Wait or start now

A1TAPE

Hi all. I'm currently in college at the moment with a few years to go before I graduate. I plan on going for my dispatcher cert after I graduate. Since it won't be for a few more years I wanted to ask if
I should consider getting and reading the ASA dispatcher book for 2017 or wait until I graduate to obtain a copy? The ASA book comes with a digital ebook version along with the physical copy. However to anyone who has the ebook version do you get free updates?
Since the FAA takes years to make changes, does ASA update the book every year like how the FAR/AIM is updated yearly or do they update only when enough changes or significant changes are made?

I took an instrument ground course as an elective so I do have some IFR knowledge but wonder what differences there are with pilot IFR vs dispatcher IFR. Such as alternate mins and other regs. Whats the next best steps to prepare early so I can do great and succeed.
Also for the written is it better to take it before i get to dispatch class or while im in class? I used sheppard for my IR so Im gonna go with that for my ADX if thats an option.
Any others tips or suggestions? Thanks .

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm currently in college at the moment with a few years to go before I graduate. I plan on going for my dispatcher cert after I graduate. Since it won't be for a few more years I wanted to ask if I should consider getting and reading the ASA dispatcher book for 2017 or wait until I graduate to obtain a copy? The ASA book comes with a digital ebook version along with the physical copy. However to anyone who has the ebook version do you get free updates? Since the FAA takes years to make changes, does ASA update the book every year like how the FAR/AIM is updated yearly or do they update only when enough changes or significant changes are made?

I took an instrument ground course as an elective so I do have some IFR knowledge but wonder what differences there are with pilot IFR vs dispatcher IFR. Such as alternate mins and other regs. Whats the next best steps to prepare early so I can do great and succeed. Also for the written is it better to take it before i get to dispatch class or while im in class? I used sheppard for my IR so Im gonna go with that for my ADX if thats an option. Any others tips or suggestions? Thanks .
I personally pre-studied about 6 months prior attending dispatch school, that kept me fresh in the game and on Track without trouble understanding in school!
It is alot to take in , the main thing is, you don't have to understand it, you just have to pass it!
With 6 months pre study about 2 hrs average a day i passed the adx with flying colors.
If you are determined and have self discipline you be alright!

I don't know about the ASA prep, but it wouldn't hurt to start studying now and just spring for the latest edition when it's time to see if you find any differences. No reason to wait until the final month(s) leading up to it. The only drawback, as I see it, is that if you don't use it - you lose it. If you study now and take a break for a long time before taking it, it might end up being largely pointless.

The tremendous majority of the dispatcher written study practice should really come down to rote memorization. Trying to factor and work out much of the material is ultimately impractical to your work, and I know a few FAA inspectors who would back that up. You might find it best to take it early if able then focus on the real material when it's time. You won't see or use the material in that test for the rest of your life as a dispatcher nor in school.

Does anyone know if A1TAPE can take the ADX now, pass, and sit on it for a few years then have it count toward the certificate when it's time to go to school? I forgot all that stuff.

If I remember correctly, you have to have get your license within 2 years of passing your written. Otherwise you have to take it again.

I was considering going to Sheffield but i saw the comments the owner wrote on here in regards to criticizms. I felt the owners comments were unprofessional. What are your takes on it? I know sheffield is the best but should one go to a company where the owner bashes critcal comments on an online forum?

I was considering going to Sheffield but i saw the comments the owner wrote on here in regards to criticizms. I felt the owners comments were unprofessional. What are your takes on it? I know sheffield is the best but should one go to a company where the owner bashes critcal comments on an online forum?
No school is better than another. I've met dispatchers at regionals that went to all sorts of different schools, and once you start applying to a major no one is going to care where you went to school. Go to the school that works best for you.

Hi all. I'm currently in college at the moment with a few years to go before I graduate. I plan on going for my dispatcher cert after I graduate. Since it won't be for a few more years I wanted to ask if
I should consider getting and reading the ASA dispatcher book for 2017 or wait until I graduate to obtain a copy? The ASA book comes with a digital ebook version along with the physical copy. However to anyone who has the ebook version do you get free updates?
Since the FAA takes years to make changes, does ASA update the book every year like how the FAR/AIM is updated yearly or do they update only when enough changes or significant changes are made?

I took an instrument ground course as an elective so I do have some IFR knowledge but wonder what differences there are with pilot IFR vs dispatcher IFR. Such as alternate mins and other regs. Whats the next best steps to prepare early so I can do great and succeed.
Also for the written is it better to take it before i get to dispatch class or while im in class? I used sheppard for my IR so Im gonna go with that for my ADX if thats an option.
Any others tips or suggestions? Thanks .
Since you've got a few years to go, don't worry about studying to pass the test. Study to learn about the subject matter, so that the class and written exam are formalities. Get a copy of the Airman Certification Standards and check out the reading list at the back. Study that stuff and you'll know everything you need to know to pass the written and practical.

Since you've got a few years to go, don't worry about studying to pass the test. Study to learn about the subject matter, so that the class and written exam are formalities. Get a copy of the Airman Certification Standards and check out the reading list at the back. Study that stuff and you'll know everything you need to know to pass the written and practical.
Couldn't find an ACS for the ADX but im sure that by the time I get to class they will have switched from PTS to ACS. I looked over what they referred to and all I could find was references to the FAR/AIM, General Ops manual, MEL/CDL (I know MEL is a minimum equipment list but I an not sure what a CDL is. They also referred to hi/lo route charts and the AFM as well as a bunch of ACs and Orders. Not sure whee to start with all of it. If they had a general textbook or something to help me wrap my head around it all that would be great. I know the ASA ADX book is mostly for the oral but is there another book with more substance to it such as one of those 101 books? I found quite a few youtube videos that might be helpful.

Pretty much this is what I found for one section: Practical Dispatch Applications
References:
14 CFR part
65 subpart C and Appendix A
and 14
CFR part
121; 49 CFR parts 175, 830, and 1544;
General Operati
ons Manual, Operations
Specifications, MEL/CDL,
Airplane Flight Manual;
FAA
-H-8083-
25, FAA
-H-8261-
1; AC 00-
2, AC 91
AC 90
-91, AC 90-
105, AC 121-
26; FAA Order 7340.
FAA Order 8260.3; Operations Manuals, AIM/IFIM (what exactly is an IFIM)

Hi all. I'm currently in college at the moment with a few years to go before I graduate.

Concentrate on graduating first. Worry not about anything dispatch related.

Also for the written is it better to take it before i get to dispatch class or while im in class?

Take the written before you get to class. It is one less thing to worry about when you are attending school. Your classmates will be pacing up and down stressing about passing the ADX and you'll be stressing about only passing the O&P.

I also preferred how the material was organized in the Gleim over the ASA test prep book, but either will do. Using the Gleim software and book I passed the ADX with a 96%. Anything above a 70% is a pass so your score doesn't really matter. You can miss up to 24 out of 80 questions and still pass. Thats a lot of missed questions. Just don't miss 25 questions because then you have to pony up another $150-$160 to retake it.

Back