Stay CTI or join the ANG?

blakehanson

Hello everyone!

Im a cti student and would be graduating in Dec 2010. Ive been thinking about possibly pursuing ATC in the Air National Guard instead of cti. I feel like there will be more to be learned and I will gain actual controlling experience which is far more important than anything at cti school, while getting paid rather than doing the cit route and learning on sims and learning theory. I realize that the reserves, before im eligible to apply VRA, may take a little bit longer (wouldnt be too much longer). I believe I have to do basics, tech school, than a year at my facility/base. Then a voluntary deployment is required to get the veterans preference and apply under VRA.

I was just wondering what every one thought of the switch? Pros and cons? What do you guys think? Would it be smart?

Thanks alot for your input!

I'm not 100% sure and someone correct me if I am wrong, but in the Air Force I believe Tech School for ATC is about 36 weeks and that's after 6 weeks of Basic. I think that's what it was when I looked into it, but again I'm not 100% sure. You could always apply for the upcoming pubnat too.

I'm not 100% sure and someone correct me if I am wrong, but in the Air Force I believe Tech School for ATC is about 36 weeks and that's after 6 weeks of Basic. I think that's what it was when I looked into it, but again I'm not 100% sure. You could always apply for the upcoming pubnat too.

yea its something like that. Then a year at a facility after tech school. Then the deployment for your VRA Preference. Then I should be able to Apply Vra and just do my 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year.

Someone whos gone this route or knows about it could confirm it?

And of course ill be applying for the pubnat. But, the pubnat is not a ure deal. Of course, neither is VRA a sure deal, but its more of a deal. Ya know? And ill be gaining valuble experience.

yea its something like that. Then a year at a facility after tech school. Then the deployment for your VRA Preference. Then I should be able to Apply Vra and just do my 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year.

Someone whos gone this route or knows about it could confirm it?

And of course ill be applying for the pubnat. But, the pubnat is not a ure deal. Of course, neither is VRA a sure deal, but its more of a deal. Ya know? And ill be gaining valuble experience.

Finish your CTI. VRA takes too long to become eligible an there is no guarantee that you will get your CTO (You will not make a referral list if you don't...It happened to me)

Back