Tips to Get the Most Out of ACE Career Fair!

But, that's why you paid me the big bucks (LOL) to review your resume and help you customize it! It's not one size fits all! In your case, you need one. You'll be so awesome! You are awesome!

Why isn't there a smiley for clinking wine glasses (I don't drink beer)?
I thought it was because I was "Special"......
I could go for that wine smiley too!

OK, you're special and awesome! And your resume will be great! I'm gonna send you an example of the font formatting I'm talking about. See if you like it.

thanks for the offer, I don't have a resume in my road computer so I cannot until I return after fire season...I will see if Winnie can send me a copy of an old one once she gets back to her desk..

I appreciate what you are doing for our membership...:beer:

OK, I think I've replied back to all (including the comments on the re-writes). If I missed you, let me know!

And a wine glass click back at you!

Here ya go, this is close!

bfa54edf.gif

I'm a newb when it comes to career fairs but do people bring along their most current logbooks or certs? Or is it just nice clean resumes. Also, due to the digital world I have never handed out my resume to prospective employers (usually online apps, fax, and email attachments). Do I need the card stock cotton paper or just plain clean 20lb printer paper?

I'm a newb when it comes to career fairs but do people bring along their most current logbooks or certs? Or is it just nice clean resumes. Also, due to the digital world I have never handed out my resume to prospective employers (usually online apps, fax, and email attachments). Do I need the card stock cotton paper or just plain clean 20lb printer paper?

You know it wouldn't hurt to have your logbook in your room. You will be in the same hotel. If you have some personal letters of recommendation, I imagine it couldn't hurt to have that as well. If someone asks, you could say sure, I have it right upstairs!

I don't think anyone wants to see your certs, that is more for when you get an interview. The same applies for logbooks. But...if they offer an interview, or just a pre-screening interview at another location, then it would be handy to have these items with you. My certs and medical are in my wallet and my logbook on a USB flash drive, but if your logbook is paper it won't take up that much room in a bag.

As for resume paper, just white, 32lb paper is what my resume writing books recommend. Avoid the parchment and highly textured papers-laser toner tends to flake off of these surfaces since they are not flat. Just some 32lb cotton business paper should be fine.

If you do not have a business card holder, this may be the time to get one.

I usually write notes on the business cards as to where I met the person, etc....

Business Cards

For anyone wanting some business cards, go to Staples. For $22 I got a box of 200 cards made in about 15 minutes. They have a computer there with hundreds of templates, but the templates are flexible and the software is a very nice desktop publishing app-you can do what you want with it.

Re: Business Cards

Yes, Bring business cards!!!!!

But as important as having them is knowing when to give them out!

Re: Business Cards

For anyone wanting some business cards, go to Staples. For $22 I got a box of 200 cards made in about 15 minutes. They have a computer there with hundreds of templates, but the templates are flexible and the software is a very nice desktop publishing app-you can do what you want with it.

200! I thought my thirty was enough....back to the presses.

Well it just made sense...it's like $20 for the first 100 (minimum is 100) and like $2 for each additional 100.

It's nice to have a business card anyway. I travel to Japan fairly frequently and when you make an acquaintance there, it is customary to exchange business cards.

It's a lot more permanent than a name and number in someone's cell phone.

So is it bad form to bring your business cards for the company you currently work for or should you go and make some private ones for this kind of event? I've got business cards. Just not private ones.

Really?? I just made a bunch and I put my current employers logo on them, because that is what alot of guys at work have done in making their own business cards....ugh.

Back