and getting a quality education while having fun is most important.

Where the industry is today isn't where it will be in 3-5 years.

Stay out of or minimize your debt as much as possible.

A degree unrelated to aviation could be a major asset to you in the future.

If it was me, I would got to UK, enjoy being closer to home while getting a degree in something useful, and build time working on all your certificates through a local flight school. At the end, if being an airline pilot is still what you want to do the option is there to pursue it.

It's too cold there..
I too dreamed of attending an aviation college but those dreams changed the second I realized just how expensive it was to get a major in aviation. I'm 17(As you know) and should be walking into college as a freshman with my CFI. And I did it way way cheaper. I'd stay in Lexington, just to be close to home. (Just get out of the home):)

There is no such thing as a guarenteed job in aviation. Do not buy into anything that advertises it.

Honestly, get a degree, get your ratings for whatever keeps you out of debt as everyone else has said.

I didn't realize UND would cost that much, that is a lot of money! I'd personally go to University of Kentucky if it was my choice and I'd almost bet money that the 1500 hour rule will get amended to 700 hours.

Go to UK and get a degree outside of Aviation

Do all your flight training at local flight school. Try a few to see which you like and click with an instructor. Don't go for all the flashy new aicraft with glass. You get the same license as a pilot training in a 1975 Cessna 172 with steam guages paying less. Glass is easy to learn later. Steam gauges on the other hand aren't. You don't have to go to ATP either. If the industry continues on its path (crapshoot at best) you will have no problem getting a CFI job at any flight school and then off to the regionals or 135 freight world.

Find a roomate and get an appartment and live on your own. You will want your freedom and you will learn some things.

AVOID AS MUCH DEBT AS POSSIBLE. AVOID AS MUCH DEBT AS POSSIBLE.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums so if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it :)

Anyways, I'm a senior in HS this year, and have been accepted into the University of North Dakota for a major in commercial aviation. Had my heart set on it since I toured the school my junior year. Recently tho, I've been looking into other more affordable options that will get me the same result but will be cheaper and won't require me to move 1100mi away to the tundra! From UND, I would graduate (class of 2016) with about 270 hours, with about 50 multi (from what I understand). I've also heard that the grads have to compete for instructor spots. With out of state tuition it would be about $170,000. I've done some research and talked to some aviation buds about it, and have figured I can attend the University of Kentucky (I live about 5min away from campus), get half off in state tuition (both parents went to pharmacy school there and mom teaches pharmacy school now.. hello legacy benefits ;) ) get a degree in management, all while I'm working on my private and building hours. I could graduate in 3 years with summer classes (once again, 5min away from campus), and after graduation attend the atp 90 day fast track program at Bowling Green which is about 2 hours away from Lexington. I would be 21, so assuming the 1500 hour rule doesn't get amended, I couldn't get hired by a regional (my end goal.. then move up of course :) ) until I'm 23 anyways, so I could instruct there for a while to build time. Theyre desperate for instructors from what they told me, and fast track grads are guaranteed an instructor job, so that seems like a perfect opportunity to build time before I'm even eligable to be hired.

So.. the way I see it, and I could be totally wrong, which is why I'm coming to you guys, is that I could go UND for $170,000 then at 22 graduate with 270~ hours and a degree I really couldn't use outside the aviation world, OR.. go to UK, get my PPL/build time in college, Then graduate at 21 with a degree I could use almost anywhere and do the atp shindig and get guaranteed a job to build up hours, all for less than $80,000. The decision seems somewhat obvious to me, but there's probably tons of info I'm missing and stuff I don't know , so I was just wondering what you guys would do if you were in my spot. UND, UK+ATP, or something totally different?

Sorry I had to rain words on you guys, just trying to figure out what I want to do with my life after HS, and the best way to achieve my goal of being a commercial pilot.

Any and all help is appreciated :)
Thanks!
Weston

It should not be 170,000. I'm a current UND student and most students get in state tuition easily, after one academic year. Count on it being about 120K for college + flight training (Not that this is much better lol). If you can get half tuition in state in Kentucky though, I'd recommend going there. It's all about keeping the debt low.

If you go $180K into debt for flight training alone, can you afford the $1700ish a month loan payments for a good chunk of your life? I'm paying around $500 a month for student loans and it sucks! For the love of god, go the cheap route!

It should not be 170,000. I'm a current UND student and most students get in state tuition easily, after one academic year. Count on it being about 120K for college + flight training (Not that this is much better lol). If you can get half tuition in state in Kentucky though, I'd recommend going there. It's all about keeping the debt low.

