Waiting for STANDZ class

CFIinSanford

I received my CFII in October and have been invited back to STANDZ class in February. During the break, I decided to test out my certificates at a small FBO. The first three weeks were very slow, a couple of renter checkouts and a BFR. Since then, I have been very busy. In one week I signed up four primary students and did several Discovery flights that I am sure will produce a few more private students.

When I first decided to attend DCA, my commitment included working for the academy. This decision was based on information I received from my recruiter, which included; 80-100 hours per month of flight instruction given, an unlimited supply of students (direct quote), a great work environment, the best training offered in the industry (I do not disagree with this because I am very happy with my training), that I would reach the minimum time requirements for most regional carriers in a shorter time than at any other academy or FBO (less than a year), and that I would have a guaranteed interview with COMAIR and a recommendation from DCA.

However, since "leaving" the academy as a student, and hearing from many current, former, potential, not hired, and "washed out" instructors, I am hearing a very different view of DCA as an employer.

I've always known that I could make more money elsewhere and that I could probably work somewhere else and reach my goal eventually, but I always believed that the trade-off would be an "unlimited supply" of students and that I wouldn't find that at other schools (based on my recruiters "pitch").

What I am hearing is that the 80-100 hours of instruction a month is nowhere near the truth. 20-30 is more accurate. The work environment is very stressful, they sometimes fear for thier job, the hours are long and the rewards non-existent, the guaranteed interview sometimes doesn't come or happens several months after the contract is fulfilled,and so on.

I am getting down to the wire and need to make a decision. Do I take the DCA job and the sacrafices that go with it, or do I stay with the FBO and make more money, actually enjoy the work, and perhaps meet the minimum requirements for interviews in at least the same time period but possibly shorter?

I do not need anyone to make the decision for me, I am a big boy and will be responsible and accountable for my own choices. However, i am seeking advice and opinions from any current, former, potential, and never hired DCA employees and any other CFI's out there that have an opinion.

If you're happy where you're at and getting decent hours, stay put...the major advantage for you now with DCA is you are almost assured of a job with a top tier regional at 1000 hours...not always the case elsewhere but if you work hard and get your multi time, you'll be fine. If Comair is your goal, you can't beat DCA at this point...for everyone else, DCA has no major advantage. Which ever way you stray, good luck!

"i am seeking advice and opinions from any current, former, potential, and never hired DCA employees and any other CFI's out there that have an opinion."

Would you like my opinion? I fly big jets for UPS...

Gotta ask first lest I be accused of simply trying to antagonize the forum.

You mean you don't antagonize just by posting?
grin.gif

Did not mean to exclude UPS pilots in my request for advice. I would be happy to hear what you have to offer on the subject.

The benifit of working at any academy is that for the most part, students are assigned to you regularly, so you don't have to go out and recruit. The number of people at the academies will also increase your networking potential. Socially, you will probably be more happy if you are close to home and family, and you're schedule will be more flexible at an FBO.

The benefits of working at DCA depend on how the regionals are hiring. If they are not really hiring then I think we have an advantage over working at an FBO. If it stays like it is now, with 700 hour pilots getting hired, then DCA loses some appeal. Unfortunately none of us know what is going to happen with that.

Students seem to travel through the groups of the DCA in bubbles. If you hit one of those you can get hours incredibly fast. The reverse is of course true if you keep hitting groups at slow times. Although most people find ways to avoid those by switching groups, etc.

Like I've said before, alot of it just depends on luck. My suggestion would be to to talk to your present employers and see if you can work out a plan to have a job in waiting if you decide you don't want to work at DCA anymore. Believe it or not, many are receptive to it. At least then you can give it a shot and see if you like it or not firsthand. Best of luck, and hope everything works out best for you.

As much as I dislike DCA at this point I would stay. You already paid a substantial amount of money to go through the program. It is downhill from here. Keep doing as much instruction as possible at your hometown FBO so you can get credit when you show up at stanz and reduced the length of your tour at DCA. Put your rubber boots on and sucked up for another year and change. You might get lucky and the guarantee interview may payout.

Good luck either way!

"... actually enjoy the work..."

here's my two cents. if you enjoy where you are, and are making decent $$$ i would consider staying where you are. that is assuming you wouldn't enjoy working at DCA. the last thing any company wants is an employee that dosen't enjoy their job. if you won't be happy here, your students will suffer. if, however, you think you will enjoy instructing at DCA then by all means, come and instruct and get your interview. life is too short to be unhappy with what you do every day. that's why i left my old job and came to DCA, so i could wake up every morning and look forward to going to work. good luck with your decision and if you decide to come back to DCA stick your head into the instrument office and say hi.

ps, the advice above about getting as many hours as you can before you come down is a great idea. i think you can get 200-250 hours credit toward your contract for instruction outside DCA. That dosen't put you too far from the 400 you need to get into the CFI group, where most of the instructors carry many students and have a ton of work right now....

I agree with what was said above. Unless you want to go for Comair, which has high time requirements), go somewhere where you can build your time fast, get 1000 TT and 100 multi and apply for Chatauqua, ASA, skywest, or expressjet. everything you have heard about the stressful envirnoment, threat to lose your job,etc... is true.

Back