This just doesn't fly! [NBC News]

Yet someone I know just took a job at a regional less than three weeks ago and still bitches about the pay scales and posted this article on FaceSpace.

Like he didn't see the thin paychecks coming.

Which really makes me think about the big picture... The idea behind H.R. 5900 was that if new hires were more qualified, they would be better compensated. Is that happening, or has the qualification bar been raised and the compensation bar remained the same?

It was? I thought the idea behind it was to give university 141 programs some nice marketing points on their web sites and brochures, "drive planez sooner here!!!@!"

Money makes the world go round.... It's why I get out of bed every morning.

Not that this is the correct attitude, but 14 CFR 61.160 doesn't apply to me. I already took my ATP checkrides, flight trained at a mom & pop part 61 school and earned the degree without ever setting foot in a part 141 program. So I am looking at this trying to figure out how it's going to work in the big scheme of things.

As well as I now flight instruct part time for that same mom & pop flight school that is affiliated with a college flight program. Curious to see how 61.160 impacts the college and local flight school.

You know why my plumber makes $80/hour to clean out my basement drain?
Because if I'm not willing to pay it, he simply doesn't show up.

Although you are correct, keep in mind your plumber doesn't need to log hours cleaning out basement drains to further advance his career. That's the whole problem with the way that the system is setup. The majors, and even the regionals for that matter, are dangling the proverbial carrot in front of our faces until we reach a certain experience requirement. Flight experience is a good thing, I'm not arguing that, but until the industry equally weighs skill and work ethic with flight experience then we will not see what everyone wants to see.

Which really makes me think about the big picture... The idea behind H.R. 5900 was that if new hires were more qualified, they would be better compensated. Is that happening, or has the qualification bar been raised and the compensation bar remained the same?
negative.

The economical idea is that by limiting the supply, ceteris parabus, the price for the good (our pay in this case) will go up.

Not because we are more qualified, but because less people are as qualified as they need to be.

Remember its not how much you earn its how you spend it. single, w/roommate, learn to eat in instead of out you can live on first year. I know, I did it with a member here. We laughed at our first paychecks of the month as they were half guarantee, no per Diem. We were on reserve . Once we became line holders it was doable to even pay for a dates meal! Was I saying it was right to be paid that no, but it is what you are getting paid and you picked the place to be.

I'm going to be a pilot. I'll be making $300,000 a year and work 10 days a month......:oops:

Well, you CAN have the schedule, but you're only gonna make $35,000 a year. WORTH IT.

I haven't flown on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday in years. . . :D

Yet someone I know just took a job at a regional less than three weeks ago and still bitches about the pay scales and posted this article on FaceSpace.

Like he didn't see the thin paychecks coming.

Did he really?

"Crack kills! I've always know, but I just started last week and it's terrible, but I'm not going to stop!"

Umm. WOT?!

negative.

The economical idea is that by limiting the supply, ceteris parabus, the price for the good (our pay in this case) will go up.

Not because we are more qualified, but because less people are as qualified as they need to be.

While I agree with you on that economic principle. I am skeptical to see it implemented that way.

While I agree with you on that economic principle. I am skeptical to see it implemented that way.
Its not a matter of implementation, once they can't find the supply of labor, they must raise the price they are willing to pay to entice more applicants.

The problem is the skilled supply is ridiculously immense

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Its not a matter of implementation, once they can't find the supply of labor, they must raise the price they are willing to pay to entice more applicants.

The problem is the skilled supply is ridiculously immense

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Well yes, if the supply of qualified labor shrinks then yes, the price of the good or service should raise. I completely agree with you on that. However with all these caveats to 61.159 & 61.160, the labor supply will shrink but not probably not radically. Will the compensation go up, or will the employers benefit from keeping pay scales stale and have these "more qualified, higher skilled labor" for the same labor costs?

Except for flight instructing, I've never made less than 40k, hit almost 80k doing aerial survey. There are a few ways to make OK money early on.
Which is not bad but I was referring to the airlines and those ultimately wanting to get on with a major one day.

You know why my plumber makes $80/hour to clean out my basement drain?
Because if I'm not willing to pay it, he simply doesn't show up.
This times a million. No one is forcing you to accept a job for terrible wages. If my employer called me and said hey we're only going to pay you 40k from here on out I'd tell him he'd need a new pilot. If he said 20k, I'd know he was joking and not worry about it. lol.

Back