Tips to Get the Most Out of ACE Career Fair!

CRJDriver

TIPS TO GET THE MOST OUT OF AVIATION CAREER EXPO / CAREER FAIR

Bring many copies of your resume to submit to employers. Spell-checked, professional looking.

Come prepared--do your homework. Before ACE, you can review the companies attending and their job opportunities by visiting their respective company web sites. If you spend a little time getting some background on a company, then you can ask very focused and specific questions. This impresses representatives because it shows a genuine interest in them.

Dress appropriately. First impressions are important. Dress in "business casual.” Save the suit for the interview!

Allow yourself adequate time. Come as early as possible. Typically, fairs are less crowded in early hours and are busiest at the end.

Get your bearings. When you arrive, take a few minutes to review the map and directory for the fair. You may feel more comfortable if you quickly locate and walk by the employers in whom you're most interested. This will confirm their location and alert you to any crowds or lines of other attendees waiting.

Prioritize the employers you're most interested in. You may find it easiest to start with the employers in which you're the least interested. This will allow you to hone your approach and to be most confident when you approach the employers you're especially excited about. Assume that you will need to wait to speak with some employers.

Introduce yourself. Extend your hand, say "hello" and state your name. Welcome the representative to ACE and thank them for coming. Have your resume ready to give to the employer.

Take notes when you inquire about next steps and the possibility of talking with additional Recruiters/Chief Pilot/Managers, etc. The representative at the fair may not be able to answer all of your questions or know specifics about your job interests. Write down the names, telephone numbers, etc. of other staff in the company whom you can contact later.

Ask the representative for his/her card. Having the business card of the representative you have just spoken with allows you to have a direct contact with the organization, including the proper spelling of the representative's name, direct telephone line, etc.

Respect employers' materials/sample items. Some employers bring large quantities of print materials or "give aways" to take. Other employers bring a few copies of print materials, sample products, etc. as displays at their tables. Always check with employers before taking materials from their tables and don't take materials still packed in boxes.

Be courteous! In addition to representing yourself, you also represent Jetcareers! Demonstrate sensitivity to other attendees waiting to speak with employers by keeping your questions brief and offering to continue your conversation at a later time. Enjoy the fair and your interaction with the employers. Let your positive attitude show!

Be courteous!

This is really important! I spent the last week standing in a trade show booth, talking to people about my company. Spitting in my face when you speak, smelling badly, and being generally annoying is a pretty big handicap right out of the gate if you want to do business with us (or anyone in general).

And please do try to ask some intelligent questions, rather than ignoring my sales pitch that you could care less about.

This, all of this, above. Good show, CRJ!

I might even spend a fair amount of my time in Vegas relatively sober.

(I know, I know, call Guinness. No, not THAT Guinness.)

Solid, SOLID advice CRJ.

The only thing I'd probably add, from a personal perspective is "Don't be shy".

I made fast friends with one of the recruiters at a career fair once, then ran into a JC'er who recognized me and AFTER the fact said, "I really want to work for (airline)". If he had said it earlier, I could have personally introduced him to the recruiter from that airline.

That's a FABULOUS post Corbin!! :)

remember..save the suit for the interview but don't pull a Rex and show up wearing just an undershirt either. (ooooohhhh i had to Rex, i just had to :D)

Business casual is a nice pair of pants with a nice button down or polo shirt...something appropriate yet something you're comfortable in (like a second skin)...and don't forget a good pair of walking shoes, there will be a fair amount of walking between the Ballroom and the Education room. I'll put up a map shortly.

I want to see a sea of calm, classily dressed, friendly people walking around the room....not a sea of nervous, double breasted blue coat, red tie people walking around in a frenzy afraid to step forward and just say hi.

all you're doing here is meeting new friends (including the recruiters). if you view everyone as a someone you really want to get to know and like (like a best friend), you'll be much more approachable, personable and friendly looking when you walk up for introductions (if that make sense).

I was going to ask for this advice a little closer to the event. Good stuff and thanks CRJ!

Here is a quesiton though. If you have an "objective" on your resume, do you make up a general objective or do you make an individual copy for each business you apply to?

I am thinking of making specific copies and then have generic ones for a back up.

I personally think the objective on a resume is rather stupid because the only reason you're giving that person/company a copy of it is to obtain a job. Of course your objective is to obtain a position with XXX company.

Use your cover letter to explain exactly which job you're looking for and how/why you're awesome enough for them to interview.

exactly!

plus, aren't you applying to a specific job?

your resume should speak about all of your abilities....but your objective should speak about the job you want right now. your objective is pretty much by title only. Airline Pilot...or you can list company name as part of your objective too.

if you want to be a Delta Air Lines Pilot, then state that as your objective as if you already have the job.

Under your "objective" (aka: job title you want to attain), you can create a little blurb or introductory paragraph that highlights your skills, expertise etc (again as if you already have the job).

10992d1187210902-brake-lights-built-into-your-lid-akuma-tom_cruise_val_kilmer_top_gun_locker_room.jpg

If that's the wrong one, I'm going to feel like an idiot :D

Come prepared--do your homework. Before ACE, you can review the companies attending and their job opportunities by visiting their respective company web sites. If you spend a little time getting some background on a company, then you can ask very focused and specific questions. This impresses representatives because it shows a genuine interest in them.

just wanted to re-emphasize this.

Learn a little about every company in attendance, not only the one that you're targeting. You might be aiming for an Ameriflight job today, but might be at the networking event and run into the HR manager from Kalitta and could make a networking contact that could benefit you in the next two to five years. It's a small circle, they remember everything! :)

Build your network early and often, BEFORE you need them.

Dress appropriately. First impressions are important. Dress in "business casual.” Save the suit for the interview![/quote]

Business casual does not mean rolling in with an Ed Hardy shirt and girl jeans. Look neat and presentable. You don't necessarily need to come dressed to the nines like Don Draper, but don't show up to the job fair looking like Jeff Spicoli either.

Please--if there is a lot of literature available, have something or somewhere in which to hide the literature. The WORST thing you can do is show up at a booth and be brandishing literature from a competitor. We want to think that we are special to you! Whenever I worked a job fair, we'd take the resumes from those that didn't do that and put them in a special pile (don't bother to review).

It might be business casual, but we are looking for crisp business casual. That means nice shoes that are polished. That means a nice shirt, nice pants (or a skirt for ladies). We look at accessories and grooming too--very much so. For example, if your watch band is frayed, it's better to keep it in your pocket (or purse for the ladies). We notice everything.

I would not be so specific on objectives on a resume. Recruiters move around as do other decision makers. If your resume says you want to aspire to work at Acme Airlines and you impress the recruiter who soon moves on to XBrand Airlines, you've cut yourself out.

Good luck!

We'll have bags for attendees, use them! ;)

Great! But don't show up at a booth with a bag brimming with other stuff! Go to your room and drop the other stuff off periodically! Obvious shoppers are a real turnoff to recruiters--we know you are shopping, but don't be so obvious!

I would not be so specific on objectives on a resume. Recruiters move around as do other decision makers. If your resume says you want to aspire to work at Acme Airlines and you impress the recruiter who soon moves on to XBrand Airlines, you've cut yourself out.

Good luck!

In your experience what makes a good objective? Just more general like "Looking to pursue a career in the aviation industry?"

This, all of this, above. Good show, CRJ!

I might even spend a fair amount of my time in Vegas relatively sober.

(I know, I know, call Guinness. No, not THAT Guinness.)
That would be a complete shocker if you can accomplish that feat!:beer::D

Back