This just doesn't fly! [NBC News]

Starting pay for pilots is an utter insult to everything that pilots did to reach a position wherein they could carry passengers for hire. It's uttery sickening that the public could care less about some pilots subsisting off food stamps. What you pay for is what you get in return. So does the public want pilots living in crash pads and making bare minimum wage, or well fed and rested pilots who are happy about their line of work? Who wants a lowly paid, unhappy surgeon operating on himself? I would bet no one.

family_tree.jpg
Don't joke, we're on our way there! In passing, I overheard two guys talking about how to pluralize the word tooth. "Bro, is it teeths or tooths? Or is it toofs?"

I wish I was kidding

I will say that most of my dumb, ignorant classmates from high school have popped out at least 1 or 2 kids quite awhile ago. NON of us smart, or at least reasonable individuals have procreated yet. :confused:

I'm from a small town and by looking at the scientific anathema that is Facebook, most of my classmates who squoze puppies out fairly quickly after (during?) graduation all seem to be living vicariously through high school and college sports that their children are playing.

Junior made a poopie. I'm SO blessed. Click if you like.

Starting pay for pilots is an utter insult to everything that pilots did to reach a position wherein they could carry passengers for hire. It's uttery sickening that the public could care less about some pilots subsisting off food stamps. What you pay for is what you get in return. So does the public want pilots living in crash pads and making bare minimum wage, or well fed and rested pilots who are happy about their line of work? Who wants a lowly paid, unhappy surgeon operating on himself? I would bet no one.
Last year I went to an alumni event from my college, Cornell. There were many physicians in attendance. I could have sworn it was an airline pilot group, not medical school graduates of a fine Ivy League institution! They were all complaining how their wages have been cut by the hospitals and payments cut by the insurance companies! They said they don't know how someone graduating medical school today with $250,000 in debt can make it on those wages. They said the public doesn't care because, if they are insured, they only see premiums and co-pays, deductibles, and coinsurance. And a lot of employees have know clue as to what the real premium is because many pay between nothing and 20%. If they do pay premiums, they want them low. And the employers want them low. So the insurance companies wring it out in their contracts with the providers in their network. They were all saying how they counseled their children not to pursue medicine as a profession. It was so strange! Now I have no idea what these new doctors make who have $250,000 loans, so it could have all been hooey!

I just read a Cracked article stating your surgeon may indeed be unhappy, drunk or on pills because of being a doctor.

Yeah...um...I know you're smart and all, but just check the demographics of the fast food, or likely the food service industry as a whole, and then reference the rates of reproduction for said demographic groups.

You think fast food workers are checking JetCareers out for insight on sound reproductive decisions and the economic impacts that are associated with poor reproductive decisions?

Now come on maaaaaan.

This. Some people are just going to be fast food employees. For whatever reason, there is going to be that group of people who are unable to better their position in life. Lack of education, brought up poorly or not at all,etc. Some folks are just not capable of moving beyond fast food, hourly retail, or whatever other minimum or barely above minimum wage job they can hold. Doesn't mean that they are lazy, they just don't know any better and can't learn how to know any better.

Last year I went to an alumni event from my college, Cornell. There were many physicians in attendance. I could have sworn it was an airline pilot group, not medical school graduates of a fine Ivy League institution! They were all complaining how their wages have been cut by the hospitals and payments cut by the insurance companies! They said they don't know how someone graduating medical school today with $250,000 in debt can make it on those wages. They said the public doesn't care because, if they are insured, they only see premiums and co-pays, deductibles, and coinsurance. And a lot of employees have know clue as to what the real premium is because many pay between nothing and 20%. If they do pay premiums, they want them low. And the employers want them low. So the insurance companies wring it out in their contracts with the providers in their network. They were all saying how they counseled their children not to pursue medicine as a profession. It was so strange! Now I have no idea what these new doctors make who have $250,000 loans, so it could have all been hooey!

I think a lot of people will not make the connection you made and remain committed to letting the public know about what they should know about their plight. I have a feeling those fast food workers are about to find out what it's like to have whipsaw right in their face, if they haven't already.