Yeah, after spending 12 months in the state, you can apply to receive in-state tuition. This cuts tuition costs in half.

Or you could very your aviation degree at EKU in Richmond, about twenty minutes from home, you would get in state tuition. They will also hire you as an instructor once you complete cfi. EKU is a good school and they have a nice campus, if that is a factor at all. Its just an option.

Sign up for the Metropolitan College program offered by UPS and U of L. They pay 100% of your tuition in exchange for working the Next Day Air sort/ramp in SDF. It's a great way to get an "in" at UPS and UPS loves to hire from within. You can get your ratings at Bowman or Clark Co. You do not need an aviation degree.

http://metro-college.com/ups/

Don't compromise your college experience based on a perceived career goal. It could change with time, and getting a quality education while having fun is most important.

Where the industry is today isn't where it will be in 3-5 years.

Stay out of or minimize your debt as much as possible.

A degree unrelated to aviation could be a major asset to you in the future.

This is such rock solid advice, Miller. UK is a awesome campus, and you'll have a great college experience there. If the economy is as bad in 2016 when you graduate, why limit yourself to a small industry? Get a degree in something you are interested in but also makes you more marketable than the rest of your classmates. It sucks but a batchelors degree is a dime a dozen these days. The airlines don't care what your degree is in! Also Miller is spot on, stay out of debt as much as you can. I'll tell you first hand that it sucks and you don't want to be paying it off until you are 50 years old. You'll have a great time at UK and you can always go to a mom or pop school or ATP down the road.

Aviation degrees aren't bad.

Unless you get a generic degree like business you will most likely be far behind when it comes time to use your backup degree. A fresh college graduate would be a much better choice that an ex-airline pilot with no experience in their chosen field. The longer you are out of the field you chose the more you will forget.

They said, many aviation degrees are stupid expensive end are not worth the debt

Hi Weston,

I have nothing much to add beyond what folks have already said: keep your costs down, stay out of debt, finish a 4 year degree. If you're local to Kentucky I'd look very hard at the deal the UPS guy laid out. That Worldport looks like a cool place.

That said, I just wanted to add that you're one of the first HS Seniors to come on here with that question who got all his grammar and spelling right. That's got to be worth something....

Already been mentioned but I'll second or third a few things. First of all, don't bother with a high priced degree in aviation. Stay local, stay cheap, and do the management degree if that's what your into. Secondly, there are no guarantees in aviation. I wouldn't pay extra to go to a specific flight school for that. Don't be swayed by the big school marking promises. ATP is a pilot mill designed to get you in and out in min time with min standards. That works, but it's less than ideal if you ask me. I'd stay local and fly while your in school. Get your CFI and instruct local. College can be fun. Don't rush through in three years to get out the door at 21 instead of 22. Your reading too much into those ATP ads that say "seniority is everything, get there now". Naw, have fun and take your time. You are only 18-22 once. No need to rush into the work force like it's the end of the world if you don't get hired a year earlier. The career will still be there. Yeah, seniority is nice but it's not worth rushing through college and flight training for. Like I said, there are no guarantees and you could rush through it all to get on a list only to get furloughed and have to start over. In fact, go into it EXPECTING that and you won't be disappointed.

Resist the temptation to feel you need to have your whole life planned out at this point. It will never work out the way you planned it, so keep it simple and take baby steps. Be flexible. The biggest thing is to stay out of trouble with the law and stay healthy.

Better yet take a year off get your ratings. Go to school locally and cfi while in school and summers. You could end up with a degree more useful than aviation to fall back on if need be, 1000 hours and an aviation job upon graduating.

The school is Big Bend Community College. www.bigbendaviation.com or checkout your local community colleges for similar programs.

I've flown with Chris and my ComSEL instructor is also a Big Bend graduate and both were excellent instructors compared to the dozen or so other instructors I've flown with. If they represent the typical graduate, Big Bend is putting out some very good pilot training and would be worth considering.

Way back in the day I attended Gateway Technical College's flight school south of Milwaukee for 1/2 semester. I didn't like it, felt it was poorly organized and there was very little camaraderie and left. I was there long enough to participate in the NIFA competition which was held at UND, at the time I got the feeling that UND was like a tract housing development...lots of pretty facade without much substance or character. I was also surprised at how many other flight schools showed up, there were a lot I didn't even know about and some were doing very well in the competition. So, shop around and if you get a chance talk with the students and reference graduates.

Back