This just doesn't fly! [NBC News]

That was a Great Lakes domicile. Air New Mexico/Pacific Wings also, I think.
I think I'd rather be unemployed, thank you.

(Yes, there are more than a handful of airlines that, should they become the only game in town, will result in my flying a desk/something else.)

My wife chose family medicine, and her income certainly isn't what some other specialities earn. We've had to turn down two job offers due to low pay. (We are trying to find a job closer to a domicile.) Granted, it's more than I earn right now as a first year FO at B6, but I can certainly out earn her once I upgrade. Hell, we have some FOs on the 320 who out earn her.

Anyway, my point is that not all MDs are rolling around in brand new cars and drinking fine wine. Her med school debt was quintuple my flight school debt.

Pretty much every CRJ captain at SkyWest makes significantly more than I did as an engineer, and some of those pilots don't even have college degrees. Heck, I turned down a pretty solid corporate pilot career track to start over at a regional. It was a gamble, and hopefully it pays off. If it doesn't, I will find something else to do that does.

I really don't mean for this to sound elitist, because that's not me. But I WILL make things happen, one way or another. That's just how I am. It may or may not involve aviation, and that's the key to this business... Always have the ability (and the power) to walk away until you've at least landed the "career" position.

As far as people whining about hight debt during entry level years in aviation - duh! I don't have any sympathy. When I started out on aviation almost 10 years ago, there was PLENTY of info out there about the fallacy of starting out in aviation with high debt. If you chose to ignore that, that was YOUR decision.

I really don't mean for this to sound elitist, because that's not me. But I WILL make things happen, one way or another. That's just how I am. It may or may not involve aviation, and that's the key to this business...

This.

Pretty much every CRJ captain at SkyWest makes significantly more than I did as an engineer, and some of those pilots don't even have college degrees. Heck, I turned down a pretty solid corporate pilot career track to start over at a regional. It was a gamble, and hopefully it pays off. If it doesn't, I will find something else to do that does.

I really don't mean for this to sound elitist, because that's not me. But I WILL make things happen, one way or another. That's just how I am. It may or may not involve aviation, and that's the key to this business... Always have the ability (and the power) to walk away until you've at least landed the "career" position.

As far as people whining about hight debt during entry level years in aviation - duh! I don't have any sympathy. When I started out on aviation almost 10 years ago, there was PLENTY of info out there about the fallacy of starting out in aviation with high debt. If you chose to ignore that, that was YOUR decision.

Sorry dude, but just because the info was out there, does not mean it will be found. Not everyone knows where to look. Heck, my dad was a pilot and I knew NOTHING beyond what ratings I needed to get and that stopping training because of lack of funds was not good. So, if I hadn't saved money, I certainly would have taken out loans. Man I searched for a forum like this for YEARS. Don't know why I did not stumble across one until 2006, but for some reason I was too inept to find it until then. From 99 until 06, my aviation forum searches turned up nothing that stood out and all of a sudden I did something right and saw a whole list. Jetcareers looked the most legit. After that, it was like the Wizard of Oz, but my point is that just because the info is out there doesn't mean it will be discovered. I can't understand why some people think that there's no excuse when newbs actually seek the information and don't get the full story for one reason or another. I'm a self made man but I've had a crap ton of help along the way and a crap ton of luck. It has nothing to do with whether or not I neglected to read any official fine print, which I have yet to see.

My wife chose family medicine, and her income certainly isn't what some other specialities earn. We've had to turn down two job offers due to low pay. (We are trying to find a job closer to a domicile.) Granted, it's more than I earn right now as a first year FO at B6, but I can certainly out earn her once I upgrade. Hell, we have some FOs on the 320 who out earn her.

Anyway, my point is that not all MDs are rolling around in brand new cars and drinking fine wine. Her med school debt was quintuple my flight school debt.

My sister in law is an ER doc who graduated med school in 2011. I was surprised to hear how little she is making considering the hours she puts in. She loves what she does though. It will be years before her and my brother are in a comfort zone, financially with their combined incomes. He makes nearly double what she makes as a DOE contractor with only a high school education and maybe a year of college. He was in the right place at the right time.

My sister in law is an ER doc who graduated med school in 2011. I was surprised to hear how little she is making considering the hours she puts in. She loves what she does though. It will be years before her and my brother are in a comfort zone, financially with their combined incomes. He makes nearly double what she makes as a DOE contractor with only a high school education and maybe a year of college. He was in the right place at the right time.

That's odd. I don't know when my sister graduated medical school or got finished with all the other crap involved with being a board certified ER doc, but at 30 she is making 270 to 300+ a year depending on how often she works. I know location has a fair bit to do with it, as well as benefits, insurance etc.

Granted a few years ago she was only making 40k, had 250 grand in student loans, and had worked her ass off to get there.

I think your sister in law will be making a lot more money in a few years.

That's odd. I don't know when my sister graduated medical school or got finished with all the other crap involved with being a board certified ER doc, but at 30 she is making 270 to 300+ a year depending on how often she works. I know location has a fair bit to do with it, as well as benefits, insurance etc.

Granted a few years ago she was only making 40k, had 250 grand in student loans, and had worked her ass off to get there.

I think your sister in law will be making a lot more money in a few years.

Location has a lot to do with it. Las Vegas is among the worst in the US and she works at the state funded hospital. She just interviewed not too long ago to one of the private hospitals but never got the offer.

I have family in medicine and in law.

For every FDX MD-11 captain position, there are probably ten GLA 1900 FO positions.

Back