This just doesn't fly! [NBC News]

Remember its not how much you earn its how you spend it. single, w/roommate, learn to eat in instead of out you can live on first year. I know, I did it with a member here. We laughed at our first paychecks of the month as they were half guarantee, no per Diem. We were on reserve . Once we became line holders it was doable to even pay for a dates meal! Was I saying it was right to be paid that no, but it is what you are getting paid and you picked the place to be.

It was totally manageable. Fortunately for us, we got based in a cheap ass (you can totally say ass on here!) city. The other lifesaver was a Nintendo GameCube with MarioKart and MVP Baseball 2005.

Except for flight instructing, I've never made less than 40k, hit almost 80k doing aerial survey. There are a few ways to make OK money early on.
I've also yet to not make 40k in a year. But I think we've done similar things. ;)

lol sorry

Seriously though, I just wish they would pay those guys what they deserve.

Don't they do that already? Not trying to be an ass, but years of chasing quick upgrades and going to known under cutters chasing hours has sort of set the bar right where it should be. The moment pilots stop undercutting each other is the moment they won't be making what they deserve.

What do you guys feel about the "Fast Food Strike"?
I feel everyone deserves a living wage that they are willing to work for. You can specify work how you want, but showing up on time and doing the best you can for the time you belong to the company seems to be a fair trade to me for adequate compensation. We all have different ideas on "adequate" but no one should have to apply for food stamps who flies an airplane. Not instructing, not at the regional level, just shouldn't happen. But it is, it will and that will continue.

"So don't take the job, stop slitting your throat and everyone else's". Not so fast. How could you not take a job offered to you that is what you want to do? In your chosen field? Something you might have wanted to do, perhaps since you were small? That you've sacrificed to get to by whatever means. For some it's 100k in debt and a BS from a well known school. For others it's a second career from an industry that might have paid better. And in this industry, where time( and timing) is everything, who wouldn't jump at the chance to fly "even a turboprop" to get experience, even for •ey pay, get time and keep going?

Most fast food workers didn't put hours of time and thousands of dollars into a fast food "career". If you have a degree and are working there to pay bills until you find a job in your field, OK. Hell, if you aspire to be a Mickey D's manager so you can become a franchisee one day or at least go up their corporate ladder, I understand it.

But $15 an hour to be a fry cook or whatever with a HS diploma or GED when a regional pilot will make less than that AFTER years of school, military service,CFI, (insert your time building choice here) just makes me cringe. It makes no sense to me, just like paying athletes millions.Or when local school districts have funding issues. they cut the Arts and such first, but the football field will get a 100k make over and the coach will be the highest paid faculty member.

I mean, if the lowlights of this article, the crash of Colgan 3407 and everything else done about low pay in the regional air carriers, haven't done anything, what will? No one wants to pay what it costs to go places in airplanes anymore and that won't change. You can't stop people from taking jobs they want to have for low pay. And the airlines seem to have us all right where they want us. And that doesn't seem to change either, except there will be a shortage of pilots at some point. Wait. No. Maybe? No, but. Yes. No ??????

And that doesn't seem to change either, except there will be a shortage of pilots at some point. Wait. No. Maybe? No, but. Yes. No ??????
I don't know, but I do know that every open trip for FO's for the next 6 weeks at my company is being offered at 150% pay.... And there is a ton of them.

We also just got an email stating that every hour worked in excess of 6 over the min. guarantee will be paid at 125%. Shortage or not, we are massively short right now.

Nobody should raise a family on fast food wages. Fast food wages are for kids. Here's a newsflash...you want kids...get a better job. Fast food jobs aren't meant for raising a family....never was, never should be. If you can't do better than Fast Food the don't have no DAMN KIDs....gawd....

DE727UPS said:
Nobody should raise a family on fast food wages. Fast food wages are for kids. Here's a newsflash...you want kids...get a better job. Fast food jobs aren't meant for raising a family....never was, never should be. If you can't do better than Fast Food the don't have no DAMN KIDs....gawd....

Yeah...um...I know you're smart and all, but just check the demographics of the fast food, or likely the food service industry as a whole, and then reference the rates of reproduction for said demographic groups.

You think fast food workers are checking JetCareers out for insight on sound reproductive decisions and the economic impacts that are associated with poor reproductive decisions?

Now come on maaaaaan.

Yeah...um...I know you're smart and all, but just check the demographics of the fast food, or likely the food service industry as a whole, and then reference the rates of reproduction for said demographic groups.

You think fast food workers are checking JetCareers out for insight on sound reproductive decisions and the economic impacts that are associated with poor reproductive decisions?

Now come on maaaaaan.

family_tree.jpg

Back