Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much Delta Airlines Pilot!

Do you want to die as early as possible? Because flying till 67 will make you die earlier than retiring from 60-65. You can’t take your $$$ with you guys and gals.
But but but… (insert financial excuse). I listen to some folks especially here at brown and can tell that someone else is going to enjoy their retirement while they’re pushing up daises.

Congress is probably going to have to raise the retirement age a lot more in the future to keep planes flying. The next generation of pilots is going to have a hell of a time getting approved for an FAA medical with their archaic mental health restrictions. Anybody know any kids that haven’t been diagnosed with ADHD/Depression/Anxiety etc? Or maybe that’s the reason for the single pilot push?

WTH is wrong with these people? I’m doing everything I can to retire at 60. Get a freaking life.

I don’t understand this argument. Assuming you’re healthy and can hold a medical, why not?!

In your 60s with 30+ yrs at your shop (or mine), we’re talking the ability to hold 19-20 day off lines AND annual vacation if 40+ days. Spread out correctly, that could be one week of vacation (5+2) for 8 months of the year. So maybe 6-8 days of work for 8 months, and 10-11 days of work for 4 months?

Sorry, but you’d have to be a fool to walk away from that. I understand health issues, personal issues, family issues, eg, being there for a dying loved one, etc. But barring those issues, why wouldn’t you continue the best part time gig in your 60s and get insane money for doing it?

Do you want to die as early as possible? Because flying till 67 will make you die earlier than retiring from 60-65. You can’t take your $$$ with you guys and gals.

I’ll buy that. But also acknowledge, that retirement kills people too. Doing a job to then having tons of time off and doing not a whole lot. Lotta guys expire sooner for that reason.

I feel dirty posting these sources. Let me find you a DailyMail article.
Nice!

Very interesting data from the SSA source.

An observation that is made in that study is that many of the people that retire early may do so because of health issues, thus possibly giving the false (?) impression that early retirement results in earlier death rates.

Can someone clarify. Age 65 means you can work until Age 64 and 364 days but this new age 67 is 67 years and 364 days? So it’s actually a 3 yr increase?

Can someone clarify. Age 65 means you can work until Age 64 and 364 days but this new age 67 is 67 years and 364 days? So it’s actually a 3 yr increase?
I believe it would be 66 and 364 days. Age 67 being the cut off age.

Nice!

Very interesting data from the SSA source.

An observation that is made in that study is that many of the people that retire early may do so because of health issues, thus possibly giving the false (?) impression that early retirement results in earlier death rates.

While I agree that correlation isn't causation, anecdotally, my family has been pretty long lived, and they have all remained quite active in their retirements (both parents and grandparents). I think it has an effect on cognitive function and just general morale. But that is guessing. And I don't think that flying the line in your 60's is super healthy, even if some do.

A special shout out to the Delta Airlines Pilot, who had his Congressman brother, raise the retirement age to 67!

WOOOOHOOOOO

:sarcasm:

If an FAA medical is worth a damn, fly 'til you can't pass an FAA medical. (If an FAA is NOT worth a damn, spend some union bucks to fix THAT first!)

I mean, if I were in the pilot (scarcity) protection racket, I'd totally agree with your sarcastic point of view. Sadly, I'm a hard core rationalist. Damn the torpedoes, Full Rationalism Ahead!

Or is it that pilots, too, now do not believe in medical science?

I got my gin and tonics (quinine) lined up with fresh limes... I'm hoarding adrenochrome so I can LOOK GOOD! and fly forever! Come at me! Hint: I never mess with booze and flying, but you'll get me for being drunk LOOOOOONG before you'll touch me for being incapable.

If you gots yourSELF a niche, I'm here to call the glitch.

Last edited:
My favorite part is those who told everyone else to stop eating avocado toast so they can buy a house are asking the very same generation to subsidize their own bad decisions into the twilight years. Hell nah man. Helllll nah.

If an FAA medical is worth a damn, fly 'til you can't pass an FAA medical. (If an FAA is NOT worth a damn, spend some union bucks to fix THAT first!)
it is, in fact, not worth a damn for most health issues. It will catch irregular heart rhythms and potential diabetes. Full stop. Every thing else can be passed by finding that one special AME that asks you to read the same eye chart from 1972 and listens to your deep breaths a few times.

It will not measure any other health metric and passing a first class medical cannot be linked to how long you may live as a human. It’s also not a good indicator of whether or not a 70 year old aviator will hit the VNAV alt intervene button 10 times while descending in FLCH while cursing the airplane for being dumb.

Actually, our little friend Bill isn't quite right in this case. Unlike most legislation, the House bill will not get walked over to the Senate for debate and amendment. The Senate creates their own bill, and the two bills then slug it out until they end up as a single battered mush with parts of one another sticking out at weird angles.

Since it hasn't been posted yet, here is ALPA's public statement on the passage of the House bill and the remainder of the process:

WASHINGTON, D.C.—The Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA) today issued the following statement after the House of Representatives passed H.R. 3935, the Securing Growth and Robust Leadership in American Aviation Act. The bill contained a poison-pill provision, which, if enacted by the Senate, could raise the airline pilot retirement age from 65 to 67.

“As the world’s largest nongovernmental aviation safety organization, ALPA is committed to keeping flying safe. Unfortunately, H.R. 3935 as passed by the House will introduce new risk by raising the mandatory pilot retirement age.

“Raising the retirement age is not only a solution in search of a problem, but it is also a proposal that has not been studied or vetted by aviation safety experts—those upon whom we all rely to keep flying safe, including the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Department of Transportation, both of whom oppose a change for exactly this reason. Earlier this week, lawmakers even voted against allowing a full and open debate on the House floor, which would have let Americans learn about the risks being introduced to air travel. When people in Washington put personal or special interests ahead of the public interest, Americans lose, and bad public policy gets made.

“Representative Jack Bergman (R-MI-1), a former Northwest Airlines captain and retired U.S. Marine Corps lt. general and recognized aviation safety expert, said it best when he explained his ‘no’ vote on final passage of the FAA reauthorization bill:

‘The powers that be pulled out all the stops to silence dissent and shield the American public from a debate they know they can’t win.’

“The retirement age increase will upend union collective bargaining agreements, create training backlogs, and complicate airline flight operations. This is bad for unions, airlines, and passengers who will see additional delays and costs.

“As the Senate continues its FAA reauthorization deliberations, ALPA pilots and supporters will continue to push back against raising the airline pilot retirement age and similarly fight any attempts to weaken current pilot training requirements.”

He's (insert your pronoun of choice, if bothered) right. You'll know it for sure one day when you "get there." I promise - it may come in a blinding moment of awareness, might be a slowly growing understanding that brings "fruit" in its time. Not regret, really, but awareness - sentient thought - that the days are winding down, and no matter how we yearn for it (and you will) there's not a goddamned thing one can do to change the reality. Finding peace in the knowledge of what inevitably comes is, sometimes, harder than one might imagine. Hopefully you can, and will.

Back