“The front fell off..” DAL

One of these:

1706130160318.png

And this too:

1706130226780.png

In my experience the absence of those parts would be the only way a wheel comes off unless an axle broke. I once worked at a place that had a G-IV load up, taxi out and then return a couple minutes later with an obviously wobbly nose wheel and pilots complaints about a rough ride and strange noises. Turned out the Chief Inspector for the MX dept had changed a nose wheel and apparently had no idea what he was doing. But the point is the wheel, and its nut were still present, it was just all incorrectly installed in a haphazard fashion that led to a thankfully immediate failure. I don't want to talk about the place that kept blowing nose tires and finally checked the tapes and realized one of their mechanics was afraid of high pressure nitrogen bottles and would use the O2 bottles instead when servicing tires. There's a reason why we use nitrogen.

Honestly I feel like this belongs in the Boeing Max thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my experience the absence of those parts would be the only way a wheel comes off unless an axle broke. I once worked at a place that had a G-IV load up, taxi out and then return a couple minutes later with an obviously wobbly nose wheel and pilots complaints about a rough ride and strange noises. Turned out the Chief Inspector for the MX dept had changed a nose wheel and apparently had no idea what he was doing. But the point is the wheel, and its nut were still present, it was just all incorrectly installed in a haphazard fashion that led to a thankfully immediate failure. I don't want to talk about the place that kept blowing nose tires and finally checked the tapes and realized one of their mechanics was afraid of high pressure nitrogen bottles and would use the O2 bottles instead when servicing tires. There's a reason why we use nitrogen.

A friend working for a different outfit had a similar experience at a destination that was less than ideal for maintenance. When they made the necessary calls up the chain to report the anomaly, an effort was made to coerce them into flying it back less one wheel. My friend declined, and left the operation shortly thereafter.

Another colleague works for airport ops at a busy class C with 91, 121 & 135 operations. During a FOD check, they discovered a wheel assembly and were able to determine that it was from a base tennant. Turns out they didn't even know it was missing, or at least played it off like they didn't.

Last edited:
A friend working for a different outfit had a similar experience at a destination that was than ideal for maintenance. When they made the necessary calls up the chain to report the anomaly, an effort was made to coerce them into flying it back less one wheel. My friend declined, and left the operation shortly thereafter.

Another colleague works for airport ops at a busy class C with 91, 121 & 135 operations. During a FOD check, they discovered a wheel assembly and were able to determine that it was from a base tennant. Turns out they didn't even know it was missing, or at least played it off like they didn't.
I don't hate airplanes, I love airplanes. I'm not a fan of the people that inevitably seem to magically appear around cool airplanes.

Virgin flight bound for NY was cancelled after a passenger reported “missing bolts” from the wing. No mention of aircraft type…..

What’s going on with MX?

Virgin flight bound for NY was cancelled after a passenger reported “missing bolts” from the wing. No mention of aircraft type…..

What’s going on with MX?

A few months ago I rode a Delta 737 to SLC. Looking out the window on landing I could see a faster that seemed to be floating. As soon as the plane slowed on landing it fell back into place. I was going to point it out to the crew, but on my way out of the plane I passed a mechanic who came on to fix an overhead bin and showed him the video. He seemed almost interested.

A few months ago I rode a Delta 737 to SLC. Looking out the window on landing I could see a faster that seemed to be floating. As soon as the plane slowed on landing it fell back into place. I was going to point it out to the crew, but on my way out of the plane I passed a mechanic who came on to fix an overhead bin and showed him the video. He seemed almost interested.
Not in “The Book”, not my problem!!

Back