The jump seat battle with the uneducated.

Honest(?), curious question, what do the 121 carriers use as ballast? Water, lead, depleted uranium? Where is this "ballast" stored? Chemtrail formula evidence.

Honest(?), curious question, what do the 121 carriers use as ballast? Water, lead, depleted uranium? Where is this "ballast" stored? Chemtrail formula evidence.

Like was said, normally 25 (or 50) pound sand bags. We also used inflight magazines a lot and every once in a while there were metal plates. Normally they get kept near the gates so the rampers don't have to drag them around too much to get them loaded on board. Or did you mean where is it stored on the plane? If that's what you meant, it goes in the bin with the rest of the bags.

Useless facts...

In the CRJ701 we used to have to take about 200 pounds of ballast in the front bin if we were ferrying the airplane empty with no FAs on board.

You can ONLY have sand bags or other non flammable items in the bin if your cargo fire detect/protect system is broken.

My personal record was adding 850 pounds of ballast to get a jumpseater on the CRJ200.

We pretty routinely shuttled sandbags around the system so they would be in place when somebody needed them.

Fortunately the new plane doesn't need ballast so I don't think we even have sand bags out here.

Like was said, normally 25 (or 50) pound sand bags. We also used inflight magazines a lot and every once in a while there were metal plates. Normally they get kept near the gates so the rampers don't have to drag them around too much to get them loaded on board. Or did you mean where is it stored on the plane? If that's what you meant, it goes in the bin with the rest of the bags.

Useless facts...

In the CRJ701 we used to have to take about 200 pounds of ballast in the front bin if we were ferrying the airplane empty with no FAs on board.

You can ONLY have sand bags or other non flammable items in the bin if your cargo fire detect/protect system is broken.

My personal record was adding 850 pounds of ballast to get a jumpseater on the CRJ200.

We pretty routinely shuttled sandbags around the system so they would be in place when somebody needed them.

Fortunately the new plane doesn't need ballast so I don't think we even have sand bags out here.
We NRFO'd an empty, forward-galley configuration Brasilia from Redding to Arcata one night...after the small but impressively fit ramp gal on duty threw a few hundred pounds of sandbags into the aft bin. It was impressive.

We NRFO'd an empty, forward-galley configuration Brasilia from Redding to Arcata one night...after the small but impressively fit ramp gal on duty threw a few hundred pounds of sandbags into the aft bin. It was impressive.

image.jpg

Quick question for you Delta guys. I know that you can pre-list for a jumpseat on your own metal but what about a DCI carrier? Can you pre-list for them also? I ask because I had a situation on my commute the other day where I was at the gate 90 minutes before departure (don't ask) and initially listed on the flight (DCI operated by SkyWest) as a non-rev with plenty of seats available in the back. Then United cancels a flight and some of them get rebooked on my flight and the seats disappear. I see this happening and approach the agent 30 minutes before departure, inquire about the load and she says it doesn't look good so I ask about the jumpseat and she says someone is already listed for it. Interesting to me because for the last hour I was the only pilot standing around the gate area and I haven't seen anyone walk up to the counter with badge in hand to list. I wait till the end of boarding and just as I am turning to make the dash to terminal B to try a make a Southwest flight this gentleman in a Delta uniform appears out of the ether and I ask him if he is the one listed on the JS and he says yes. I say OK and bolt for terminal B so hence my question. Can you guys pre-list? I just thought it was interesting because I was at the gate for 90 minutes and never saw this guy until the end of boarding.
Get to know the agents at your airport. I guarantee that mainline guy does...

I had a United agent (back in my XJT days) list me for a flight 1 hour and 5 minutes before departure time. That got me a verbal berating and a front row seat to a temper tantrum of epic proportions, inclusive of a threat at the end, from a mainline United pilot. All I said to him was that it didn't matter what time either one of us checked in, it was SkyWest flight and I had priority. He then proceeded to inquire why I had priority, with spittle flying.

Me: "Because they own us."
Him: "Well, I'm not aware of anything like that."
Me: "Just because you're not aware doesn't change the fact."
Him: "Well, I hope you NEVER come over to United."
Me: "Excuse me?"
Him: "I hope you NEVER come over to United."
Me: "Is that a threat?"
Him: (Silence and storming off in a huff).

God, I miss being a UAX pilot.

Eh. I'm the nicest guy in the world, but move me from the "off" detent (and it takes a bit of force, plus breaking safety wire and lifting the switch guard), and my Sarcastic-matron goes right to 11.