A buddy of mine took their advice and is about to be a PA with a quarter of the school loans as a doc. Starting pay is $90K or so but only the gubberment will be stealing from him, not the insurance companies. However, doctors are mostly intelligent people (discriminating factor) who can do math (discriminating factor) and will probably have a meaningful shortage long before the pilot "profession" will.

There's a line standing out the door for pilots (some willing to do anything including paying an employer for a job) because of the perks and/or the fun. I don't think the same can be said for the doctors of the world.

Two and four year medical programs seem to be a good return on investment. The worst I hear people say about the job is weird hours and dealing with coworkers they don't like. Big deal, what job is not like that? Plus, that is a growth industry. It seems pilot who think of medical jobs automatically assume they must be doctors. I'm not sure why that is.

Last edited:
I do call BS (generally) speaking on the whole not recommending one's own children into various professions. Numerous people have bashed a career and swore that their kids wouldn't go into flying/medical/law, etc. Then it turns out the kids did *exactly* that career, and got the education on the parent's dime and the foot in the door due to the parent's influence. Boy, they meant business about that awful career!

I do call BS (generally) speaking on the whole not recommending one's own children into various professions. Numerous people have bashed a career and swore that their kids wouldn't go into flying/medical/law, etc. Then it turns out the kids did *exactly* that career, and got the education on the parent's dime and the foot in the door due to the parent's influence. Boy, they meant business about that awful career!

If either one of my twin boys(or both) want to fly, I'll gladly teach them if I can. I can try to tell them not to fly for a living, but if they want to, then I need to do what I can so they can have a better career than me. Maybe the industry will be better in 20 years when they are in college, but I obviously can't see that. But they won't be doing any PFJ nonsense because I didn't. I highly doubt we'll be in the position to "give" them an education. Plus, my wife is a schoolteacher, they'll understand you don't get a grade, you earn it. As I move around in aviation, it's always been who you know that gets you an interview or whatever. It's what you know and determination that get you to your seat.

I remember back in early 2008, my Senior final for Highschool was having to do a persuasive research presentation, and I chose regional wages. They were actually a little worse back then, Skywest was paying $19/hour for sure for first year Brasilia F/Os. I made sure to point out the fact that when airlines open domiciles in cities like Farmington, NM, they know damn well no one applying lives there or can manage a commute. So, they fully expect new hires to commute, work longer hours that most minimum wage employees in town, and when you look at the duty hours, take home less money, have less time off, and have uber billion times mroe responsibility. At the end of my presentation, my English teacher demanded I present her with research because she didn't believe anything I said was true. For quick reference, I linked her to APC and she was appalled. In fact, just about everyone in the class was pretty appalled. The public really does want pilot pay and QOL to get better, I sincerely believe that, just so long as they can still fly from San Francisco to New York for $250 roundtrip.

I'm glad we can agree that the common enemy is the insurance companies, at least...

And I have a friend who's doing gynecology/family medicine at a medical school that will be named later; her student loans make me faint dead away, and makes flying look like a reasonable and sound career choice.

I remember back in early 2008, my Senior final for Highschool was having to do a persuasive research presentation, and I chose regional wages. They were actually a little worse back then, Skywest was paying $19/hour for sure for first year Brasilia F/Os. I made sure to point out the fact that when airlines open domiciles in cities like Farmington, NM, they know damn well no one applying lives there or can manage a commute. So, they fully expect new hires to commute, work longer hours that most minimum wage employees in town, and when you look at the duty hours, take home less money, have less time off, and have uber billion times mroe responsibility. At the end of my presentation, my English teacher demanded I present her with research because she didn't believe anything I said was true. For quick reference, I linked her to APC and she was appalled. In fact, just about everyone in the class was pretty appalled. The public really does want pilot pay and QOL to get better, I sincerely believe that, just so long as they can still fly from San Francisco to New York for $250 roundtrip.
I'm glad we're hiring so I won't have to go to Farmington, should it become a thing. :ooh:

Back