Another pilot shortage article from the cargo viewpoint (long)

SPIFR doesn't crash airplanes because of avionics. Never has.

maybe but I'm sure freight dogs of the past would have loved to see a little blue airplane's position to a storm cell. All I'm saying is we have more technology and options now.

maybe but I'm sure freight dogs of the past would have loved to see a little blue airplane's position to a storm cell. All I'm saying is we have more technology and options now.

Jesus Christ, no! I'd have closed my eyes, started crying, and let go. Ignorance is bliss, in certain pursuits.

"It's not that bad, dude. It's fine. You'll be through it before you know it. Relax. It's fine! It's fiiiiiiiiiiine!"

Then you got there and looked at the flightaware track. Actually, that's something else that should be done away with.

I was thinking the same thing. Instead of changing the law how about letting supply and demand take it's course. Raise the pay enough to attract applicants and pass the cost to the users/customer.

In all deadly earnest, this.

It's fun to talk about the good old days (and they were good, if you liked to get scared and then drink a lot. Or, ok, not get scared and still drink a lot), but creating (or maintaining) a "bush league, you might die, but you'll probably learn alot" cut-out isn't what you'd call a modern idea. By the time I was doing it it was sort-of-reasonably safe, but look at the accident reports for freight at ANY level prior to say 1995. It's like they were trying to recycle the old metal by putting it back in the ground at high speed. One level of safety.

Pay the pilot more?

images

In all deadly earnest, this.

It's fun to talk about the good old days (and they were good, if you liked to get scared and then drink a lot. Or, ok, not get scared and still drink a lot), but creating (or maintaining) a "bush league, you might die, but you'll probably learn alot" cut-out isn't what you'd call a modern idea. By the time I was doing it it was sort-of-reasonably safe, but look at the accident reports for freight at ANY level prior to say 1995. It's like they were trying to recycle the old metal by putting it back in the ground at high speed. One level of safety.
Born too late to fly cancelled checks, born too early to haul ice from the belt, born just in time to browse dank memes.

Back