Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much Delta Airlines Pilot!

In terms of 67 and life changes ...

Had a partner for nearly 15 years, most senior guy in the room. I left before he did but saw his decline (diabetes). Learned just yesterday as I had lunch with a friend/former County Battalion but now County Car 2) of a serious issue resulting in the forced retirement of the former coworker, a legal action against the supervisor to remove her from that position, and possible liability by the County.

My former coworker and friend blew a call and a deputy sheriff was injured as a result. The supervisor admitted she knew he was acting in a diminished capacity at the job yet did nothing about it. It is a huge mess for everyone involved at this point.

It may be hard to make voluntary changes for health reasons or due to age. I get that. Maybe I won't surrender my car keys when I should, tho' right now I hope I will. There is a reason there are bosses/supervisors/and people who objectively watch and care and make hard decisions for a greater good when we can't do so.

In the case I cited a forced retirement, a supervisor who is being demoted (if she chooses to stay on the job) and a pending lawsuit against the County because of someone who knew for health reasons, along with everyone else in the office, that they should have stepped down several years ago.

Experience and desire doesn't always trump reality and certainly not when a hundred lives or more could be at stake.

I'll say it again: get out while you're on top of the game and enjoy the years you have left as soon as you reasonably can.

SPECIAL JAIL!
1690603557798.jpeg

I think science resonates with lawmakers over arguments about what age 67 will do to the seniority based system. So, I think ALPA’s statement is weak.

Cognitive decline is not a steady decline just as other health issues are not a steady decline. The pattern is a precipitous drop, a plateau, followed by a precipitous drop, repeated….

For the vast majority of pilots, age 65 is fine. After that, it’s really pushing it.

But they have to really work at getting scientific studies done to make the case.

FWIW, I just had an early retired pilot that I could not sign off on. He was a long time captain at one of the big ones..

When was that study done?

It wasn't a study, just a roster of Southernjets pilots who have passed on over the last few decades and the average age of expiration. Some natural causes, some murder victims, car accidents, some "holy mah beer Cletus, watch this… YEET", etc.

For the vast majority of pilots, age 65 is fine.

My experience is anecdotal of course, but I'd say not. Especially in a long haul, timezone shifting environment. 61 or 62 seems to be where I switch over from just being an FO to being a hyper vigilant FO. I just flew with a guy who is 64.5 and other than the casual racism he was absolutely fine. That's kind of the exception though.

My experience is anecdotal of course, but I'd say not. Especially in a long haul, timezone shifting environment. 61 or 62 seems to be where I switch over from just being an FO to being a hyper vigilant FO. I just flew with a guy who is 64.5 and other than the casual racism he was absolutely fine. That's kind of the exception though.
Well, I have to admit I never flew long haul and bid away from red eye flying because I knew I would not function well. So, I guess self awareness is critical, just as it is critical to recognize when one has to hang up other activities. I have stopped actually flying and riding my beloved motorcycle for those reasons. I know that, at 71, I am not where I should be to safely perform. I’ve replaced those activities with others where I am capable.

No clue what got into me, but here it hangs in all its glory. I haven't been back to the place since that long-ago evening. I imagine not many people have "art" from a restroom at Red Lobster hanging in their home, so there's that ...
View attachment 72910
Man! That is not a small picture. Either the staff at the lobster is very unobservant, or you had on a hell of a large overcoat!

“Casual racism.” LOL!

It’s kind of sad how that’s just par, for the flying with boomers course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Day 3, flying along fat dumb and happy with the radio quiet:

CA: "hey have you ever wondered why [racial or ethnic group] does [stuff]?"
me: "um."

“Casual racism.” LOL!

It’s a thing. I’ve had to stop a few ‘more seasoned’ copilots over the years to have them consider the audience.

Never overestimate emotional intelligence in a pilot. We sit in the cockpit, for hours on end, with little social interaction with the outside world. Then many go to Irish bars, together, and talk about work and various complaints, then return to the cockpit where we fly home, stare at the wall and complain we didn’t get that overtime trip while mad at the world.

It’s a thing. I’ve had to stop a few ‘more seasoned’ copilots over the years to have them consider the audience.

Never overestimate emotional intelligence in a pilot. We sit in the cockpit, for hours on end, with little social interaction with the outside world. Then many go to Irish bars, together, and talk about work and various complaints, then return to the cockpit where we fly home, stare at the wall and complain we didn’t get that overtime trip while mad at the world.

So far I’m a month or two into this whole captain thing and I’ve had an FO thank me for: not “being political”, not “discussing the news” and one for “realizing I had overloaded them and when to own it.”

I’m not perfect and I did get thrown a massive curve ball in the middle of the night but at least I have a smidge of empathy and learned how to can carry on a conversation at house parties in Santa Cruz during the 90s.

I feel like I’m going to have to pay for one of those submarine trips to find how far the bar has sunk for leadership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back