Strapped for pilots, Republic asks partners to reduce flights

This, too, can change. Mind you, I don't think it will, at least not in the immediate future, but everything is always on the table. That anything is "safe" is the most pernicious illusion of all.
No no, I get that. I'm speaking more towards the inherent design of the job itself. Traditionally mainline jobs are jobs that one strives for...the end game by their design. Regional jobs are not that. They are by nature a stepping stone. I super senior, highly paid pilot group is not what the business types want. They want to keep their costs low and a way to do that is to recycle their seniority lists often.

What year was he hired at United? Unless it was in the last couple years or he's directly involved in hiring, he has no idea.

It's no different than here. You can ask me about what we think is great and awesome on a resume here, and I've got no idea. I have even hooked a couple buds up to get the call, but have no idea what the Resume Picker 6.0 wants this week.

I don't remember exactly his title, but it was something to do with hiring people.

As stated to me, from the United jump seater recently about "lateral" moves,

"So you get hired here, and then Delta or American calls, and they have projected upgrade times less than us. Are you going to leave for them too?"

He said it looks bad on a resume. I have to agree with him on that point.

I know a guy who left US Airways during his initial SIM training and went United. United didn't mind it one bit.

I know a guy who left US Airways during his initial SIM training and went United. United didn't mind it one bit.

And I know a guy (and when I say I know, I mean I fly with him a lot, knew what was going on, and called him the day after this event) that had a meet and greet with the chief of chiefs for United in Willis Tower. He said that that chief told him, "We don't care that you've applied to other airlines. You're most likely going to go to whomever calls first. We get that. I have no idea what the magic point number is to get hired here. But if this is really where you want to be, then we know you'll come over when you get called."

So, yea, I'm not buying the lateral moves bit either.

I wish I had waited 3 years to make the move to the regionals. There are a lot of incentives out there that make that first year more bearable, and one or two with a good shot at a flow. That being said, you get in, and get out (preferably not by getting fired) as soon as you can get to a place where you could bear being stuck when the music stops. There's lots of money to be made outside the 121 world as well, while you are waiting for that call from mainline.
That being said, let us hope they never get the single pilot thing approved because that would change things drastically, relatively quickly, and not in our favor.

The average new hire class has some SWA's, some AA's, some UAL's and some JB's.

We all poach one anothers talent.

mshunter said:
As stated to me, from the United jump seater recently about "lateral" moves, "So you get hired here, and then Delta or American calls, and they have projected upgrade times less than us. Are you going to leave for them too?" He said it looks bad on a resume. I have to agree with him on that point.
Like going LLC to Major?

Like going LLC to Major?

*shrugs*

Jumping regional to regional, IMO, looks bad. Moving up, and let's be honest, just about any move from a regional is up, probably not. Were I on a hiring board, if you left one regional for another, you had better have a good explanation.

*shrugs*

Jumping regional to regional, IMO, looks bad. Moving up, and let's be honest, just about any move from a regional is up, probably not. Were I on a hiring board, if you left one regional for another, you had better have a good explanation.
But why does it look bad to have no loyalty to a company that doesn't want your loyalty...and actually wants you to leave?

But why does it look bad to have no loyalty to a company that doesn't want your loyalty...and actually wants you to leave?

Pretty sure most companies don't actually want their employees leaving. They want to grow and take over the market.

Pretty sure most companies don't actually want their employees leaving. They want to grow and take over the market.
Sure I understand that companies want to grow and take over the market, but I can't help but feel that FFD carriers don't want a large pilot group all sitting up near the top of the pay scale. It seems to me that these carriers are designed from the ground up to be a stepping stone. There isn't much to encourage longevity.

Sure I understand that companies want to grow and take over the market, but I can't help but feel that FFD carriers don't want a large pilot group all sitting up near the top of the pay scale. It seems to me that these carriers are designed from the ground up to be a stepping stone. There isn't much to encourage longevity.

I can agree with that.

My first day of class at our current place Scott Hall came in and told us just that. He wanted us to show up and leave before we get too expensive.

My first day of class at our current place Scott Hall came in and told us just that. He wanted us to show up and leave before we get too expensive.

Then why aren't they offering early retirement packages to all the old codgers? The list on what we fly is so freaking senior, I'm waiting to have to declare because the old dude next to me keels over.

Good ol' Scott.
While true, regionals are currently in a conundrum. Even a senior pilot is a pilot, and currently regionals are having a tough time finding replacements for any pilot that leaves, junior or senior.
But the current structure makes it hard on some airlines (such as XJT). Since pay and work conditions are not bad a great number of senior pilots stay at these airlines than at other regionals. Junior (lower paid), pilots leave to get their PIC time elsewhere. This gives XJT a much more expensive pilot pool than a place like Go-Jet.

*shrugs*

Well... with you and your questionable display of comprehension skills. Any place with you on a hiring board, is a place I wouldn't want to be!

I kid... because I'm a kidder.

:)

No one ever said I had to be smart to fly an airplane, EVAR!

Pssssh... I just really need for you to comprehend what I'm saying to the questions, that you ask. Quicker, so that I don't have to write the same thing, five different ways, before the light in your head finally turns on!

:)

Back