tailwheel

Flying Bison

To the tailwheel instructors, how difficult is it to get a tailwheel endorsement? I am a CFI CFII with 800+ hrs and I've really wanted to get the tailwheel endorsement, but i want to estimate how much its going to cost.

I appreciate any insight

FB

If you can do a proper crosswind landing in a trike, you can do one in a real airplane. It's just a lot more critical that you do so.

Also you can't mentally checkout while taxiing.

On average, how long do you think it takes to become proficient enough to get the endorsement?

My CFI quoted 2-6 hours,he "assumed" 2-3 as he has flown with me before and knows how I tick. He wants it done in 2-3 days, as he desires to have various conditions & crosswinds as well as wheellandigs covered at nauseum.
He flies out of a 1300 ft grass strip with trees on each end - I can't wait.

Good luck & have fun!

You should be fine in around 6 hours. The key is "should". I have been able to get most profficient pilots through in approximately that amount of time. Every one of those 6 hours will be pattern work so figure on around 60 or so landings to get a decent feel of the characteristics.

The interesting thing about tailwheel though is you will feel great after a few hours and feel youve got it but every hundred hours or so the tailwheel will let you know otherwise and grab your attention. Ive flown a pretty wide variety of tailwheel aircraft and there is quite the contrast between them all. If you want to take less time try out a citabria or a J-3 as both are extremely docile.

I did my tailwheel endorsement at around 900 hours, same as you...

I think it took me 5 or 6 hours, and I consider myself to be a fairly mediocre pilot (seriously, no sarcasm intended!).

The thing to remember is that a tailwheel endorsement is on about the same level as a student pilot solo endorsement. It means you're safe enough to handle the plane you were trained in, flying under relatively simple, unchallenging conditions. You'll understand the dynamics of tailwheels, but you probably won't be a pro. You'll need to be very careful about what wind conditions and aircraft you fly in. It's not a free ticket to hop in any tailwheel plane at any time (well, legally it is, but common sense dictates otherwise).

For me, I got signed off after 5 or 6 hours in a Citabria. Then I bought my Cessna 140. I took 10 hours of training in it and felt like I was learning tailwheel flying all over again because it was so different from the Citabria. I solo'd it at 10 hours, then took another several hours of training to get more comfortable with it.

Then I flew it around for another 10 or 15 hours by myself to practice before carrying passengers. Even after that, I was still very picky about the wind conditions I flew in.

I gradually felt more and more in control of it. After about 60 or 70 hours in it I finally felt like I'd learned its limits. No matter what the winds, I could wrestle it to the ground without crashing.

Now I have just shy of 200 hours in it and I know it like the back of my hand, but I still screw up on a regular basis. Making a nice wheel landing is about a 70/30 proposition for me. It's just that now when I botch a landing, I'm good enough to save it.

Hope this helps!

I have given countless tailwheel endorsements out and have trained a couple primaries starting off in a 140 and the average is 5 hours to get proficient. Now honestly though some are naturals some are not. Those who are naturals can do it in 3 hours, those who aren't look at around 10 hours. Also being a CFI and if your in a tandom aircraft like a Citabrea or Deca, you should also get time in BOTH the front and back since it is different. All in all not hard, just remember stick back on landing and you'll be golden.

=Jason1

I got mine in about 6 hrs. Don't be hasty though, get with someone that will teach you the in's and out's of tailwheel rather than one that promises you the quickest sign off.

I had a guy fly in the other day and he said he could get me my tailwheel within 3 hours in a 65 horse Aeronca.....are you kidding, that's about how long it would take to go around the pattern once in that plane. Might be worth a shot though.

I got mine at 3.6 hours of instruction.

I had just gotten my CFI so I was treating myself to something fun! So, there I was, a "S#$%-hot" 500hr pilot with an ink-wet CFI I just knew it was going to be a breeze!

When I put the power on that 65 horse t-cart I was humbled. The whole time I was S-turning all over the runway the good ole boy in the back was laughing like a baby with a new binky.

Is there anyone or anyplace around Austin that does tailwheel instruction?

EDIT - Found someone. Does it in an Aeronca Champ. Heh. That might be the next goal.

Take a look at our website if you are wanting to get it done in the Phoenix area. www.aerobatics.com it will take a minimum of 8 hours with us (if you are squared away). The average is 12-15. But we also train you to the nth degree in Supercubs. You must be proficient in three point and wheel landings, shorts, one wheel taxi (x-wind simulation), slips, 180 degree turning slips, fast approaches, etc... Give us a look..

Justin

Take a look at our website if you are wanting to get it done in the Phoenix area. www.aerobatics.com it will take a minimum of 8 hours with us (if you are squared away). The average is 12-15. But we also train you to the nth degree in Supercubs. You must be proficient in three point and wheel landings, shorts, one wheel taxi (x-wind simulation), slips, 180 degree turning slips, fast approaches, etc... Give us a look..

Justin

One wheel taxi???

Justin

Appreciate it, but it's gotta be in Dallas or Austin. :)

One wheel taxi???

My TW instructor did this with me in the 185F. Accelerate, raise tail and put the airplane on either wheel (as instructed) while adjusting power to remain firmly planted on that wheel. Just run down the RWY like this, changing wheels... the shorter the field is, the more fun. Kinda hard on the tires and for the first try, I had my hands full, but it's fun. Lots of it.

I usually tell people to plan on 10 hours; I've had some sharp pilots do it in as little as 6, but most are about 10 hours. Some say this is overkill, but if you read the endorsement it says I've found you to be proficient as PIC in cross wind and wheel landings- so that's what you have to show me. (Okay- go-arounds as well). The day after one CFI accused me of overkill a pilot with a quick 5 hour TW endorsement wrecked a Super Cub at our airport.
If the pilot wants it, we do some spins and upset recovery training as well during each hop.
As with most things in flying, you get what you pay for. If you want a quick TW endorsement, you can probably find a CFI to do it. If you want to learn how to fly TW airplanes, you may need to ask around for someone who will really teach you. Chandler Air Service in Phoenix is one of the ones with a good reputation.

To the tailwheel instructors, how difficult is it to get a tailwheel endorsement? I am a CFI CFII with 800+ hrs and I've really wanted to get the tailwheel endorsement, but i want to estimate how much its going to cost.

I appreciate any insight

FB

I did my first TW flight with Blackhawk today and my advise is to plan on six to ten hours. Spend as much time as you need to become proficient and comfortable. I didn't realize how little I used the rudder until today and it was an eye opening experience.

I got mine and my CFI spin endorsement at the same time in around 6 hours. I really enjoyed it. I feel like I could take a Citabria or Super D solo in windy conditions if I had to, but I would feel a lot more comfortable with some extra dual. We also did lots of those one wheel taxi deals on the runway, they were fun!

I give out tail-wheel endorsements in the supercub (the only tailwheel I ever flown). I'd figure on 10 hours for everyone. You could get a sign off with a lot less hours with your experience if you wanted just the signoff, however I usually go to different mountain dirt strips and do extensive crosswind practice with them as well as a couple hours of mountain flying. Our insurance requires 10 hours of dual anyhow to fly the cub solo.

Back