Training at Ari-Ben Aviator---1st Rate

Ok, here's the latest info. on my progress......and no, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Since I completed my commercial ratings, I took approx. 1 month off to go home and visit with family/ friends. It's always nice to take a break.......This high paced training can be a load on your mind....
and as Ferris Bueller once said (indirect quote)...Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around, you might miss something.

However, I'm definitely ready to be finished with the training. During this time off I've been studying for my instructor written exams and taking the ground school course offered here at the Aviator. Actually, I recently finished taking all the writtens that are required for the practical exam (FIA, FOI, and AGI---you only need the AGI if you want to be eliglible for a Gold Seal certificate) and "hopefully" will take the initial instructor/ MEI checkride sometime around the beginning of Sept. We'll see how it goes....as much as I want to be done, I don't want to rush it.....very important to understand just about everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/insane.gif they can through at you. There is soooo much information to digest. But, at a couple hours a day, I should be on target for Sept.

I'm not doing much flying these days and it's driving me insane. Learning all this crap and sitting at a desk day in and out stinks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I can't wait to be flying again!

Well, guess that's it for now......not much new in the land of CFI-wanna-be.....SSDD! I'll keep everyone posted on how the studying is going and when I'm going to have the initial checkride.

Matt

Holy cow......here's my most recent, albeit long overdue, update. We last left off with my completion of all the commercial ratings and I was in the land of CFI-wanna-be's. That was the end of August / beginning of Sept. 04.

Since then, much has happened.....namely 2 major hurricanes that ripped through Fort Pierce. Well, unfortunately for me, I wound up homeless ( in FL ) following these storms. So, I've been in PA (with family) since then. However, I'm glad to say I'm finally back in FL now. Also, I haven't posted until now becuase my computer decided to go swimming in the Atlantic during hurricane Jeanne. Needless to say, it didn't fair very well in the salt water. Soooo, I now have a new comp. and here's my update.

Because I didn't know when I'd be able to get back to FL and I didn't want to slow my training, least I forget too much, I decided to complete my CFI and MEI in PA. Both checkrides were with the local FSDO. I did my CFI first which is atypical for Aviator students because we do so much of our training in the Duchess. Then, another month went by and I decided to continue moving forward, so I completed my MEI. I had tried to hold off on the MEI since it would've been cheaper for me to do in FL; but the monitary savings didn't outweigh the time delay. On a positive note, I managed to fly different airplanes than I would've at the Aviator. My CFI was in a C-172 RG and the MEI in a Seneca II (high performance). Despite finishing both of these instructor ratings at home in PA, I wanted to finish at least one instructor rating with the Aviator......so that left my CFI-I.

Alas, I finished my CFI-I this past Friday and I am now finishing my required 10 hours of "backseating" dual lessons prior to being hired as an instructor here at the Aviator. This 10 hour requirement gives you exposure to different instructors and students. It is a valuable learning tool for a newly minted instructor and a great learning experience. I should have this requirement completed tommorrow and hopefully will be online within the week.
nana2.gif

Unfortunately my original plan of being finished in 6 months didn't work out because of circumstances beyond my control (natural disasters). My experience here at the Aviator has been an excellent one and I'm glad to have completed my training here.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer them.

Matt

How about an update on being an instuctor at aviator? Experience, time flown so far, etc.

Thanks!

Ok, in response to how it's going thus far.

After approx. 2 1/2 months of instructing, I've logged about 80 - 100 hrs. per month. Which is pretty good. Although, there are some instructors who are getting over 100 per month, this is not the norm.
Currently I have 2 "pro" students.....1 is working on his private pilot, and the other is working on his instrument rating. As such, I fly about 4 - 5 hours a day......depending on maintenance and wx.
Instructing is enjoyable.......it's nice to be able to give back some of the knowledge that I've gained over the past 2 years to someone just like I was not too long ago.
However, I've worked as an instructor before.......not flying though. I am also a professional ski instructor and race coach (not much snow skiing here in FL though) So, it's nice to be teaching again. Everyone gets an opportunity to instruct, barring unusual conditions. Some of these conditions would be if you had an incredibly difficult time going through training.....ie. if you failed several checkrides, several times.....etc... That being said, everyone I went through training with is currently instructing, soon will be, or has chosen to leave the school early. Some students/ instructors decide to go home and instruct there because they have certain opportunities/ responsibilities that take them away from the school. This is fine; since after completing the "pro course" you already have the required multi-engine minimums for most regional airlines. It's not to difficult to get a job instructing most places that typically fly single engine planes.........
Everything that Mike/ Ari have said would happen, has happened. They said I could finish the program in 6 months....would have been possible if it wasn't for the hurricanes last year......unfortunatly, they can't control the weather.......though they'd like to think they can......I'm KIDDING......just a joke.
Also, they said I would be hired as an instructor when I finished the program and I was. Furthermore, they said most instructors fly around 80 - 100 hours per month.....so far, I have....although I have had a couple really bad weeks (10 hrs/ wk)....I've also had a couple good weeks (35 hrs/ wk) and it's balanced out resonably well.
Well, that's all I can think of now......any other specific questions or something I've missed just let me know and I'll try to get you the answers.

