Strapped for pilots, Republic asks partners to reduce flights

It doesn't have to be. Easiest job to leave at work is 121.

I haven't flown 121, so I don't doubt it's very easy to leave at home. But man, I think single pilot outstation based 135 freight was the easiest job to leave at home I ever had. At least at one of the companies I worked for. I called ops when I left, I called ops when I got back, and I went to training once a year. That was it. Up to and including the fact that when my airplane was due for mx, another one just magically appeared on the ramp the next night. It was absurd. And wonderful.

I haven't flown 121, so I don't doubt it's very easy to leave at home. But man, I think single pilot outstation based 135 freight was the easiest job to leave at home I ever had. At least at one of the companies I worked for. I called ops when I left, I called ops when I got back, and I went to training once a year. That was it. Up to and including the fact that when my airplane was due for mx, another one just magically appeared on the ramp the next night. It was absurd. And wonderful.

What happens if you're unexpectedly sick or want to take vacation though? Could they actually get someone to cover you on a short notice?

What happens if you're unexpectedly sick or want to take vacation though? Could they actually get someone to cover you on a short notice?

I think that happened once. IMS, the DO grabbed whatever was sitting on the ramp and flew up from Tulsa, never heard a word about it from anyone. To be fair, Air 1st was a particularly great company if you were of the uh "sort" that liked that type of flying. I like where I work now rather a lot, and I think there's a similar, eh, what, "ethos"? But at the time, I was a guy who'd had two "legit" aviation jobs and something like 20 "other" jobs. I couldn't believe it...kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Like, uh, "so, when's my Performance Review, and how will this affect it?" I don't think they knew the phrase. Show up, don't screw up, work hard, and the paycheck arrives on time with the correct number of zeroes at the end. How it ought to be, IMHO.

I think that happened once. IMS, the DO grabbed whatever was sitting on the ramp and flew up from Tulsa, never heard a word about it from anyone. To be fair, Air 1st was a particularly great company if you were of the uh "sort" that liked that type of flying. I like where I work now rather a lot, and I think there's a similar, eh, what, "ethos"? But at the time, I was a guy who'd had two "legit" aviation jobs and something like 20 "other" jobs. I couldn't believe it...kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Like, uh, "so, when's my Performance Review, and how will this affect it?" I don't think they knew the phrase. Show up, don't screw up, work hard, and the paycheck arrives on time with the correct number of zeroes at the end. How it ought to be, IMHO.
That is an accurate depiction of my regional airline job, FWIW. (Even though I want them to add a zero.)

That is an accurate depiction of my regional airline job, FWIW. (Even though I want them to add a zero.)

ALPA.jpg

Man, even at Flight Express(which is still the best flying job I've ever had all things considered), I was the ONLY guy in STP. It seemed like they could have probably thrown everything on the caravan and worked everything out of SUS, but a sick call definitely had the feel of "this is going to fug up EVERYTHING and we'll go out of business" based on the ONE maintenance issue I had up there. There was definitely a ton of pressure with "OK, you CAN'T live on Mountain Dew and cigarettes, and you really need to not catch more than a head cold, EVER!" :)

Presently, I take all of it home sometimes, I shouldn't/need to, but I've seen what happens with no oversight and I'm not what you call a line pilot anymore... :) Even when I was though, some things with that damn Metro do require regular review so a service failure doesn't happen due to you being an idiot.

Some old timer at RAH should forward The Rev his "I'm the Captain" memo of the oughts.

It would be, ahem, apropos at the present juncture.

I think I'm the only person who wasn't miserable at RAH after reading this thread.
Nope, not alone. I for the most part have enjoyed my two years here. I like the flying we do, the people, the aircraft, and believe it or not I have had mostly positive dealings with the company. I've worked some long days, but i've never been pushed to do something illegal, nor have I been in a position where I had to "grieve it and fly it."

I don't really want to leave. lol, I don't really want to stay, but the idea of a lateral move for me is not a pleasant one. The ONLY reason I am debating jumping ship is just to protect the future of my career. If the "wheels are falling off" I don't want to be stuck at a doomed airline. I also don't want to be stuck in the right seat for ever and a day.

It always cracks me up hot hated some of these regionals are on message boards. I get it, regionals suck pretty much as a standard, but some of the crap I see is mind blowing. So much bitterness leaks into people's posts that they lose all objectivity. On the other board I've seen people outright lie about conditions here and our contract. It's really sad.

Yeah, they sure showed them at (insert list of bankrupt, dissolved, whipsawed etc. regional ALPA carriers here).

(Also, you are preaching to the converted. ;) )
While I know you have been converted, what is the purpose for wanting ALPA, really? I ask out of ignorance, because to my knowledge you have the pay, contract, qol, and stability(relative) without the bureaucratic garbage of ALPA

While I know you have been converted, what is the purpose for wanting ALPA, really? I ask out of ignorance, because to my knowledge you have the pay, contract, qol, and stability(relative) without the bureaucratic garbage of ALPA
More than I want more money, I want rules, and consistent enforcement thereof.

More than I want more money, I want rules, and consistent enforcement thereof.
OK, the money part I don't think they can help with, but I will say at my shop they do a good job enforcing the rules of the contract...still have the fly now grieve later mindset, I've just never been thrown into it

I would second this, I'm a newbie with no 121 experience, but I can't imagine it gets much easier then this...

Back