I would have burned this guy to grun-dust with my scowling stink-eye-beams of fury.

Richman

Usually sand bags. They move around the country a lot too.

If everyone else is using sandbags, then I guess I can understand why you can't get ballast from a certain mainline partner at LAX.

Eagle has special molded heavy rubber/plastic bars with the Eagle logo, that weigh 25lbs a piece - Eagle's not allowed to use a real "Sandbag." stacks of magazines are okay as a last resort. As far as I know every station has a baggage cart loaded with them, so that they're available if needed. Since they're probably special order made, they probably don't want to load them into a non-Eagle aircraft and have their special made ballast bars go missing.

Always needed 600lbs to ferry an empty CRJ-700 - until they put the first class cabin in - once the first class cabin got installed, ballast was no longer needed for an empty ferry flight.

Get to know the agents at your airport. I guarantee that mainline guy does...

Also, with Delta, you can list up to 6 hours prior to departure. May not be cool in the commuter code of conduct, but commuting is a contact sport. You can always give the seat to another guy if his circumstances are more dire (family emergency, going TO work etc.) but if we are both going home, may the best man win

I had always wondered about ballast and being placed on board. Very interesting discussion. Thanks again for teaching me something new.

The morale of the story is how much the CRJ is a POS.

However the crews that get jumpseaters on, that requires ballast, are not.

The bird I am supposed to fly uses fuel as ballast (170). I think we've only ever required that once?

The helicopter (UH60) doesn't require ballast, however, with some installed equipment, max fuel pushes us out of CG. And we have to burn about 100-150lbs. Which is usually done during startup. (If we are only 2 crew)

If you've been to RDD, you likely know the gal I'm talking about; watching her throw 50-lb sandbags around like they were toys was, um, well, I don't know for certain what that feeling was, actually. :p
You should see the gals that work the outstations in Alaska and the stuff they move. Seriously.

-Fox

I used to encounter this gate agent in the B terminal at IAH... she worked down in those ExpressJet gates where there was one door for about 10 airplanes. ANyhow, very angry lady with short curly blond hair. She refused to even acknowledge jupseaters or offline pilots. After her ignoring me for 20 mintues, I went to her neighboring desk. THey laughed, filled out my JS form and signed it, and gave me the carbon copy. I walk back over to the first lady and literally held the JS form right under her nose. She still refused to make eye contact with me! She stared at it for a minute, grabbed it, and dropped it on the desk.

Luckily another lady was doing the scanning and announcing, so she called me up when the time was right.

I've dealt with that lady a few times, and she never varies her routine of hatred.

I used to encounter this gate agent in the B terminal at IAH... she worked down in those ExpressJet gates where there was one door for about 10 airplanes. ANyhow, very angry lady with short curly blond hair. She refused to even acknowledge jupseaters or offline pilots. After her ignoring me for 20 mintues, I went to her neighboring desk. THey laughed, filled out my JS form and signed it, and gave me the carbon copy. I walk back over to the first lady and literally held the JS form right under her nose. She still refused to make eye contact with me! She stared at it for a minute, grabbed it, and dropped it on the desk.

Luckily another lady was doing the scanning and announcing, so she called me up when the time was right.

I've dealt with that lady a few times, and she never varies her routine of hatred.

Yikes! I got off the hook easy listing for the jumpseat in IAH out of those gates a month or so ago. Glad I didn't have that happen to me. Was my first time doing the whole jumpseat deal.

Why is it that some people just want to watch the world burn...? :(

Hmm, I haven't see her yet. My last episode was when I was commuting on my own airline from home to work. I checked in as a non-rev online, but the flight was way oversold so I stood in line a long line to ask to jumpseat. A United pilot had already requested it. I get to the front at 29 minutes prior to departure, and request the JS. Agent says I'm too late. Their new policy is 30 minutes cutoff time. Umm no, I just want to switch my non-rev listing to JS on my own aircraft. Still no, and she called the next customer up behind me. Luckily the United pilot was cool and offered to tell the captain that I was here and he would relinquish the jumpseat to me. I also called our dispatch to let the captain know I was up at the gate. After an argument, the agent finally gave me the seat, and off I went. I commute out of MSY, so I gotten to know the agents there as well as the other United pilots that do the commute. I'm just worried I'm going to see her again, and she's going to deny me again or something. At that point, I'll be having a talk with the station manager.

Back