Oh, 1 more thing........prior to coming here I visited several other flight schools....most said they would also give you a job as an instructor; however, most also had a several month "waiting list" to begin instructing.....this isn't the case here at the Aviator. Within a week or two of completing the required backseat time you should begin instructing. This is a huge advantage because in aviation.....literally, time is money. The sooner you have your hours and are hired by an airline/ company....you're given a seniority number.......everything from then on is based on seniority (your NUMBER). The lower the number, the better-off you'll be......
soooo, the sooner you begin instructing and logging the 80 - 100 hours a month the sooner you'll get hired
cool.gif

Here's the latest and greatest with my experiences at the Aviator.....

After instructing for only 6 months I've managed to rack up about 450hours with about 315 hours of ME time. While I can't confirm this, I would say I have more single engine time than most of the instructors here with comparible total time. The reason for this is because I've had 3 single engine, private pilot students. This isn't typical, unfortunately. The majority of students that come here usually have their private pilot certificate already completed. Guess I got labeled "the guy to get privates finished." Oh well, it all counts towards total time! After all, when you finish the pro course here (200hour) you already have the minimum amount of multi-engine time for most regionals. So, when you're finished, you will have WAY more multi-time than most people at an interview. Therefore, the rest is icing on the cake, as they say.

Ok, so now I have about 730hrs TT w/ 515ME......and have recently scored my first few interviews. One with Colgan and the other with ASA. It's all about the multi-time.....if you come to the Aviator you will have a disproportionate amount of multi-time compared to many others out there. I know I've said this before, but it's true!!!! There were guys at the Colgan interview w/ over a1000 hrs and barely had over 100 multi. Just over 10% of their time was multi....now let's look at my time....730 hrs w/ over 515 multi......this amounts to just over 70% of time in multi-engine airplanes. Huge difference!

I recently went to the Colgan Air interview and it went well. A couple days later, I got the call. "Would I like to join the next class for the Saab 340 in one week?" You bet I want too!!!! At this point, I don't think I'm going to have an opportunity to go to the ASA interview....it's not scheduled for another 2 1/2 weeks and I'm supposed to be in training w/ Colgan in 10 days. Don't think that's enough time to get my interview bumped up and find out if ASA will hire me. SOOOOO, Colgan here I come. Bring on the Turbine Time. Woo Hoo!

I started this adventure last January......20 months ago. I've had a 4 month setback with the two Hurricanes that ripped through here last year. So, in 16 months, I went from 0 time newbie to being hired at an airline. That's including taking what probably adds up to another 6 weeks of vacation time......Not Bad.

Everything Mike Cohen has promissed has happened. Now, it hasn't been without a few bumps in the road, from time-to-time. It's not always the easiest place to work/ train. HOWEVER, rarely in life, are the best things easy! I am convinced this is the best training/ work experience you can have at the best value. Don't bother wasting $80K on the fancy pilot mills.....get your training here at the Aviator. Your bank account will thank you in the end.

Remember, your aviation career will be what you make it! You have to set a goal and do whatever it takes to get there. Don't sit idlely by and do nothing. Set your sights and make it happen! I did!

cool.gif
nana2.gif

Matt,
Congratulations and good luck at Colgan, you were a great instructor, and I'm positive you'll be a sucessful 121 pilot. Again congrats and stop by aviator when you have some time off.

Glad to hear your experience. I'm considering Aviatior right now, and even though I probably won't qualify to be an instructor (not doing the 200-hour Pro course), it sounds like the training is first rate. That's the top priority for me, while getting it done efficiently and getting multi time are second and third.

It sounds like you would agree that getting your CFI ratings there will prepare you to be a good instructor anywhere, not just have a slip of paper. Very encouraging.

Thanks for the well-wishes......I'll do my best to update when I can. It really will depend on if the hotel I'm in has wireless access during ground school. If not, it could be a while.

Back